Strange Pub Names

Don't know about that one but is seems there's some kind of competition for outrageousness.

Filthy McNastys, Scruffy Murphys and the Snail and Lettuce (they sold food) all seemed to do well in Toronto! :)

Skip the salad eh?

Skip the salad eh?

It was actually called. "The Slug and Lettuce". (Yonge and Sheppard)

Same thing though!

I always understood that The Hole in The Wall got it's name from the hammer-men at the steelworkers taking time off during night shift and nipping to the pub for a few glasses of ale. Obviously accessing the premises through a hole in the wall that the landlord of the pub made for them. Day shift got time off and beer tokens of course...

O.K. TORONTONY opened the door to non Sheffield pubs so, a few years ago in los Angeles there was a bar [ not a pub ] called BETTIES "PISTOL DAWN ' Get it ???

A few more unusual names: Q in the Corner the pub was somewhere on Paradise Square, Why Not pub perhaps named after a race horse, East House on Spital Hill . Nickname one Shout them down another long gone Paradise Square boozer.

A few more unusual names: Q in the Corner the pub was somewhere on Paradise Square, Why Not pub perhaps named after a race horse, East House on Spital Hill . Nickname one Shout them down another long gone Paradise Square boozer.

I think the pub you are thinking about is the 'Who Can Tell' (Tennant's) was at Botham Street and Ruthin Street in Grimesthorpe. The supposed name coming from the outcome of a horse race. As for 'East House' not a strange name as it was in that side of Sheffield, but then again !

Edited by stpetre
Add

O.K. TORONTONY opened the door to non Sheffield pubs so, a few years ago in los Angeles there was a bar [ not a pub ] called BETTIES "PISTOL DAWN ' Get it ???

obviously owned by an ex pat :)

Here in TO we had a line of "Firkin" pubs, Fox & Firkin, Fiddle & Firkin, firkin this, firkin that etc.etc

Edited by trastrick

When I moved to Sheffield, one of the first pubs I visited was The Plumpers, in Attercliffe. Urged on by my drinking companion, I remember querying (in my alien accent) why our pint glasses weren't quite full and then being given short shrift by the barman. I never returned and the pub was demolished a year or so later. I assumed "Plumpers" was a cutlery thing (like Buffers) and understand that the Attercliffe pub wasn't the only one in Sheffield to bear the name.

there can't be many stranger pub names then "The Lambpool" ont cliffe yrs ago .... wonder how that got its name ?

When I moved to Sheffield, one of the first pubs I visited was The Plumpers, in Attercliffe. Urged on by my drinking companion, I remember querying (in my alien accent) why our pint glasses weren't quite full and then being given short shrift by the barman. I never returned and the pub was demolished a year or so later. I assumed "Plumpers" was a cutlery thing (like Buffers) and understand that the Attercliffe pub wasn't the only one in Sheffield to bear the name.

It was actually Tinsley where the Plumpers was located, close to where the motorway overpass was eventually built. Good pint of Stones, called in many a Saturday lunchtime after work at Hadfields across the road, in the sixties.

There were two pubs called 'The Plumpers' in the Attercliffe area, one (a Stones' house) at Sheffield Road and Bawtry Road in Tinsley, demolished and re-built nearby and one (a Tetley's place ) on Sutherland Street at Norfolk Bridge.

There were two pubs called 'The Plumpers' in the Attercliffe area, one (a Stones' house) at Sheffield Road and Bawtry Road in Tinsley, demolished and re-built nearby and one (a Tetley's place ) on Sutherland Street at Norfolk Bridge.

Never knew there was another Plumpers, apologies to Horribleblob.