University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Which is his viewpoint.  He was not commenting on what the bible says, he believes it.  It is directly likely to impact his ability to treat some patients.

Just fact checking you here as well

Is this true?  Abrahamic religions, for sure.  But Hinduism does not.  That's a billion people, 15% of the world's population.

Buddhism doesn't.  About 500 million, 7.5% of the world's population.

Sikhism doesn't.  But that's only 25 million people.

Actually, it appears to be ONLY abrahamic religions that condemn it.  And in fact in their more modern interpretations many have abandoned that position in their teachings and official line.

Sin only exists within a religious narrative.  That's what you keep forgetting.  From context it is quite obvious he was speaking from an Abrahamic narrative.  He believes it because the bible says it.  He believes the bible to be a work of non-fiction. 

With regards to the semantic discussion about the definition of "major religion", it isnt important to the point at hand so I am happy to concede.

I didn't forget anything, but apparently you did.

sin1
/sɪn/
noun
noun: sin; plural noun: sins
  1. 1.
    an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
    "a sin in the eyes of God"
    synonyms: immoral act, wrong, wrongdoing, act of evil/wickedness, transgression, crime, offence, misdeed, misdemeanour, error, lapse, fall from grace; More

antonyms: virtue, good
    • an act regarded as a serious or regrettable fault, offence, or omission.
      "he committed the unforgivable sin of refusing to give interviews"
      synonyms: scandal, crime, disgrace, outrage
      "the way they spend money—it's a sin"

•  

I guess the argument is much easier if you ignore the bits that you don't find convenient.

But you are correct, he believes in what is written in the bible, he believes that homosexuality is a sin, he is unable to meet the criteria for that course or that profession and so he was asked to leave the course.

Edited by Cyclone

On 04/07/2019 at 16:57, JamesR123 said:

Sin is transgression against divine law.  Homosexuality is a sin according to the major world religions. However I see sin as about as important as talking about fight club.  Sin does not have a secular/non-theistic meaning.

The bible does not get to define truth.  However it does get to define sin, just as fight club the movie gets to define what the rules of fight club is and Game of Thrones gets to define what the rules of the Nights Watch are.

I didn't know about the fitness to practice being a requirement of the University rather than the prospective employer.  If this is true then the University made the correct decision.

However I am not comfortable with this responsibility being given to the universities.

Is a University having this responsibility any different from that same University awarding (or not awarding) degrees based on the student’s academic performance?

Surely it’s all part of ensuring the student achieves the required standard for whatever profession they intend to follow. That is very much part of the University’s duty.