Should Blair be tried?

Should Blair be put on trial?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should Blair be put on trial?

• Yes
    • No

So to balance out the polls, should Tony Blair be taken to the International Criminal Court for breaking international law? Indeed, should he be tried for war crimes?

An international group of academics think so and have been preparing a case.

ooo err. Difficult one. I have found myself increasing caught between a rock and a hard place on this.

I agreed with Blair's decision to sort out saddam (albeit not for the reasons he gave) but I it makes my flesh crawl on the whole Euro debate.

So perhaps I could be as sneaky as other politicians and use the upset over the war to make sure he don't take us to the Euro??

Erm..ah.. I dunno.

Moon

I don't even see the point of a debate other than pure show and ceremony, cos it's almost a given we WILL end up with the Euro at SOME point in the near or distant future, we have to to keep up with other European countries who've already got it, and for the sake of employment in the import/export industries and beyond, because countries won't export to us cos it costs too much to change the prices into pounds etc, and it's expensive for us to export to them because of the cost of changing our prices into Euros.

You know I'm talking sense, that's why I'll never be a Politican, I don't talk out of my arse or make false promises I have absolutely no intention of keeping (like student top up fees, when Labour got in, they said they WOULDN'T introduce them, couple of years later, what do they go and do? Introduce top up fees! Lying backstabbing morons)

It strikes me that the two sides on the Iraq invasion aren't arguing the same point.

The pro-invasion side say it was a good thing to remove the Taliban and Hussein.

The anti-invasion side say that the invasions were illegal.

I agree with both. It's a good thing that the tyrants are removed, but the way it was done - ignoring international law, lies and deception - sucked. It seems clear that the invasions were just for economic and political gain and to further "The Project for a New American Century". I think the middle east problem is one for the world to tackle as a whole through the United Nations. Taking the UN route would reduce arab's feelings of outrage and therefore reduce terrorist sympathisers and recruitment.

To show that we respect international law (and not just when it suits us), if the international law says that Blairs actions were illegal then he should answer to the International Criminal Court for his actions.

Should Bush answer to the ICC? Well America is pretty much the only country that doesnt recognise the ICC (which was newly formed last year). In fact America reserves the right to use force to recuse any of their agents who are arrested and taken there. No wonder the rest of the world have such bad feelings towards america.

The Euro? Umm not really on-topic. I reckon Single Currency and therefore 1-to-1 exchange rate Good. Control of interest rates by central bank Bad.

Originally posted by Rich

I don't even see the point of a debate other than pure show and ceremony, cos it's almost a given we WILL end up with the Euro at SOME point in the near or distant future, we have to to keep up with other European countries who've already got it, and for the sake of employment in the import/export industries and beyond, because countries won't export to us cos it costs too much to change the prices into pounds etc, and it's expensive for us to export to them because of the cost of changing our prices into Euros.

How is it that Blair and Brown stand at that dispatch box and tell the world how well our ecconomy is doing, how well the services are doing, how the unemployment rate the best in Europe. That we can finance the 'protection' of countries all over the world. That apart (I believe from Germany) we are the largest monetary contributor to the E.U. Are they lying? How can we better what they profess we are doing at the moment? We are not 'In' but we ain't doing bad are we? All we have to worry about is WORDS, we know how to do that I believe.

How do you think Switzerland are coping?

Originally posted by Lickszz

How do you think Switzerland are coping?

With all that Nazi gold and other ill-appropriated monies in their secretive banks, they can do what they like.

I like the Swiss though. Their main export is peace. Hans Blix was swiss I think.

He's Swedish...

Damn, I always get those two confused. Mebbe it's the swedes that export all that lovely peace.

(One of the two are really anti-conflict, to the extent of avoiding argument in everyday life. They mediate in conflict zones. And they go on holiday to Italy so they can watch other people having a good argument :) )

So what are you called if you're from Switzerland? Other than a thieving gypse that is:P

Originally posted by garrence

They mediate in conflict zones. And they go on holiday to Italy so they can watch other people having a good argument :) )

Isn't that the Norwegians?

Little known fact here.

The 'peace loving Swedes' are one of the biggest arms producers in the world.

BOFORS to name but one, and they were supplying guns to ALL sides in WW2.:loopy:

Nice friendly country, or what.

Originally posted by Mike

Isn't that the Norwegians?

I've been googlin'

They both seem to quite like peace. Sweden has done some mediation but is also an arms exporter. Norwary mediated with the Tamil Tigers and in Israel last year. I reckon the Norweigans win it!

Edit: Markham you beat me to it. I didn't know the Swedes were such sneaky gits.. sitting there all quiet while flogging guns around the world. At least the Brits have the common decency to flog them, be hypocritical about it, then invade the country to get them back again!