One lucky cyclist.

Yes I do this routinely too...Same applies if I'm waiting to turn left into a main road and someone is actually indicating and seemingly wants to turn into the road I'm emerging from...I wait until they've committed themselves in the turn before I assume that because they're indicating that they actually will.

I'm afraid after this thread I'll just 'have' to assume every cyclist is going to do something completely random and act accordingly.

I assume you're a cyclist? Is there a legitimate reason why (certain) cyclists will ride 3 abreast. It's just that I saw this the other day. Fortunately going in the opposite direction to me. But they had a hell of a tailback and seemed oblivious to it. I'm just wondering what the justification might be!

No thats not the point at all. You're being defensive. You just have to overtake like you would a car - when its safe to do so and don't start overtaking assuming they're going to clear some obstacle by the time you get there.

As for your second point its another completely irrelevant whinge about cyclists. Some do this, I don't condone it, as to why probably because it makes them safer or maybe just because they want to chat to each other.

If you assume that they will wobble, and in your head think of them as using the entire carriage then you'll be pretty safe.

Cyclists shouldn't ride 3 abreast, simple. 2 abreast, absolutely fine.

What Cyclone said, shouldn't have overtook

Don't know what he said :|

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 14:01 ----------

No thats not the point at all. You're being defensive. You just have to overtake like you would a car - when its safe to do so and don't start overtaking assuming they're going to clear some obstacle by the time you get there.

As for your second point its another completely irrelevant whinge about cyclists. Some do this, I don't condone it, as to why probably because it makes them safer or maybe just because they want to chat to each other.

Yes I probably am being a bit defensive, I wouldn't deny that.

Surely a lot driving/riding etc encompasses a certain amount of anticipation and assumptions?...You know we all do it routinely. Whether we admit it or not..It happens!

I asked the question about cyclist riding 3 abreast specifically because while I was looking up the 'rules' for cyclists this morning, I noticed this:

never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

As I had witnessed it the other day, I wondered if there was a good reason. That's all.

Edited by PeteMorris

Done know what he said :|

Listen to cyclone instead of driving dangerously?

He put me on ignore because I won't accept his lame excuses and circular reasoning.

Don't know what he said :|

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 14:01 ----------

Yes I probably am being a bit defensive, I wouldn't deny that.

Surely a lot driving/riding etc encompasses a certain amount of anticipation and assumptions?...You know we all do it routinely. Whether we admit it or not..It happens!

I asked the question about cyclist riding 3 abreast specifically because while I was looking up the 'rules' for cyclists this morning, I noticed this:

As I had witnessed it the other day, I wondered if there was a good reason. That's all.

Perhaps the third cyclist was overtaking.

Perhaps the third cyclist was overtaking.

No...they were happily tootling along three abreast, seemingly enjoying the cycle ride, but making no attempt to make allowance for other road users.

It did cross my mind how inconsiderate it was at the time. But fortunately, I was travelling in the opposite direction. Is it any wonder cyclists in general get a bad name? I know they don't all do that, but even so, riding three abreast is just asking for trouble, especially when there is oncoming traffic.

No...they were happily tootling along three abreast, seemingly enjoying the cycle ride, but making no attempt to make allowance for other road users.

It did cross my mind how inconsiderate it was at the time. But fortunately, I was travelling in the opposite direction. Is it any wonder cyclists in general get a bad name? I know they don't all do that, but even so, riding three abreast is just asking for trouble, especially when there is oncoming traffic.

Their actions were inconsiderate, but at least they weren't putting anyone's life at risk.

Cycling two abreast is sometimes acceptable because if there are a large group of cyclists, it means that there are a shorter line of them. So it's easier for motorists to overtake them safely. For example, a line of ten cyclists become a line of five cyclists.

Do motorists all get a bad name because of a few inconsiderate ones?

No.

Their actions were inconsiderate, but at least they weren't putting anyone's life at risk.

Cycling two abreast is sometimes acceptable because if there are a large group of cyclists, it means that there are a shorter line of them. So it's easier for motorists to overtake them safely. For example, a line of ten cyclists become a line of five cyclists.

I'd have said they were putting their 'own' lives at risk. What if one of them got the dreaded and much talked about 'wobble'? They'd all be in a heap in the middle of the road, with following and oncoming traffic!

I'd have said they were putting their 'own' lives at risk. What if one of them got the dreaded and much talked about 'wobble'? They'd all be in a heap in the middle of the road, with following and oncoming traffic!

That would have already anticipated such a scenario and be approaching at a speed that would allow them to brake or swerve safely.