Strange Pub Names

There were two pubs called 'The Plumpers' in the Attercliffe area, one (a Stones' house) at Sheffield Road and Bawtry Road in Tinsley, demolished and re-built nearby and one (a Tetley's place ) on Sutherland Street at Norfolk Bridge.

Yep, stpetre, that's the one. Ta.

Never knew there was another Plumpers, apologies to Horribleblob.

That's ok, TORONTONY.

The North Pole. I used to work at Tempered Tools, just round the corner from the North Pole. One of my work mates spent so much time in the pub he got the nick name "Nanook" :hihi:

The cuckoo, on gleadless road near where the upper heeley club used to be

The proper name was 'Prospect View' but nicknamed the Cuckoo as they were supposed to sell short measures

Two pubs when l lived in Darlington

The Golden ****

And The Fighting Cocks

obviously owned by an ex pat :)

Here in TO we had a line of "Firkin" pubs, Fox & Firkin, Fiddle & Firkin, firkin this, firkin that etc.etc

Firkin pubs were a chain in the UK as well using the barrel measure to come up with 'humerous' names. Seem to recall one that was called the Pheonix and Firkin that had a T-Shirt for sale that said 'Pheonix my Pint I'll Firkin kill him'.

The North Pole. I used to work at Tempered Tools, just round the corner from the North Pole. One of my work mates spent so much time in the pub he got the nick name "Nanook" :hihi:
My uncle Sydney spent so much time in the Horse & Jockey that he was known as "Lester". :P

I think the pub you are thinking about is the 'Who Can Tell' (Tennant's) was at Botham Street and Ruthin Street in Grimesthorpe. The supposed name coming from the outcome of a horse race. As for 'East House' not a strange name as it was in that side of Sheffield, but then again !

why Not Inn was at 27 Clun Street opened in 1864.

---------- Post added 04-03-2016 at 11:54 ----------

One name that is unusual but I like it was a pub called Cyclops was at 101 Carsile Street opened in 1864 closed 1922.

Edited by crookedspire

[/color]One name that is unusual but I like it was a pub called Cyclops was at 101 Carsile Street opened in 1864 closed 1922.

Our former historical relationship with Turkey was reflected in quite a few of the old pubs in the U.K., Saracen's Head, Turk and Scimitar, not to mention tobacco packaging, Grand Turk, Pasha and the rest.

Hi Torontony yes I remember the plumpers at Tinsley I did live in Tinsley I also went to another pub there called the Fox and Duck Brian

Hi Torontony yes I remember the plumpers at Tinsley I did live in Tinsley I also went to another pub there called the Fox and Duck Brian

Fox and Duck rings a bell but can't locate it in my head. Used to go in the Fox and Grapes at the other end of Hadfields/ Millspaugh, but only when doing the odd night shift at shutdown time

Hi torontony the Fox and Duck was on the corner of Ferrars RD and Sheffield RD Going towards Rotheram Brian

Rest And Be Thankful at Wheddon Cross in Somerset