Best route to Manchester airport via motorway

I've been looking at driving to manchester airport but prefer to stick to motorway depending on weather would it be m1 to leeds then m62 then m60 then m56 any help appreciated I know if would be longer but depends on snow this weekend

hi not sure about the motorway or if this is useful for you but if your flight times allow it look at the train too, from either Meadowhall or the City Centre, its not expensive and takes a load of hassle and headache away.

Train is no good as fly at 8.00 in morning

Train is no good as fly at 8.00 in morning

The first train leaves Sheffield at around 03:30 and gets to Manchester at around 05:00.

As a regular user of Manchester Airport, I always recommend going by train.

There is no train till turned 7am on Sundays and last one before that is about 5hrs journey from saturday

Early on a Sunday morning it probably doesn't matter which route you take, there won't be many cars around so little traffic.

Don't think snow is an issue, there was a little flurry today but nothing that'd stop you driving across to Manchester.

There aren't many choices of route if you want to only go via the motorway. You've already said it: M1 to M62 (then M62 to M60 and M56).

It's a hell of a long way round though to do that. Almost twice the distance that going cross-country would be. I'd suggest you should take the A628 Woodhead or A57 Snake Pass instead. Depending on where you live - you could also take a very pleasant route via Hathersage, Castleton, Chapel en le Frith, Whalley Bridge, Pott Shrigley, Adlington, Handforth, Styal. I do this run regularly and it takes about an hour and 10 minutes. Very little traffic. Could be problematic if its icy though. Especially Winnats Pass! :gag:

The motorway route is double the distance, but usually within 10 minutes of the other route.

At that time of day there won't be any traffic so just sit and cruise at 70

Sorry for opening an old thread, but I'm in need of some help. I'm picking a relative up from Manchester airport and will be travelling at night. Woodhead will be closed as stated online and I really want to avoid going down the snake at night. I've looked on maps on my phone and there is an alternate route, I haven't got a clue what it is, but the top route is woodhead the next one down I'm guessing is snake, and there's one underneath. does anyone know this route and what it's like at night? I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a better way? Thanks

Guest busdriver1
Sorry for opening an old thread, but I'm in need of some help. I'm picking a relative up from Manchester airport and will be travelling at night. Woodhead will be closed as stated online and I really want to avoid going down the snake at night. I've looked on maps on my phone and there is an alternate route, I haven't got a clue what it is, but the top route is woodhead the next one down I'm guessing is snake, and there's one underneath. does anyone know this route and what it's like at night? I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a better way? Thanks

It will be via Buxton and Chapel-en-le-Frith. Not a bad route.

Depending on where you live in the city, another route would be via the M62 then M1 South, quite a long way round but obviously well lit and close to help should you need any. The southern route, via Sparrowpit etc, is another one but probably not recommended at night.