PC gone mad. 2 Labour MPs complain about Washington Redskins name.

[/color]

Interesting as there are also 2 other people who post on SF that do the same.

Not what I call interesting. I am seriously thinking about increasing the font size to help.

Who are the other two people? We could start up a support group.

Yes but that is acceptable to them as its not being racist. Its not racist for a black person to call other black people the "N" word but it is if a white person calls a black person that.

What about if a black person calls a black person the "N" word and a non black person nods his head?

Just imagine the fake outrage if the Cleveland Browns, or The Fighting Irish were coming too.

Any outrage for the Cleveland Browns is due solely to how rubbish they are. (Incidentally, they are named after their original head coach, so no racial overtones there)

---------- Post added 27-02-2016 at 19:34 ----------

It is ridiculous. There are teams called the Braves, Warriors, Redmen, Eskimos and many other that the PC fans will manage to find offensive. It could be that actually it is commemorating something from history, although I'm sure some would manage to be offended by a team called the White Eyes.

Perhaps we should just expunge all reference to our history from the record books like IS is trying to do in Syria, and we can all pretend that the first person ever to set foot in North America was Christopher Columbus.

Like I said, at some point sooner or later the Washington Redskins will have no option but to change their name. The change will happen whether you like it or not.

Doesn't mean that this isn't bandwagon jumping though, and missed opportunity for Labour to go after a bad Tory policy of promoting American sports.

Not what I call interesting. I am seriously thinking about increasing the font size to help.

Who are the other two people? We could start up a support group.

I don't think you need to worry as you seem to have already changed/adapted the way you do it.

BTW The other 2 people were Teeny and Kensmith. :suspect:

I don't think you need to worry as you seem to have already changed/adapted the way you do it.

BTW The other 2 people were Teeny and Kensmith. :suspect:

I have increased the font size. :thumbsup:

Ruth Smeeth should spend more time on her website.

At the top of the page:

I'm proud to be the MP for Stoke-on-Trent North & Kidsgrove. I was first elected in May 2015.

A few lines down:

I live in Tunstall with my husband Michael and in April 2014, I was privileged to have been chosen by local Labour Party members, across Stoke-on-Trent North & Kidsgrove, as their, and your, next Labour candidate following the retirement of Joan Walley MP. Joan is leaving huge shoes to fill but I hope to honour her legacy, and earn your trust if I’m lucky enough to be elected as the next MP for Stoke-on-Trent North in May 2015.

I wondered who the hell Ruth Smeeth is so looked her up.She has an interesting background.She is not what she claims to be it appears.I am always suspicious of mp,s so always question their motives.Hope not Hate might not be the left that i thought it was but actually the middle class.I would be dubious of any of her opinions and her motivations

http://www.potteye.co.uk/around-the-web-ruth-smeeth-and-israeli-lobby-links-come-under-the-spotlight-across-the-web/.

Any outrage for the Cleveland Browns is due solely to how rubbish they are. (Incidentally, they are named after their original head coach, so no racial overtones there)

---------- Post added 27-02-2016 at 19:34 ----------

Like I said, at some point sooner or later the Washington Redskins will have no option but to change their name. The change will happen whether you like it or not.

Doesn't mean that this isn't bandwagon jumping though, and missed opportunity for Labour to go after a bad Tory policy of promoting American sports.

How are tories promoting American sports?

How are tories promoting American sports?

This is a link I've actually already posted earlier in the thread.

http://www.espn.co.uk/american-fb/story/_/id/12690535/conservative-party-announces-ambitions-united-kingdom-based-nfl-nba-mlb-franchise-part-manifesto-ahead-uk-general-election

Britain's Conservative Party has announced its ambition to bring new NFL, NBA and MLB franchises to the United Kingdom.

The political party pledged in its manifesto, which was launched on Tuesday ahead of next month's general election, to work to attract top-level American football, basketball and baseball to Britain on a long-term basis.

Prime Minister David Cameron leads the Conservatives and the party's manifesto says: "We will support new sports in the UK, in particular through greater links with the U.S. National Football League, the National Basketball Association and Major League Baseball, with the ultimate ambition of new franchises being based here."

I do not agree with this policy. For starters, the government should be promoting our own British Basketball League (where the Sheffield Sharks play) over imported NBA basketball.

For another thing, I think it would be more in Britiain's interests if we were to export sports such as Rugby League to America rather than importing inferior American sports.

I guess all the UK's other social problems vanished while I wasn't looking? (Hey, I've been busy lately.)

Either that or MPs have way too little to occupy themselves.

Of course its not ridiculous as the simple choice is either to be for racism and racist slurs or against them. Just because it is historic does not mean its still OK to use offensive terms. If you go back to the 60-70's we had the popular Black and White Minstrel Show but now its considered racist to "black up." It may have been OK then but its not now.

The USA still seems to be very backward in some respects regarding race.

Americans are much more sensitive about 'blackface' than we are. For us it's a bit of ridiculousness from the Seventies with the Black and White Minstrel Show, which in fact copied American music hall minstrel shows. For the USA race relations have always been a lot more fraught, not surprising really given their history of slavery and lynchings.

I remember posting a photo of the 'League of Gentlemen' character Papa Lazarou on another Forum which Americans used. Some were actually shocked that such a character in full blackface could appear on a mainstream TV show! In fact the Papa Lazarou character plays on a lot of racial stereotypes, mainly Gypsys, to create the comic character, but in a way that was allowed on UK TV, but just would not have been possible in the States.