How often do you venture into town?

You perhaps missed Eccy Road now has 2 micro pubs and the area around Sharrow Vale has good food and pubs.

Good bands on at Greystones.

I rarely go into town centre. Parking is an issue.

Parking is quite cheap and plentiful and no point in taking the car if you're going to the pub.

Parking is quite cheap and plentiful and no point in taking the car if you're going to the pub.

Is "the pub" all Sheffield has to offer these days. No wonder I don't bother visiting too often when I've much better pubs on my own doorstep.

The brothers is scoaty? Compared to what? Lol

If the question is, does the Sheaf - and to a lesser extent the Brothers - have a larger amount of scroats in them than the pubs on Eccy Rd (given that was the original comparison). The answer is clearly yes - especially on a match day. My bias comes not from outside, but within. That is the area I grew up in as a youth and I worked in Heeley for a number of years as well. I know quite few that go in those pubs. They were scroats then, they are scroats now. Sorry if you disagree, but it's true.

Meersbrook, ecclesall & abbeydale for coffee etc. ..eaaaaasy better. Cheaper & friendlier too. You don't have to put up with Dick heads either.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:23 ----------

Why pay for parking

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:24 ----------

Oh yeah I forgot about London Road, which bosses town in terms of restaurants.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:28 ----------

What you need in town is more clusters...then people will make more effort. Your problem is the council's woefully underfunded so rates are high, parking is high & lack of inward investment. Just look at the sevenstones development as an example.

Leeds isn't perfect but they got it spot on with retail and developments like the trinity centre which is multi purpose. I've never seen that place anything less than heaving

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:43 ----------

If I was in the bar trade I'd get in the suburbs now...meersbrook is a fine example, the Broadfield took 4 times projected in the first 3 months of opening in 2011 and it's never been busier. Tramsheds is rammed 6 days a week.

It's community bars, friendly vibe with good food people want. People will pay a premium but they don't want to feel like they are being ripped off so the product & experience got to be spot on.

That wasn't your original point.

But to answer your new point, the cost of parking in town on an evening is minimal in comparison to what I would spend if eating in town, so I don't care at all about it.

It's a pound an hour on-street in the evening, then free after half past eight, so if it costs me a couple of quid.....so be it. If I park in Q-Park, which I would if I can't find somewhere on street (usually can) then it costs more. But not so much more that it would deter me.

I don't agree with your point that London Road has a better restaurant offering than town. Yes it has more Asian restaurants, but town has some really nice family dining options IMHO...Piccolinos, Bill's. Division St has some nice spots for eating too. TBH if we want Chinese, we go to Noodle Inn.

Edited by Bargepole23

At least three times a week to shop and/or eat and about every couple of weeks for theatre/concerts.

If there wasn't a show on at the theatre or City Hall it would be never.

I visit the Greek on London Road every 6 weeks ish. Thats the nearest i've been to visiting the city centre on a regular basis.

But to be fair i'm probably not in the demographic they want,if it serves food in a pleasant safe environment i'm game, if it involves jostling for bar space or needs a bouncer on the door i'd avoid it at all costs.

That wasn't your original point.

But to answer your new point, the cost of parking in town on an evening is minimal in comparison to what I would spend if eating in town, so I don't care at all about it.

It's a pound an hour on-street in the evening, then free after half past eight, so if it costs me a couple of quid.....so be it. If I park in Q-Park, which I would if I can't find somewhere on street (usually can) then it costs more. But not so much more that it would deter me.

I don't agree with your point that London Road has a better restaurant offering than town. Yes it has more Asian restaurants, but town has some really nice family dining options IMHO...Piccolinos, Bill's. Division St has some nice spots for eating too. TBH if we want Chinese, we go to Noodle Inn.

But isn't the point that "town" needs to entice you in? Yes you can pay to park. Yes you can get a meal. Yes you can get a drink, but you can do all that without having to venture into town, or having to brave public transport.

I'm with willman on this. Just about the only thing that I can't get out in the sticks that I can get in town is theatre. So I'll go there if I want to see anything, but otherwise I'll probably eat, drink, shop eyc elsewhere.

I've no idea whether London Road has better restaurants than town. But I do know there are better restaurants than in town. Maybe not on London Road, but it isn't an eith or option. The world is our oyster.

But isn't the point that "town" needs to entice you in? Yes you can pay to park. Yes you can get a meal. Yes you can get a drink, but you can do all that without having to venture into town, or having to brave public transport.

I'm with willman on this. Just about the only thing that I can't get out in the sticks that I can get in town is theatre. So I'll go there if I want to see anything, but otherwise I'll probably eat, drink, shop eyc elsewhere.

I've no idea whether London Road has better restaurants than town. But I do know there are better restaurants than in town. Maybe not on London Road, but it isn't an eith or option. The world is our oyster.

Firstly, I only live 10 minutes drive from town at Ecclesall, so it's not much of a venture. I have no objection to public transport either, but it's cheaper by car for four people and I don't generally drink so it doesn't restrict my evening.

I wasn't the one who suggested London Road as the alternative to town. I was merely responding to a point by another poster.

I would agree with your earlier comments about Sharrowvale, a nice little area now, some good shops, cafes and restaurants.....Pasta Bar is a favourite.

Edited by Bargepole23

How often do you go into town?

A) To buy things

B) To the pub/bar/club

C) Theatre/Cinema/Gig etc

It seems that many city centres are much busier than ours in an evening, so just wondered. What would encourage you to venture into town more ofte?

A = Semi-regularly, usually twice a month, though I do like to browse the shops at-least once a week.

B = Never, I avoid drinking in the city centre at all costs...as for that horrible Corporation night club, I wouldn't be seen dead in there..

C= Never, I don't really like the cinema and the gigs at the place next to the cinema tend to be very Emo-styled bands.

If the question is, does the Sheaf - and to a lesser extent the Brothers - have a larger amount of scroats in them than the pubs on Eccy Rd (given that was the original comparison). The answer is clearly yes - especially on a match day. My bias comes not from outside, but within. That is the area I grew up in as a youth and I worked in Heeley for a number of years as well. I know quite few that go in those pubs. They were scroats then, they are scroats now. Sorry if you disagree, but it's true.

Don't go on match days then. Every pub around is the same on match days. The pubs are decent, especially the brothers.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 23:47 ----------

Heeley has changed a lot. The brothers used to be called ye old Shakespeare, it's not even the same pub.

Don't go on match days then. Every pub around is the same on match days. The pubs are decent, especially the brothers.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 23:47 ----------

Heeley has changed a lot. The brothers used to be called ye old Shakespeare, it's not even the same pub.

Very true. And pubs near to football grounds tend to have football fans in them an hour or two before and after matches. Sheaf is always referred to as having an `eclectic` clientele.

How often do you go into town?

A) To buy things

B) To the pub/bar/club

C) Theatre/Cinema/Gig etc

It seems that many city centres are much busier than ours in an evening, so just wondered. What would encourage you to venture into town more ofte?

A - almost never. In fact, apart from Beer Central and Crawshaws, I do almost all my shopping at this wonderful place called 'the internet'

B - occasionally. Only really the Devonshire Cat I look at regularly, with infrequent visits to Brewdog and Bath Hotel

C - very rarely. Corp seems to have 2 or 3 gigs a year of interest. Leadmill (if you even call that 'town') hasn't had a decent band for years. In fact I quite often see bands' tour dates and wonder why Sheffield gets missed out when they manage to include backwaters like Norwich and Plymouth...