Help! the dog won't shut up

I'm at an absolute loss of what to do next!

I have three dogs, two i've had from being puppies and are well trained, quiet dogs (the JRT sometimes has something to say but can be easily quietened with a biscuit) but my third dog, which i have only had about 2mnths and is 2 yrs old will not shut up!

She barks at everything. Me - the other two dogs - the washing machine - the tv - out walking - out in the garden - the postman - the window cleaner - the list goes on..

The trouble is she wont shut up when she's told to! i just dont know how to make her stop barking... If someone knocks on the door then yes i expect my other dogs to bark but as soon as i say shhhh they shut up.. but the other one!!!! even once that person has left she's still there barking away for a further 5 minutes!!

I feel so sorry for my neighbours, not only have they got to listern to her barking they've also got me wailing like a banshee at the dog!!

I need advice, i just done know how to handle her :confused:

Have you tried a water spray? Spray it at her when she barks. Works with mine.... Now all I have to do is get the bottle out & they stop lol!

Or an empty bottle with some stones in, not to throw at her but shake when she starts.

Edited by spotty dog

Have you tried a water spray? Spray it at her when she barks. Works with mine.... Now all I have to do is get the bottle out & they stop lol!

Or an empty bottle with some stones in, not to throw at her but shake when she starts.

:hihi::hihi: That did make me chuckle.. I'll try to remember not to throw objects at my dog :D

I'll give it a go and see if it works, if not i'll be back!!! :)

I second the water spray....it is the only thing I have used with mine and one of them was noisy and wilful when I got her.

One of my friends took on a rescue Malinois who wasn't short on confidence but was a serious barker (and they're as noisy as GSDs normally) and she became a really good aim with a water bottle with a sports cap on it and got a jet of water in his mouth every time he barked. It took her literally a couple of days to shut him up and he's been fine and barking only in appropriate circumstances since. This wasn't a little spray of water, it was enough to make him stop to swallow.

The important thing to think about here is that all of these techniques are aversive in the way that they work, and if the dog is at all nervous then they all have the potential to do serious damage to the dog's mind and emotions. All aversive techniques should be used only in short bursts to reduce the damage to the dog, and never used with a dog who is barking through fear or anxiety, as they don't address the fear or anxiety and can make the dog become even more fearful or anxious about barking.

Have you tried to work out what it is that is causing the barking? Could it be anxiety related?

About the Malinois

'The Belgian Malinois may instinctively display herding behavior such as chasing and circling, moving effortlessly for hours and nipping at people's heels. They must be taught not to do this to people. This is a very demanding dog. It needs an experienced owner for it can easily be difficult to control unless the owner knows how to handle him. The way the owner handles the dog can produce wide differences in temperament and aggressiveness. Talk to someone experienced with the breed before you buy your dog. These dogs are often impressive; don't base your purchase solely on achievement records and appearances. Only adopt this type of dog if you fully understand what it means to be alpha.'

Edited by GrahamY

About the Malinois

'The Belgian Malinois may instinctively display herding behavior such as chasing and circling, moving effortlessly for hours and nipping at people's heels. They must be taught not to do this to people. This is a very demanding dog. It needs an experienced owner for it can easily be difficult to control unless the owner knows how to handle him. The way the owner handles the dog can produce wide differences in temperament and aggressiveness. Talk to someone experienced with the breed before you buy your dog. These dogs are often impressive; don't base your purchase solely on achievement records and appearances. Only adopt this type of dog if you fully understand what it means to be alpha.'

Yes, my friend had 5 other dogs, all GSDs or Malis, all of whom were provided with a great environment, training classes and plenty of stimulation and exercise so she was quite able to discriminate between 'normal' barking and 'problem' barking in a dog that had got into the habit of barking when with previous owners.

We have no knowledge of the breed of dog to which the OP is referring.

When I looked online about this a few years ago, I found a lot of people actually train the dog to bark on command instead. So it's more of a positive thing instead.

Yes, that can work. What you do is to teach them to speak, and as you do that you also teach them the command to stop speaking, which you can then use at other times.

It all depends on how clever your dog is at picking up commands though. I've known dogs that just didn't get these commands, no matter how many times it was repeated.

OP - is this the Cairn Terrier that you posted about a few weeks ago? If so, she is having a lot to cope with and there could be a number of factors, including anxiety.

Terriers are easily aroused, very territorial and are known to be barkers.

Diet - hopefully it doesn't contain additives/nasties.

Exercise - does she get enough? This is an intelligent breed that needs stimulation.

IIRC she was the only dog of an elderly person and not in very good condition. She is now having to cope with a new home and sharing her space. Bear in mind that she has probably been under stimulated for some time so some of this could be sheer exuberance and the fact that she is feeling better in herself.

Squirting water at a dog is really not on. You need to find out exactly what the problem is. Seek the advice of a professional behaviourist.

Edited by ccit

We bought a big water pistol from ebay to try to stop our noisy boy and it works.

Sounds like your dog is not happy. why have an unhappy dog. maybe it wants more space, maybe it does not want to live with 2 other dogs. whatever it is the dog would be better off elsewhere.

Yeah, that's right. Instead of training the dog and helping it to become happy and well adjusted, just get rid of it. Job done!

This is the reason why so many dogs are ending up in pounds and rescues. Because people just get rid instead of solving the problems and working with the dog. The OP clearly wants to keep the dog and do right by it. Ridiculous comments like yours don't help!