Strange Pub Names

The Closed Shop and the North Pole. Not the mention the Bull & Mouth in Waingate. The name has nothing to do with livestock - it commemorates a naval victory at the "mouth" of a French harbour "Boulogne Mouth". :)
Always called it the Bull and Gob anyways lol;)

my mates and me , used to call the market tavern ,the beggers inn has there was always somebody scroungin a fag or money outside wenever you walked past.

Who Can Tell,it was on Botham Street Sheff 4,cannot find out the origin of the name.

The HOOKER end of Ruthin Street Grimesthorpe could not tell if it was a house or boozre its on picture Sheffield .com

What about the "Low Drop" around Stevenson road area, never knew it,s real name.

What about the "Low Drop" around Stevenson road area, never knew it,s real name.

That pub's proper name was the 'Crown Inn' (Whitbead's) and was at the corner of Bessemer Road and Faraday Road.

Go on tell all then?

---------- Post added 23-02-2016 at 21:57 ----------

Their was a pub called Why Not supposedly named after a race horse the same applies to the Who Can Tell pub and the Cossack which was named after a Derby winner in the 1840s.

Are you sure it wasn't an Oaks winner that the Cossack was named after? Think about it lol;)

Are you sure it wasn't an Oaks winner that the Cossack was named after? Think about it lol;)

I'm going to build a time machine for you so can find out for us. Didn't the Hole in the Wall on Savile Street have a nickname something to do with vinager works. Another thing about the HITW pub when you look at photos of the building the left part doesn't match the right part , was the left part originally part of the old vinager works ( gateway) it always looked at strange building?

The Turners Arms on psalters lane was known as the GREEN BRICKS PUBLIC HOUSE

The "round house", at the bottom of Heeley Green'?

The Turners Arms on psalters lane was known as the GREEN BRICKS PUBLIC HOUSE
The one off Meadow Bank Road ? The name Green Bricks comes from the fact the wall under the window is made from green bricks I think.

I'm going to build a time machine for you so can find out for us. Didn't the Hole in the Wall on Savile Street have a nickname something to do with vinager works. Another thing about the HITW pub when you look at photos of the building the left part doesn't match the right part , was the left part originally part of the old vinager works ( gateway) it always looked at strange building?

'Hole in the Wall' was it's nickname, the proper name being 'The Wicker Brewery', (Tetley's) .No beer was brewed there, but as you say, was part of and old vinegar distillery.

yes Victoria Hotel was it's name, as for 'Monkey' don't know but there was another pub in Darnall that had the same nickname.

Hubby says the one at darnall was the cricket inn.