Strange Pub Names

Fox and Duck rings a bell but can't locate it in my head. Used to go in the Fox and Grapes at the other end of Hadfields/ Millspaugh, but only when doing the odd night shift at shutdown time

There was a 'Fox and Duck' on Pitsmoor Road (street name changed to Pye Bank Road later.)

Hi Stpetre there was a pub at tinsley on Sheffield rd called the Fox a Duck I think it as gone now

Hi Stpetre there was a pub at tinsley on Sheffield rd called the Fox a Duck I think it as gone now

Yes, some one was asking as to was there another pub of the same name other than Tinsley. Both gone now, pity as the one at Pitsmoor would have made a great private house and stone built too.

I always remember the bus conductor who used to shout, "ram well in" as the ladies were getting ready to leave the bus at the Ranwell Inn bus stop :)

Or even "ram more in" at the Ranmoor Inn bus stop. :)

i saw something on here about Byards Leap up on Norfolk park.

Wasn't Byard a magical horse or unicorn or something....

something else, not a strange pub name but what about the "top" Freedom and "bottom" Freedom on Walkley.....you could spend all night going from one to another looking up folks - good job they were connected by Freedom Road (there's a coincidence!)

Byard was just a horse, nothing magical about it at all, it gained fame for jumping over a wide stretch of river which was deemed impossible for a horse but Byard ridden by its owner proved local people wrong.

Bog Cart inn Hexham. All the customers were cloned they all looked the same facial features. Sat in a long room wuth the bar at the far end. as you walked to the bar everything went quiet then started up after you walked out.

The Fleece and Furkin in Bristol and the Elephant's Nest in Mary Tavy (near Tavistock)

Guest makapaka
i saw something on here about Byards Leap up on Norfolk park.

Wasn't Byard a magical horse or unicorn or something....

something else, not a strange pub name but what about the "top" Freedom and "bottom" Freedom on Walkley.....you could spend all night going from one to another looking up folks - good job they were connected by Freedom Road (there's a coincidence!)

There's also the Palm Tree at Walkley which sounds like it should be a cocktail bar in town but is in fact a nice traditional local pub.

why Not Inn was at 27 Clun Street opened in 1864.

---------- Post added 04-03-2016 at 11:54 ----------

One name that is unusual but I like it was a pub called Cyclops was at 101 Carsile Street opened in 1864 closed 1922.

I bet that was a one eyed joint!.:bigsmile:

I put this on the Grimesthorpe thread some time ago. It may explain the unusual name of the Who Can Tell but no one believes it.

When a pub was opened on the corner of Botham Street and Ruthin Street, it acquired an unusual name: 'Who Can Tell'. I've often wished 'Someone Could Tell'

how it came to have the name but anyone who knew will have been supping pints in that great Tap Room in the sky for many years past.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...00/s217721.jpg

Could there be a clue with the absence of a question mark?

Are the words 'Who Can Tell' part of a longer sentence?

Was the landlord or lady hoping to moderate their customers drinking habits by way of a warning?

Or was it the result of someone's sense of humour?

Whatever the answer, it has been lost in the mist of time, a time of long ago. Or to be more precise, about 2,700 years ago in Nineveh. Nineveh is thought to have been in the modern day country of Iraq but like many civilizations throughout the ages, was mired in its own success.

Drunkenness, fornication, gluttony and greed were rife and the Great Almighty was not pleased.

God, who looked upon Yorkshire as the Heavenly county and spoke with a Yorkshire accent, sent for his old pal and trouble shooter, Jonah. "Jonah, get thi sen off t' Nineveh and sort the lazy sods art. Tell 'em, if they don't stop buggerin' abart an' mend their ways, I'll send a few plagues an' famines an' bolts o' lightenin', that should square 'em up".

Jonah jumped on a passing ship and set sail for Nineveh but he hadn't gone very far when the crew took a dislike to him and chucked him over the side. His problems got worse when a passing whale swallowed him whole. Then, Jonah's luck changed when the whale puked him up along with a couple of tons of smelly sardines on a sandy beach not too far from Baghdad.

He rented a camel for a couple of days and made his way to Nineveh where he sought an audience with the King who was also the chairman and concert secretary of the newly affiliated Nineveh Working Mens' Club." Th'art lucky t' catch me". said King Nineveh to Jonah. "Me an' t' committee 'ave just got back from a talent spottin' trip t' Sheffield", where among other things, they too learned to speak God's tongue.

Jonah said. "Shurrup an' listen". The King and the rest of the committee listened, while Jonah, as the saying goes, put the fear of God up 'em. Telling them straight about God's anger and threats to wipe the entire population of Nineveh off the face of the Earth.

Realising the error of their ways, the people of Nineveh asked for forgiveness and promised to spend the next six months wearing sack cloth and ashes.

When Jonah left, the King turned to the assembled people of Nineveh and said something like this:

"Who knows, God may relent and not destroy us if we repent and mend our ways?"

.................................................. .................................................. .....................

Jonah. Chapter 3: Verse 9.

WHO CAN TELL if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?

I bet that was a one eyed joint!.:bigsmile:

The Cyclops pub- gone long before my life time- was on Carlisle Street near Hallcar Street and opposite the Cammell-Laird steelworks named 'Cyclops Works' perhaps hence the name. The steelworks became English Steel Corporation, retaining the Cyclops Works name. The building, as of 2017, is still there. Further along, on Carlisle Street East was the 'Atlas' pub across from Firth-Brown's Atlas works.

Also the 'North Pole' (Sussex Street), not sure what it had to do with the Arctic part of the world as in was in the Norfolk Bridge area.

Edited by stpetre
Add