Strange Pub Names

Tea Gardens pub is a unusual name any connection to the Boston tea party I can't really see tea leaves been grow at Sheffield?

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 18:25 ----------

The "round house", at the bottom of Heeley Green'?

I believe that is the nickname of the Victoria due to part of the facade been rounded at the front.

Tea Gardens pub is a unusual name any connection to the Boston tea party I can't really see tea leaves been grow at Sheffield?

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 18:25 ----------

I believe that is the nickname of the Victoria due to part of the facade been rounded at the front.

Tea gardens was originally the Saracens head.

Tea gardens was originally the Saracens head.

That's interesting , Saracens Head has connections to Turkish soldiers so at some point in the pubs life it was renamed Tea Gardens I wonder why ?

That's interesting , Saracens Head has connections to Turkish soldiers so at some point in the pubs life it was renamed Tea Gardens I wonder why ?

Can't help there,but i'm still in touch with the old landlady see if she knows.know years back it was a coaching inn that could be it.

Can't help there,but i'm still in touch with the old landlady see if she knows.know years back it was a coaching inn that could be it.

The 'Tea Gardens' was on Grimesthorpe Road in the Burngreave/Ellesmere area of Pitsmoor and adjacent to the pub was a small cul-de-sac, Tea Garden Terrace that was there up to the late '60s. As for far away place connections Turkey and Boston (I presume Massachusetts U.S.A.) I fail to see the connection. However, I can understand that the place may have been a coach inn as Grimesthorpe Road (Gower Street to Upwell Lane) and Carlisle Street East (Sutherland Road to Upwell Street) were the longest in that area.

Edited by stpetre
Add

The Muff Inn, AKA The Farfield and The Owl, Neepsend

There is a pub in Toronto called The Dogs ********. I am not joking, google it Thought that might happen so we shall say testes and you will get the drift.

Edited by TORONTONY

The one off Meadow Bank Road ? The name Green Bricks comes from the fact the wall under the window is made from green bricks I think.

Spot on mate !

There is a pub in Toronto called The Dogs ********. I am not joking, google it Thought that might happen so we shall say testes and you will get the drift.

Don't know about that one but is seems there's some kind of competition for outrageousness.

Filthy McNastys, Scruffy Murphys and the Snail and Lettuce (they sold food) all seemed to do well in Toronto! :)

Put Filthy McNasty into you tube, you get some excellent music.

Don't know about that one but is seems there's some kind of competition for outrageousness.

Filthy McNastys, Scruffy Murphys and the Snail and Lettuce (they sold food) all seemed to do well in Toronto! :)

Dogs is on Queen St west between Bathurst and Dufferin on the south side of the street.

Sportsman Inn at the top of Oak Street Heeley, always known as "The Boilermakers".