Little London Road/Queens Road Traffic Control

How have they managed to big it up into a terribly expensive job?

I'll knock it up for them with a some lights, Raspberry PIs and wireless comms between gantries.

If you have a link, please, to these current requirements then I'll make sure they are taken into account.

Unfortunately you'd need to get your solution type approved by the government. All traffic control equipment used in the uk has to be type approved.

Good luck with that.

I'm told this is correct, but the timescale isn't yet fixed as it depends on other workload, so slippage can occur.

The tidal flow system is basicaly at the end of it's life, it's obsolete and no longer meets current government specification for such traffic management arrangements. If it was refurbished / replaced it would need to meet current requirements, which add to the costs, so it appears the most exconomic way forward is to remove it and return to a more traditional arrangement.

I'm told the new proposals have been modelled and don't appear to compromise journey times.

I negotiate queens road everyday and hate it.If something improves queens road i am all for it.The amount of accidents i have seen is incredible.Head ons are quite common.Impatient drivers who move into an imaginary third lane way before the third lane starts nearly hitting cars turning from side roads.Idiots who think the right turns on queens road near B & Q are right filters so do not bother indicating to turn right leaving all the ones who want to go straight on stuck behind them.There is then two cars side by side both trying to race each other to avoid going into the bus lane.There are the idiots who do not realise that the bus lanes only operate at certain times and days because they obviously cannot read the big blue signs at the side of the road.I have had drivers verbally abusing me because i have used the bus lanes on saturdays which i am perfectly allowed to do.I hate queens road and some of the morons who use it.To call the road a disaster is an understatement.:mad:

I negotiate queens road everyday and hate it.If something improves queens road i am all for it.

It doesn't look like the road is the problem with what you wrote...

Look at your list here:

The amount of accidents i have seen is incredible.Head ons are quite common.

1. Impatient drivers who move into an imaginary third lane way before the third lane starts nearly hitting cars turning from side roads.

2. Idiots who think the right turns on queens road near B & Q are right filters so do not bother indicating to turn right leaving all the ones who want to go straight on stuck behind them.

3. There is then two cars side by side both trying to race each other to avoid going into the bus lane.: bad drivers

4. There are the idiots who do not realise that the bus lanes only operate at certain times and days because they obviously cannot read the big blue signs at the side of the road.

5. I have had drivers verbally abusing me because i have used the bus lanes on saturdays which i am perfectly allowed to do.

I hate queens road and some of the morons who use it.To call the road a disaster is an understatement.:mad:

-

Everything in this post and in Planner's post, is an example of a race to the bottom of any kind of human responsibility.

Make it 'user-friendly' to me means spend millions of pounds altering something for the worse, because of people who aren't intelligent enough to drive.

---------- Post added 25-02-2016 at 23:28 ----------

I've just thought of another section of road that has better traffic flow since it was 'improved'

the new 'roundabout' at Owlerton at peak times.

Funnily enough, looking at this thread now :hihi:

Today the lights were out at this entire junction, and I passed through it 3 times to get to Livesey Street and out again, and through the main road a couple of times, ALL trouble free and no queuing.

Look at your list here:

-

Everything in this post and in Planner's post, is an example of a race to the bottom of any kind of human responsibility.

Make it 'user-friendly' to me means spend millions of pounds altering something for the worse, because of people who aren't intelligent enough to drive.

Today the lights were out at this entire junction, and I passed through it 3 times to get to Livesey Street and out again, and through the main road a couple of times, ALL trouble free and no queuing.

I turned right from Penistone Road towards Hillborough Corner while the lights were off. It went very smoothly. Traffic on Penistone Road stopped as the queue stopped ahead of them, leaving the junction clear and a lot of us were able to turn right. People were being considerate, and it worked a treat.

However, on the flip side, I recall a couple of occasions where drivers totally block the roundabout at Shalesmoor to traffic crossing their path because they don't want to risk losing "their" place.

Really? That's a shame - I've always thought that the tidal flow has been a definite success for Sheffield's traffic management.

It has been for car drivers. Bugger that. Both them buses each hour on the outward lanes in the evening use the same lanes as car drivers. Can't be having that. Need to create a new bus lane for both them buses. See if we can grid lock them pesky car drivers back to Park Square that's what I say.

Look at your list here:

-

I agree that a lot of the problems are bad drivers,but i believe that designing a road where you can be side to side but only one lane for both cars to get into is insane.This is because of the bus lanes.What kind of twit designs a junction with two lanes going into one in just a distance of a few yards from a traffic light.It is encouraging a drag race and impending disaster.

Just a shame this tidal flow was never used as it should have been, travel towards town past Ponsfords there are two over head gantries which as far as I know have never been used.

There is also a further over head gantry just after the railway bridge which again has never been used.

All because when the road bridge at Heeley was re built it was only wide enough for two lanes either way.

Just a shame this tidal flow was never used as it should have been, travel towards town past Ponsfords there are two over head gantries which as far as I know have never been used.

There is also a further over head gantry just after the railway bridge which again has never been used.

All because when the road bridge at Heeley was re built it was only wide enough for two lanes either way.

I think the bus lane put that bit of the tidal flow out of action.

Would be intersting to see what the new plans are, and if tech will be used in traffic management or lanes will be fixed? Any SCC links up for planning?

seems what the system does is that it filters traffic round the bottom of the moor.

Would be intersting to see what the new plans are, and if tech will be used in traffic management or lanes will be fixed? Any SCC links up for planning?

:hihi::hihi:

Iam sure the gantries mentioned were used originally