How often do you venture into town?

Meersbrook, ecclesall & abbeydale for coffee etc. ..eaaaaasy better. Cheaper & friendlier too. You don't have to put up with Dick heads either.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:23 ----------

Why pay for parking

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:24 ----------

Oh yeah I forgot about London Road, which bosses town in terms of restaurants.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:28 ----------

What you need in town is more clusters...then people will make more effort. Your problem is the council's woefully underfunded so rates are high, parking is high & lack of inward investment. Just look at the sevenstones development as an example.

Leeds isn't perfect but they got it spot on with retail and developments like the trinity centre which is multi purpose. I've never seen that place anything less than heaving

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:43 ----------

If I was in the bar trade I'd get in the suburbs now...meersbrook is a fine example, the Broadfield took 4 times projected in the first 3 months of opening in 2011 and it's never been busier. Tramsheds is rammed 6 days a week.

It's community bars, friendly vibe with good food people want. People will pay a premium but they don't want to feel like they are being ripped off so the product & experience got to be spot on.

People do seem to think a lot more about this than I do. I do agree with the suburbs currently being better but mainly because I'm lazy and people keep opening good pubs near me.

I've been for a night out in Leeds a few times and never enjoyed it, even with a local guiding the way.

Do we just need to sign post people to the right spots? We have about 4 main areas which offer different things for different people. West St, Division St, Kelham Island and The Rest.

You missed Eccky Road off . That's a decent evening out.

How often do you go into town?

A) To buy things

B) To the pub/bar/club

C) Theatre/Cinema/Gig etc

It seems that many city centres are much busier than ours in an evening, so just wondered. What would encourage you to venture into town more ofte?

I've said it before and I'll say it again though - another problem with Sheffield is that the public transport around it sucks. I live in Barnsley and literally cannot go to a gig in Sheffield on a weekend night and get home by bus or train. That is pretty much inexcusable in this day and age. And if I want a night around Eccy Rd or Division St etc I have to be heading back to the station shortly after 10pm. That might help explain why it's not a busy night out.

You missed Eccky Road off . That's a decent evening out.

Maybe was 10 years ago. Heeley area better now - Sheaf, Broady, Tramshed, Brothers, Hop Hideout. Not full of chains.

Maybe was 10 years ago. Heeley area better now - Sheaf, Broady, Tramshed, Brothers, Hop Hideout. Not full of chains.

Slightly struggling to equate Eccy Rd with the term 'full of chains'. Sure you have a Spoons and a Greene King Outlet, but then you also have the Beer House, Portland, CowShed, Craft n Dough, Lescar... And the walk from Eccy Rd down to the Broadfield (via the Stag and the Union) is not that much greater than up from the Tramshed.

Lescar is a chain still, isn`t it? Clientele very different on Eccy Road imho.

Oh, and White Lion; great pub now!

Lescar is a chain still, isn`t it? Clientele very different on Eccy Road imho.

Oh, and White Lion; great pub now!

Is it? I didn't know. Always seem to do it's own thing, like the beer festival at Easter. And it's beer range isn't the standard chain fare. Fortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Heeley - but the Brothers and the Sheaf are a bit, well, scroaty. Especially on match days.

Think Lescar is. What`s CowShed? Googled it and a restaurant in Wakefield came up?

Going back to the topic, I think the Division Street area has a lot to offer for a night out from Tap n Tankard all the way to the Bath Hotel.

Edited by jemson

Think Lescar is. What`s CowShed? Googled it and a restaurant in Wakefield came up?

Going back to the topic, I think the Division Street area has a lot to offer for a night out from Tap n Tankard all the way to the Bath Hotel.

Cowshed is the new name for the bar in Graze. I think they are leasing it out. It's had a makeover - much more comfortable - and has DJs and stuff on an evening now (I know - shock horror!) But it stull has the same range of Thornbridge beer and premium lagers.

I often start up at the Bath. Pretty much stopped going in T&T after the beer range dropped right off and it began to smell of wet dog the whole time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again though - another problem with Sheffield is that the public transport around it sucks. I live in Barnsley and literally cannot go to a gig in Sheffield on a weekend night and get home by bus or train. That is pretty much inexcusable in this day and age. And if I want a night around Eccy Rd or Division St etc I have to be heading back to the station shortly after 10pm. That might help explain why it's not a busy night out.

The same can be said to trains from Leeds and Manchester to Sheffield on a Saturday. Wonder if there would be any point in petitioning train companies for later options.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 10:30 ----------

Is it? I didn't know. Always seem to do it's own thing, like the beer festival at Easter. And it's beer range isn't the standard chain fare. Fortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Heeley - but the Brothers and the Sheaf are a bit, well, scroaty. Especially on match days.

I wouldn't suggest either pub is ever "scroaty" on any day.

The brothers is scoaty? Compared to what? Lol

You perhaps missed Eccy Road now has 2 micro pubs and the area around Sharrow Vale has good food and pubs.

Good bands on at Greystones.

I rarely go into town centre. Parking is an issue.