PC gone mad. 2 Labour MPs complain about Washington Redskins name.

The USA still seems to be very backward in some respects regarding race.

what a pile of codswallop. There is a black president for heaven's sake. There was a black Supreme Court Justice 50 years ago. Let me know when there has ever been anything like that in Europe.

or, for that matter, in even places like Brazil or Cuba, both of which have large black populations of a comparable proportion to the USA, but in which, unlike the USA, nobody black has ever got anywhere in politics.

Of course its not ridiculous as the simple choice is either to be for racism and racist slurs or against them. Just because it is historic does not mean its still OK to use offensive terms. If you go back to the 60-70's we had the popular Black and White Minstrel Show but now its considered racist to "black up." It may have been OK then but its not now.

The USA still seems to be very backward in some respects regarding race.

Not forgetting some posters on here. I'm sure they would love the return of 'The Black and White Minstrels'.

This is a link I've actually already posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.espn.co.uk/american-fb/story/_/id/12690535/conservative-party-announces-ambitions-united-kingdom-based-nfl-nba-mlb-franchise-part-manifesto-ahead-uk-general-election

I do not agree with this policy. For starters, the government should be promoting our own British Basketball League (where the Sheffield Sharks play) over imported NBA basketball.

For another thing, I think it would be more in Britiain's interests if we were to export sports such as Rugby League to America rather than importing inferior American sports.

Sports don't get much more inferior than rugby league.

Sports teams should be able to be called whatever they want, I hate political correctness. My five a side team is called the sheffield rubber lips and our badge is a picture of a black man. Some idiots at goals have accused me of being racist!

Sports don't get much more inferior than rugby league.

Sports teams should be able to be called whatever they want, I hate political correctness. My five a side team is called the sheffield rubber lips and our badge is a picture of a black man. Some idiots at goals have accused me of being racist!

Perhaps because you are? #justsaying

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 09:50 ----------

To contribute more than just a snide dig at someone. I agree with stoatwobbler's summary that the name is racist not because of usage of the word Redskin's but because the founder of that team intended it to be racist in the first place and it has been a racist name since that point. Nothing new there. However, quite clearly the MPs are using this as a way to get their names known and little more. I suppose it has added a bit more to the fire to get the name changed.

If someone created a team called the Black Eagles with no intended reference to black people then clearly there are no issues there. If the same name was intended to insult black people in some way then it clearly is racist. I'm struggle to understand how people can't get that.

Runningman1, I wasn't being serious, but it's a, erm, brave? name and logo that's for sure...I can see why plenty of people would look at it quizzically.

Perhaps because you are? #justsaying

---------- Post added 07-03-2016 at 09:50 ----------

To contribute more than just a snide dig at someone. I agree with stoatwobbler's summary that the name is racist not because of usage of the word Redskin's but because the founder of that team intended it to be racist in the first place and it has been a racist name since that point. Nothing new there. However, quite clearly the MPs are using this as a way to get their names known and little more. I suppose it has added a bit more to the fire to get the name changed.

If someone created a team called the Black Eagles with no intended reference to black people then clearly there are no issues there. If the same name was intended to insult black people in some way then it clearly is racist. I'm struggle to understand how people can't get that.

That's more apelike's argument than mine to be honest. My argument is that the MP's in question would be better off opposing the Tory policy of importing the NFL to Britain.

That's more apelike's argument than mine to be honest. My argument is that the MP's in question would be better off opposing the Tory policy of importing the NFL to Britain.

Oh my apologies. I must have got the posters mixed up. :help:

what is this. It is not a 'Tory policy' to 'import' the sport into the UK. What kind of a totally ridiculous notion, is that.

maybe it, the sport, is making another attempt to popularize itself here. The last time, was in the 1980s when it became quite trendy. Channel 4 televised it every week and the sport attracted some support.

why shouldn't the sport want to showcase itself here. The UK is one of the largest countries in Europe. And there is 200,000 American-born people in the UK, most of whom are in London. Why shouldn't they get an opportunity for a day out.

when Liverpool or Mancehester United play a friendly game of soccer in the USA, would you also consider it to be a Democratic or Republican policy to promote soccer there? Do you see what a totally ridiculous notion it is?

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 08:55 ----------

I hate to upset you but Chistopher Columbus never set foot on North America.

http://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explore/christopher-columbus-0

that depends what you call North America - it is after all a single continent, not two or three. Columbus never went over the Equator in America and stayed in the northern hemisphere the whole time.

what is this. It is not a 'Tory policy' to 'import' the sport into the UK. What kind of a totally ridiculous notion, is that.

maybe it, the sport, is making another attempt to popularize itself here. The last time, was in the 1980s when it became quite trendy. Channel 4 televised it every week and the sport attracted some support.

why shouldn't the sport want to showcase itself here. The UK is one of the largest countries in Europe. And there is 200,000 American-born people in the UK, most of whom are in London. Why shouldn't they get an opportunity for a day out.

when Liverpool or Mancehester United play a friendly game of soccer in the USA, would you also consider it to be a Democratic or Republican policy to promote soccer there? Do you see what a totally ridiculous notion it is?

This is the third time I've had to post this link on this thread. Do keep up.

If the Democrats or Republicans were to make importing English Premier League football to the USA their policy that would indeed be just as ridiculous as the Tories policy of promoting the NFL, and seeking to uproot an NFL franchise from the USA to play games in London.

http://www.espn.co.uk/american-fb/story/_/id/12690535/conservative-party-announces-ambitions-united-kingdom-based-nfl-nba-mlb-franchise-part-manifesto-ahead-uk-general-election

Britain's Conservative Party has announced its ambition to bring new NFL, NBA and MLB franchises to the United Kingdom.

The political party pledged in its manifesto, which was launched on Tuesday ahead of next month's general election, to work to attract top-level American football, basketball and baseball to Britain on a long-term basis.

Prime Minister David Cameron leads the Conservatives and the party's manifesto says: "We will support new sports in the UK, in particular through greater links with the U.S. National Football League, the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball, with the ultimate ambition of new franchises being based here."

Both the NFL and NBA have held regular-season games in London for several years. In October last year, the British government publicly pledged its desire to have an NFL side permanently based in the capital.

Edited by Stoatwobbler