University course and anti-gay Facebook post.

3 minutes ago, woodview said:

Ok, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I understand the proffesional aspect to a degree, I wouldn't consider disagreeing with same sex marriage as unprofessional to that extent though.

I think allowing people freedom of expression to be most important. That applies to expressing sexuality or expressing outdated views too. Repression isn't good in any form.

I would agreed with you however, tzijlstra explanation is quite compelling

He may disapprove of gay marriage and be all Christian and stuff, believing the crap in the Bible...

But, what if he was actually able to put that aside for his job and help people whose lifestyle he disagreed with?

I get paid to help people from all backgrounds, whether i believe in their life choices/religion/political leanings etc. or not.

I personally disagree with the geezer's beliefs, as i'm atheist and everything, but it doesn't mean that, whilst on the clock, i don't think he wouldn't help those he has chosen to help.

40 minutes ago, phil752 said:

I would agreed with you however, tzijlstra explanation is quite compelling

Yes, the full story does say he was thrown off because of the professional aspect. But in actual fact, how many social workers are involved in same sex marriage or gay relationship cases? Is it so relevant? I worry the wrong people are being stoned for piping up 

8 hours ago, woodview said:

Yes, the full story does say he was thrown off because of the professional aspect. But in actual fact, how many social workers are involved in same sex marriage or gay relationship cases? Is it so relevant? I worry the wrong people are being stoned for piping up 

Throughout a career, probably most of them at some point.

9 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

He may disapprove of gay marriage and be all Christian and stuff, believing the crap in the Bible...

But, what if he was actually able to put that aside for his job and help people whose lifestyle he disagreed with?

I get paid to help people from all backgrounds, whether i believe in their life choices/religion/political leanings etc. or not.

I personally disagree with the geezer's beliefs, as i'm atheist and everything, but it doesn't mean that, whilst on the clock, i don't think he wouldn't help those he has chosen to help.

He didn't simply "disapprove" of it did he.

So the guy is being booted out of university for writing a anti gay Facebook post.

I watch House Hunters International nearly every single day.

Around one in three or one in four of their couples are gay.

Blatant anti heterosexual programming when you consider the percentage of gays in the community. 

Where is the outrage or calls for the channels to lose their licence for broadcasting such anti heterosexual material?

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Throughout a career, probably most of them at some point.

How so? A social worker working with kids will be with predominantly heterosexual parents, and often sole parents. Why do you think most social workers would be working with gay marriage cases?

11 minutes ago, woodview said:

How so? A social worker working with kids will be with predominantly heterosexual parents, and often sole parents. Why do you think most social workers would be working with gay marriage cases?

Won't they also working with vulnerable young adults who could be gay as well?

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

Won't they also working with vulnerable young adults who could be gay as well?

Yes most likely. Earlier, I did comment he would be most likely be unsuitable for lots of social care roles, and prospective employers would make that call. Its the being thrown out of uni bit that most concerns me.

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

Yes most likely. Earlier, I did comment he would be most likely be unsuitable for lots of social care roles, and prospective employers would make that call. Its the being thrown out of uni bit that most concerns me.

You could read it that he's been thrown off a course. I wonder if he applied to study something like art history had get in.

"The former student has previously told the university that, regardless of his beliefs, he does not discriminate against gay people. His appeal argues that victims are protected in law and so limits on freedom of expression cannot be justified on the grounds of a hypothetical risk."

Hypothetical risk.......pre crime division Shieffield University.

Is Shieffield University privately owned or Govt owned?

7 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

You could read it that he's been thrown off a course. I wonder if he applied to study something like art history had get in.

The story is unclear. It says he was thrown of the course, but also says he had to hand in his student card .

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, MAC33 said:

So the guy is being booted out of university for writing a anti gay Facebook post.

I watch House Hunters International nearly every single day.

Around one in three or one in four of their couples are gay.

Blatant anti heterosexual programming when you consider the percentage of gays in the community. 

Where is the outrage or calls for the channels to lose their licence for broadcasting such anti heterosexual material?

What is anti heterosexual about it?