A Local Currency for Sheffield

What if the currency goes bankrupt? Can it? What if you're holding on to some local currency if things go tits up? Will it have the Queen's head on it?

Nice idea, btw, although I think some of the claims you make are a little overblown.

Will go down well in Meersbrook, I'm sure. See you at SheffSoup.

I think you've got to much time on your hands ..

Somebody is trying something positive to help support the city.

What ideas do you and the other naysayers have?

Nay...............

Hi guys! Thanks for all the support and feedback, it's really useful for us. We are pitching for start up funding tonight at Sheffield Soup crowdfunding event. We don't have a website as yet, but you can like, share and discuss the idea on our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SheffieldPound/

the 'Alcopfennig' has been used fairly regularly as a major form of currency around Crookes since 2002. Differing slightly from other currency, it still has two sides, albeit the west side and the east side.

World currency markets currently place the value of the Alcopfennig on par with the U.S dollar ($), in as much that three Alcopfennigs are pretty much the equivalent of a 250g jar of Marmite. However, with the price of raw yeast extract likely to increase due to world demand, as well as the drop in oil prices, the Dow Jones is predicting the Alcopfennig will replace the dollar as the worlds leading currency before the half term holidays, at the same time pushing the SCC 'Parking Meter Token' and the Aldi shopping trolley 'Rusty Old Washer' to an all time low.

Exquisitely minted from bits of baking foil, Alcopfennigs can be purchased from the Area 51 and a Half™ foreign exchange facility, in amounts not less than the equivalent of £35,000. This is a 'first come, first served' offer, as, due to having roast chicken at the weekend, reserves of the raw minting materials are a bit low.

Priceless! (lol)

:hihi:

But seriously, I don't see the advantage of 'local currencies' from the point of view of the consumer. Just seems a little pathetic.

Priceless! (lol)

:hihi:

But seriously, I don't see the advantage of 'local currencies' from the point of view of the consumer. Just seems a little pathetic.

I do rather well out of my Alcopfennigâ„¢ currency to be honest, the great advantage of course being the manufacturing cost is, on a sliding scale of 'a lot', down to 'money for old rope ('money for old foil' in fact, so as not to be nitpicked by the hyper-vigilant intellectual cognoscente on here)', very much toward the latter end.

My exchange rate from gullible participating Crookes businesses, back into pounds sterling also weighs very much in my favour, mainly due to me being the only financial institution dealing in these sorts of transactions.

I have or have had a Sheffield coin (1d I think)about 150 years old

You're no spring chicken are you? :o

Hi guys! Thanks for all the support and feedback, it's really useful for us. We are pitching for start up funding tonight at Sheffield Soup crowdfunding event. We don't have a website as yet, but you can like, share and discuss the idea on our facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/SheffieldPound/

:suspect:

Oh dear...

... it looks like the Sheffield pound idea was not a full shilling after all! :(

the 'Alcopfennig' has been used fairly regularly as a major form of currency around Crookes since 2002. Differing slightly from other currency, it still has two sides, albeit the west side and the east side.

World currency markets currently place the value of the Alcopfennig on par with the U.S dollar ($), in as much that three Alcopfennigs are pretty much the equivalent of a 250g jar of Marmite. However, with the price of raw yeast extract likely to increase due to world demand, as well as the drop in oil prices, the Dow Jones is predicting the Alcopfennig will replace the dollar as the worlds leading currency before the half term holidays, at the same time pushing the SCC 'Parking Meter Token' and the Aldi shopping trolley 'Rusty Old Washer' to an all time low.

Exquisitely minted from bits of baking foil, Alcopfennigs can be purchased from the Area 51 and a Half™ foreign exchange facility, in amounts not less than the equivalent of £35,000. This is a 'first come, first served' offer, as, due to having roast chicken at the weekend, reserves of the raw minting materials are a bit low.

Lol, man that is hilarious :hihi: I dreamed of being an Embassy coupon millionaire in the 70's, but when it failed I left the country.

Edited by TORONTONY

I thought naysaying was what Sheffield Forum was for.