A Local Currency for Sheffield

Wonder what the exchange rate will start at £1.00 GBP to £100000.00 SP?

What an utter pointless exercise if you ask me.

The "exchange rate" would be 1 for 1. This isn't intended to be legal tender, it will act very much like a gift token.

We are a group of Sheffielders, this is a voluntary project

Thanks, it's a very interesting idea that has had an effect elsewhere, but who is the group of Sheffielders?

Thanks, it's a very interesting idea that has had an effect elsewhere, but who is the group of Sheffielders?

Louis & Chris - Co founders, we live in south east Sheffield, then there are other volunteers who are involved to greater or lessor degrees, are you interested in getting involved Eric? :)

the 'Alcopfennig' has been used fairly regularly as a major form of currency around Crookes since 2002. Differing slightly from other currency, it still has two sides, albeit the west side and the east side.

World currency markets currently place the value of the Alcopfennig on par with the U.S dollar ($), in as much that three Alcopfennigs are pretty much the equivalent of a 250g jar of Marmite. However, with the price of raw yeast extract likely to increase due to world demand, as well as the drop in oil prices, the Dow Jones is predicting the Alcopfennig will replace the dollar as the worlds leading currency before the half term holidays, at the same time pushing the SCC 'Parking Meter Token' and the Aldi shopping trolley 'Rusty Old Washer' to an all time low.

Exquisitely minted from bits of baking foil, Alcopfennigs can be purchased from the Area 51 and a Half™ foreign exchange facility, in amounts not less than the equivalent of £35,000. This is a 'first come, first served' offer, as, due to having roast chicken at the weekend, reserves of the raw minting materials are a bit low.

Louis & Chris - Co founders, we live in south east Sheffield, then there are other volunteers who are involved to greater or lessor degrees, are you interested in getting involved Eric? :)

A colleague has certainly looked at it in the past and I would be a supporter but don't have time to be involved. I do think we could know a bit more about who you are, and your journey to get you to where you are today. Sheffield Forum might not be the friendliest environment to put that on show, but do you have a website?

the 'Alcopfennig' has been used fairly regularly as a major form of currency around Crookes since 2002. Differing slightly from other currency, it still has two sides, albeit the west side and the east side.

World currency markets currently place the value of the Alcopfennig on par with the U.S dollar ($), in as much that three Alcopfennigs are pretty much the equivalent of a 250g jar of Marmite. However, with the price of raw yeast extract likely to increase due to world demand, as well as the drop in oil prices, the Dow Jones is predicting the Alcopfennig will replace the dollar as the worlds leading currency before the half term holidays, at the same time pushing the SCC 'Parking Meter Token' and the Aldi shopping trolley 'Rusty Old Washer' to an all time low.

Exquisitely minted from bits of baking foil, Alcopfennigs can be purchased from the Area 51 and a Half™ foreign exchange facility, in amounts not less than the equivalent of £35,000. This is a 'first come, first served' offer, as, due to having roast chicken at the weekend, reserves of the raw minting materials are a bit low.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Pure genius! :clap:

You're wasted on here Mr Alco! :thumbsup:

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Pure genius! :clap:

You're wasted on here Mr Alco! :thumbsup:

Still nowhere near the lofty heights of our cycling friend so far as devastating repartee and quicksilver rational thought are concerned, but at least I'm trying! :thumbsup:

I think you've got to much time on your hands ..

I think you've got to much time on your hands ..

Wrist, to be more precise. :)

Wrist, to be more precise. :)

I was being polite .. lol

Hmmm....

"Give us your money, and we will give you vouchers / tokens that be spent in certain shops"

I wonder who owns these shops :suspect:

Sounds a lot like the iceland / asda type savings club...

Edited by Ghostrider

Hmmm....

"Give us your money, and we will give you vouchers / tokens that be spent in shops"

I wonder who owns these shops :suspect:

Sounds a lot like the iceland / asda type savings club...

If memory serves me correctly, I think somewhere round abouts 1800 Richard Arkright paid his cotton mill workers (Cromford?) in tokens, so that they could only spend their 'money' at his shops. Having said that, he was a nice bloke.