Commute (drive) to manchester

Does anyone drive over to Manchester city centre daily? Until we move, I'm going to have to do this for a couple of months. We're in Hillsborough so I'd guess getting to the station and getting the train would take too long (and be expensive). I'm hoping that if I leave at 7 it shouldn't be too horrendous, and either leave at 4 or after 6 for coming home.

Any views? I drive over regularly but not at rush hour. Is the Woodhead or Snake the best, or do people do other routes to avoid Glossop/Mottram. It'd be good to get some rough ideas so I don't upset my new employer, and keep my sanity.

Edited by mogwai84

Just don't make any plans for your Friday evenings....

Lorries tend to use the woodhead pass so i'd avoid that route

It is doable, but it isn't great, have you considered driving to Glossop station to get the train from there? it cuts out the Mottram trap and parking costs in Manchester if there are any.

I did it for almost 4 hrs. i did the snake

find someone to show you the derbyshire level and birds nest. thats the shortcut that misses out glossop.

cheers. I've looked on the map and that could be a real help. is there any benefit of going all the way out to charlesworth and broadbottom? I know that on a bad day Glossop and Mottram can take an hr to get through. Happy to hit some country lanes to miss out the drag if they're reliable.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 21:27 ----------

It is doable, but it isn't great, have you considered driving to Glossop station to get the train from there? it cuts out the Mottram trap and parking costs in Manchester if there are any.

New work has subsidised parking for £6.50 a day which makes driving attractive over the £20 odd train. I'm sure the train will be used sometimes, but driving seems the best option all round.

Its ALWAYS worth going through broadbottom and charleworth.

a nice extra tip. as you get on the M67 take the first slip off and turn into denton, then drop onto Hyde road (the a57)

it will completely avoid the 30 minute queue at the end of the M67. then go around the roundabout and down to broadbottom.

total milleage will be 5 miles more than going down motram bank and through glossop but will cut lots off your drive home

my timings from the trafford centre to home where

monday - thurs 90 minutes

fri 2 hours

any day after 8pm 55 minutes.

i did the commute daily for 4 yrs.

cheers, that's a massive help.

Its ALWAYS worth going through broadbottom and charleworth.

a nice extra tip. as you get on the M67 take the first slip off and turn into denton, then drop onto Hyde road (the a57)

it will completely avoid the 30 minute queue at the end of the M67. then go around the roundabout and down to broadbottom.

total milleage will be 5 miles more than going down motram bank and through glossop but will cut lots off your drive home

my timings from the trafford centre to home where

monday - thurs 90 minutes

fri 2 hours

any day after 8pm 55 minutes.

i did the commute daily for 4 yrs.

The road layout has changed at the M67/M60 junction. There's not as much of an advantage to use the A57 because it doesn't have separate junction on the roundabout.

Does anyone drive over to Manchester city centre daily? Until we move, I'm going to have to do this for a couple of months. We're in Hillsborough so I'd guess getting to the station and getting the train would take too long (and be expensive). I'm hoping that if I leave at 7 it shouldn't be too horrendous, and either leave at 4 or after 6 for coming home.

Any views? I drive over regularly but not at rush hour. Is the Woodhead or Snake the best, or do people do other routes to avoid Glossop/Mottram. It'd be good to get some rough ideas so I don't upset my new employer, and keep my sanity.

It will be horrible, and leaving at 7 will make it at least a 2 hr commute.

I did it for a fortnight once and I was a zombie by the end of it.

What about some cheap Monday-Friday lodging for a couple of months? It might be an additional cost but will save your sanity.

Have a look on spareroom.co.uk

It's probably worth mentioning that the train is a viable option, leaving Hillsborough at 7am. You can get the 7:32 from Sheffield which gets to Piccadilly at 8.36. There are also now free shuttle busses from the station in Manchester.

http://www.tfgm.com/buses/Pages/metroshuttle.aspx

The cost of a weekly/monthly ticket works out at £8.81 per day. When I was commuting, I spent easily £200/month on fuel, not to mention the additional servicing and maintenance costs, and I was only paying £20/month for parking.

Edited by biotechpete

It's probably worth mentioning that the train is a viable option, leaving Hillsborough at 7am. You can get the 7:32 from Sheffield which gets to Piccadilly at 8.36. There are also now free shuttle busses from the station in Manchester.

http://www.tfgm.com/buses/Pages/metroshuttle.aspx

The cost of a weekly/monthly ticket works out at £8.81 per day. When I was commuting, I spent easily £200/month on fuel, not to mention the additional servicing and maintenance costs, and I was only paying £20/month for parking.

How do you work that price out? A monthly season ticket comes in at about £16 per day if you work 20 days a month. Plus cost of bus/tram each way.

This won't be for more than a couple of months. Think i'll give driving a go and then switch to the train if it's unbearable. Can get a tram just before 7 and should be fine to get the 7:32

It will be horrible, and leaving at 7 will make it at least a 2 hr commute.

I did it for a fortnight once and I was a zombie by the end of it.

Yes I felt like that after doing it for just a couple of days.

Would use the train if possible if I had to do it again.

Horrible commute.