How often do you venture into town?

How often do you go into town?

A) To buy things

B) To the pub/bar/club

C) Theatre/Cinema/Gig etc

It seems that many city centres are much busier than ours in an evening, so just wondered. What would encourage you to venture into town more ofte?

Not as often as I`d like to.

Personally, cheaper car parking and / or cheaper bus fares would encourage me. We used to go in on Sundays because car parking was free.

I work in town so am here most weekdays! But if you mean socially then I come in roughly every other weekend as, let's face it, Barnsley can only support one night out a week! The other weekend I tend to do Leeds or Huddersfield. Leeds is actually TOO busy at the weekend tho.

Non of those. Town doesn't offer anything you can't get elsewhere & there's nowhere to park. The suburbs is where the party is happening.

I work in town so am here most weekdays! But if you mean socially then I come in roughly every other weekend as, let's face it, Barnsley can only support one night out a week! The other weekend I tend to do Leeds or Huddersfield. Leeds is actually TOO busy at the weekend tho.

What does Leeds do to get "too busy" that Sheffield doesn't? Any idea? I've never had a night out in Huddersfield as the train times aren't great, maybe one day.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 12:34 ----------

Non of those. Town doesn't offer anything you can't get elsewhere & there's nowhere to park. The suburbs is where the party is happening.

What are the best suburbs for "the party" in your view?

I usually go to town once or twice a week - go to the Moor Market for some Ribs :cool: burgers & steak :D

What does Leeds do to get "too busy" that Sheffield doesn't? Any idea? I've never had a night out in Huddersfield as the train times aren't great, maybe one day.

I think that is simple. Leeds is a far more compact town centre with a massive pedestrian precinct which starts directly outside the train station. So people from all the towns around descend on it for a night out. Sheffield's geography and poor planning mean this is not the case. If you are from out of town and you get off a train or a bus at the interchange you are faced with practically nothing. You need to know where to go in advance. And sadly many don't.

I think that is simple. Leeds is a far more compact town centre with a massive pedestrian precinct which starts directly outside the train station. So people from all the towns around descend on it for a night out. Sheffield's geography and poor planning mean this is not the case. If you are from out of town and you get off a train or a bus at the interchange you are faced with practically nothing. You need to know where to go in advance. And sadly many don't.

I've been for a night out in Leeds a few times and never enjoyed it, even with a local guiding the way.

Do we just need to sign post people to the right spots? We have about 4 main areas which offer different things for different people. West St, Division St, Kelham Island and The Rest.

Plainly untrue.

I've been for a night out in Leeds a few times and never enjoyed it, even with a local guiding the way.

Do we just need to sign post people to the right spots? We have about 4 main areas which offer different things for different people. West St, Division St, Kelham Island and The Rest.

I think you need clear transport links to them really. I know you can get a tram to West Street but honestly, even though I work in Sheffield and go out to Kelham Island pretty regularly, I wouldn't know the best way to get there from the station by public transport. And many can't / won't / don't see the point of walking it. Same with Eccy Rd, London Rd, etc.

Meersbrook, ecclesall & abbeydale for coffee etc. ..eaaaaasy better. Cheaper & friendlier too. You don't have to put up with Dick heads either.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:23 ----------

Plainly untrue.

Why pay for parking

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:24 ----------

Oh yeah I forgot about London Road, which bosses town in terms of restaurants.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:28 ----------

How often do you go into town?

A) To buy things

B) To the pub/bar/club

C) Theatre/Cinema/Gig etc

It seems that many city centres are much busier than ours in an evening, so just wondered. What would encourage you to venture into town more ofte?

What you need in town is more clusters...then people will make more effort. Your problem is the council's woefully underfunded so rates are high, parking is high & lack of inward investment. Just look at the sevenstones development as an example.

Leeds isn't perfect but they got it spot on with retail and developments like the trinity centre which is multi purpose. I've never seen that place anything less than heaving

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 13:43 ----------

If I was in the bar trade I'd get in the suburbs now...meersbrook is a fine example, the Broadfield took 4 times projected in the first 3 months of opening in 2011 and it's never been busier. Tramsheds is rammed 6 days a week.

It's community bars, friendly vibe with good food people want. People will pay a premium but they don't want to feel like they are being ripped off so the product & experience got to be spot on.