How often do you venture into town?

Completely agree re gigs. Bands often to Manc, Leeds and Nottm but not Sheff!!!! :rant:

A) Occasionally if I go somewhere on the way home from work. Not interested in clothes shopping etc. No need otherwise as I have multiple supermarkets on the tram route home and the internet.

B) Pubs reasonably often. Rutland / Tap / Tap and Tankard / Red Deer / Uni Arms, and Brewdog sometimes with work. Prefer various suburbs for pubs though really. Haven't been clubbing for years.

C) Only go to Cineworld for flicks, as I like the best screen/sound system available.

Don't go on match days then. Every pub around is the same on match days. The pubs are decent, especially the brothers.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 23:47 ----------

Heeley has changed a lot. The brothers used to be called ye old Shakespeare, it's not even the same pub.

I know the Brothers was the Shakespeare. I used to go in when it was the Shakespeare. It was scroaty then too. Being taken over by a band who pretty much base their entire repertoire on the 70s atrocity that was the Grumbleweeds hasn't really changed that. Tho the beer is better. And the beer garden too.

Sadly, living outside Sheffield, Saturdays are pretty much the only days I can go in. And I go in many pubs on Saturdays. They clearly aren't 'all the same'. Not even in a small area. The Broadfield isn't, for example. There is just something about the Brothers and the Sheaf which seems to attract the...err...eclectic clientele (thanks Jemmo!)

Completely agree re gigs. Bands often to Manc, Leeds and Nottm but not Sheff!!!! :rant:
Thats down to bad booking managers within Sheffield. Unless there is someone is Sheffield shouting 'come here!' then no-one will come.

No band goes to Leeds or Notts by choice because neither has any sort of musical heritage whatsoever.

Sheffields best venue now in terms of attracting talent is the Greystones. Granted it punches above its weight but it speaks volumes that they (a pub in the burbs) can get good acts on but somehow the O2/Plug/Leadmill/Octagon can't.

Edited by Jonny5

I know the Brothers was the Shakespeare. I used to go in when it was the Shakespeare. It was scroaty then too. Being taken over by a band who pretty much base their entire repertoire on the 70s atrocity that was the Grumbleweeds hasn't really changed that. Tho the beer is better. And the beer garden too.

Sadly, living outside Sheffield, Saturdays are pretty much the only days I can go in. And I go in many pubs on Saturdays. They clearly aren't 'all the same'. Not even in a small area. The Broadfield isn't, for example. There is just something about the Brothers and the Sheaf which seems to attract the...err...eclectic clientele (thanks Jemmo!)

Thats being so close to heeley.there's 1 or 2 alternative characters knocking about....the pubs are good. With sheaf being marginally more scroaty. But if you had a scrotometer it's still only half way up.

The Shakespeare was completely different like night and day to the brothers...different clientele. If you go in during the week and in summer it's one of the best views in Sheffield. Really nice place and I've been in a dozen times since it changed hands. Friendly enough. More students & your middle classes than anything.

Just avoid pubs on match days. Not worth it.

Is "the pub" all Sheffield has to offer these days. No wonder I don't bother visiting too often when I've much better pubs on my own doorstep.

It is one of the best things anywhere has to offer. Pubs are great. Sheffield doesn't have much that other cities of its size don't have unfortunately.

---------- Post added 03-03-2016 at 19:04 ----------

Thats being so close to heeley.there's 1 or 2 alternative characters knocking about....the pubs are good. With sheaf being marginally more scroaty. But if you had a scrotometer it's still only half way up.

The Shakespeare was completely different like night and day to the brothers...different clientele. If you go in during the week and in summer it's one of the best views in Sheffield. Really nice place and I've been in a dozen times since it changed hands. Friendly enough. More students & your middle classes than anything.

Just avoid pubs on match days. Not worth it.

I am quite a judgemental character (although I try not to be or to voices much) so if you think these two pubs are "scroaty" you've never lived. You must be right well to do, posh sorts.

---------- Post added 03-03-2016 at 19:07 ----------

A = Semi-regularly, usually twice a month, though I do like to browse the shops at-least once a week.

B = Never, I avoid drinking in the city centre at all costs...as for that horrible Corporation night club, I wouldn't be seen dead in there..

C= Never, I don't really like the cinema and the gigs at the place next to the cinema tend to be very Emo-styled bands.

Corporation is great. There are lots of gig venues with other musical styles in offer and the O2 is far from "emo" anyway.

I am quite a judgemental character (although I try not to be or to voices much) so if you think these two pubs are "scroaty" you've never lived. You must be right well to do, posh sorts.

I'm saying it's not scroaty. The other fella said it was scroaty. The Sheaf gets some characters in but nothing majorly scroaty.

Sheaf really does have a mix although often very male-orientated. Mix from lots of OAPs to climbers, lecturers, brewers, social workers and surprise, surprise, football fans on match days. Because it`s a proper beer pub, I`d never describe the clientele as `scroaty` but then that`s not an adjective that I use tbh. Great pub.

O2 = always seems to be tribute bands or mid-sized indie bands from 1996.

Sheaf really does have a mix although often very male-orientated. Mix from lots of OAPs to climbers, lecturers, brewers, social workers and surprise, surprise, football fans on match days. Because it`s a proper beer pub, I`d never describe the clientele as `scroaty` but then that`s not an adjective that I use tbh. Great pub.

O2 = always seems to be tribute bands or mid-sized indie bands from 1996.

What you said, Jemmo...eclectic crowd. No aggro

It is one of the best things anywhere has to offer. Pubs are great. Sheffield doesn't have much that other cities of its size don't have unfortunately.

OK. If that's all you can think of you clearly have very limited interests or imagination. But if it is all Sheffield "town" has to offer it is no wonder many avoid it altogether as a quick look through The Good Beer Guide will show that most of the city's best pubs are nowhere near the centre and many are far more convenient to get to than those that are.

To get me and many others into the centre of Sheffield it would have to offer me something that was better or simply not available elsewhere otherwise why would I bother with the hassle and pay for the privilege of parking.

Tonight we are off for a meal, drinks, dancing and live music out in the sticks. All good and parking right outside the front door.

Edited by foxy lady

How often do you go into town?

A) To buy things

B) To the pub/bar/club

C) Theatre/Cinema/Gig etc

It seems that many city centres are much busier than ours in an evening, so just wondered. What would encourage you to venture into town more ofte?

Hmm...

A - every now and then...

B and C - outside of playing gigs myself? Last time was a month or so ago for a mate's birthday curry (homeless ex-druggies/alcoholics asking you for money from the second you step off the bus and following you down west street/church street whilst talking AT you is VERY offputting...). If Sheffield's night-life had more to offer than drunken chavs, scroungers insulting you when you explain you CAN'T give them anything for the bus and homeless people hanging around near cashpoints outside of the usual pubs and clubs it'd probably be a much more endearing place.

Frog & Parrot is cool, as is the Graduate and West Street Live...quite a lot of west street is chav bars playing chart music loudly though, which is a very sad thing.

Thats down to bad booking managers within Sheffield. Unless there is someone is Sheffield shouting 'come here!' then no-one will come.

No band goes to Leeds or Notts by choice because neither has any sort of musical heritage whatsoever.

Sheffields best venue now in terms of attracting talent is the Greystones. Granted it punches above its weight but it speaks volumes that they (a pub in the burbs) can get good acts on but somehow the O2/Plug/Leadmill/Octagon can't.

Think this depends on what you call "good acts". I manage to get to see most acts I like, in Sheffield, at some point. Admitedlly I have had to venture to Manchester far too much recently but I think that will always be second (after London) in that sense. We don't push ourselves forward for so many things though and getting skipped for the likes of Hull or wherever is not really acceptable.

Trying to put the entire thing on promoters and bookers though might not tell the full picture. Sheffield simply does not sell out gigs that other cities do. I often see sold out signs for the same acts at comparable venues in other cities but not here, this was one of the things that prompted my question in the first place.

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 14:43 ----------

OK. If that's all you can think of you clearly have very limited interests or imagination. But if it is all Sheffield "town" has to offer it is no wonder many avoid it altogether as a quick look through The Good Beer Guide will show that most of the city's best pubs are nowhere near the centre and many are far more convenient to get to than those that are.

To get me and many others into the centre of Sheffield it would have to offer me something that was better or simply not available elsewhere otherwise why would I bother with the hassle and pay for the privilege of parking.

Tonight we are off for a meal, drinks, dancing and live music out in the sticks. All good and parking right outside the front door.

I'd probably suggest I have wider interests than just about anyone I know but that doesn't mean pubs shouldn't be enjoyed. I'm not here to defend the city centre as I believe it can do much more for itself, I was just asking a question.

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 14:45 ----------

Hmm...

A - every now and then...

B and C - outside of playing gigs myself? Last time was a month or so ago for a mate's birthday curry (homeless ex-druggies/alcoholics asking you for money from the second you step off the bus and following you down west street/church street whilst talking AT you is VERY offputting...). If Sheffield's night-life had more to offer than drunken chavs, scroungers insulting you when you explain you CAN'T give them anything for the bus and homeless people hanging around near cashpoints outside of the usual pubs and clubs it'd probably be a much more endearing place.

Frog & Parrot is cool, as is the Graduate and West Street Live...quite a lot of west street is chav bars playing chart music loudly though, which is a very sad thing.

I have never had the problems in B & C and so can't really say that puts me off. I don;t go on west Street though as it doesn't have pubs I enjoy, as you suggest.