How to sell a house quickly?

Photos are very poor, there aren't enough of them for a start, and in the rear garden is that rubbish in the bottom right hand corner?

3 internal photos 2 of which appear to be of the same empty room?

Where are the kitchen and the bedrooms?

I'd try to get some cheap furniture in and have the photos retaken. People struggle with empty rooms for some reason when viewing.

I struggled to sell a 3 bed terrace in Lower Walkley a while ago. It finally sold not long after I had a decorator come in and repaint all the walls and woodwork, I bought some cheap art from Wilko's for the picture hooks, borrowed some spare furniture where I could and positioned things in rooms.

Look at what it's competing with

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34798545.html

That's 85k and reduced by 20k recently... It has 3 bedrooms, a recently fitted kitchen, nice looking rooms and no brown carpet.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-51205769.html?premiumA=true

This is 75k, and well decorated inside with a new bathroom, decent kitchen and plenty of outdoor space.

Edited by Cyclone

I posted the link as I've been getting PMs about it.

The house was empty when the agent took photos and since then tenants have moved in to house sit it while it is for sale.

What's wrong with a brown carpet? It's a neutral colour and good quality. It's also less than 12 months old.

The house I am selling is a corner plot so plenty of space and a garage and a driveway.

I posted the link as I've been getting PMs about it.

The house was empty when the agent took photos and since then tenants have moved in to house sit it while it is for sale.

What's wrong with a brown carpet? It's a neutral colour and good quality. It's also less than 12 months old.

The house I am selling is a corner plot so plenty of space and a garage and a driveway.

None of the photos show any of that. There are none showing the driveway, none showing the garage, none showing the kitchen. If you are going to ask for advice then at least listen to what people are saying. The carpet isn't my ideal colour as it's a little dark, but there's no point spending money on a new one at this point.

Why not just ask the tenants if you can pop in and take some photos and arrange a time with them. At least then you can get some photos of the house with furniture in, and make sure you get one of the kitchen! It's the most expensive thing to change in a house so someone will instantly wonder if the kitchen is in poor condition if you've left a photo of it out.

All my opinion of course and others might disagree...

I guess that people looking at rightmove aren't interested in the reason, they just see a set of 6 photos that doesn't cover the entire house and shows a couple of empty rooms.

I'm sure the carpet is good quality, you can't tell from a photo though. One of the nearby houses has a nice looking wooden floor (probably just laminate, but you can't tell from a photo).

Not sure I'd describe such a dark colour as neutral. But perhaps it's just a personal preference thing.

Does the description even mention the garage? I should make that clear. Ideally get a photo from the outside that includes the garage. And if it has plenty of outside space them get some better photos to demonstrate it.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 10:32 ----------

I had another look, the garage is not mentioned.

One of my friends just bought a house, and the number 1 requirement was a garage for a motorbike. Your house would have been ruled out immediately.

It does say "Off road parking. " and that's it.

Also "The lounge has a stone fire surround with inset gas fire," Why no photo?

I agree the photo's are very poor, although it looks in decent nick there's no picture of the kitchen, and a nice kitchen is always a big plus.

The photo's do absolutely nothing to demonstrate the size of the rooms, which is tough anyway when the place is empty.

There's no floorplan either, this IMO is a mistake as it's very hard to gauge size and layout without one.

People browsing for property would probably pass this up on first glance.

Hmm strange, there were pictures of the lounge on Rightmove, I suspect the agent took them down. I will call them.

You can see the garage....

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35932146.html

I reduced it by £10K with the agent yesterday. Not really planning on dropping it any further. That's one helluva drop.

Looks a decent house and at a competitive price, I'd agree with the others that the photo's are not great though and if you have a garage which is an excellent selling point and that is not even mentioned in the advert.

When I was looking for a house I was looking for somewhere with an en suite and literally discounted every house that did not have one. There are that many properties for sale on rightmove that if someone wants a garage they won't even give yours a second look.

I would go into Browns and advise them to change the advert and also ask them to go in and take more photo's as currently they ones on there look rushed and don't do the house any favours.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 11:15 ----------

Hmm strange, there were pictures of the lounge on Rightmove, I suspect the agent took them down. I will call them.

You can see the garage....

If that is your garage in the picture how would a potential buyer know? I didn't and the advert does not mention it.

I've just phoned the agent and they'll make amendments and get new pictures taken.

Apparently an investor wants to view it since the price dropped....so fingers crossed.

I've just phoned the agent and they'll make amendments and get new pictures taken.

Apparently an investor wants to view it since the price dropped....so fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you, I know what it's like to want to sell when you've found somewhere to buy.

Re the Garage - because of the angle of the photo/position of the garage it looks like it belongs to next door.

In regards to your tenants "house sitting", are these tenants real tenants as in paying to rent or friends? I ask because if these are not friends and decide not to move out then you the house won't be empty in April. This is what would put me off knowing that your tenants could be awkward and refuse to leave. It could end up being months down the line before it was all sorted out.

Even if I were to put an offer in I would not progress any further until the tenants had left. So I would wait for April to come (assuming tenants leave then) before starting searches etc.