Windows 10 on laptop?

what machine do you need windows 10 on ? what os does it have at the moment ? i do clean genuine os installs and data recovery so can probably help,you can install it yourself if you have time,or you can pop it round,iam in hackenthorpe

Thanks for that and I will let you know.

Have you ran the Windows 10 upgrade tool yet?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-upgrade

No,because I do not want to make a mistake and install it onto my P.C.which is the only machine with the free update on.If I tried to download the free update onto the laptop would it work, although I did not apply for the free update on the laptop?

Edited by Kidorry

It should work if the laptop is compatible with Win10.

What is the make and model of the laptop?

An oldish HP invent.Just going to have a try on the laptop now to see if I can download it.Will let you know what happens.

---------- Post added 01-03-2016 at 20:25 ----------

Started to download it 30 minutes ago and only downloaded 31%,looks like a long night ahead.

---------- Post added 02-03-2016 at 08:41 ----------

Downloaded it O.K but could not install because the code I have on my laptop is for Vista which was on the machine when I bought it,so, I will have to see the person who put me this Windows 7 on for the code.Also battery is on its way out,I have to have it plugged in all the time.Never rain but what it pours.

Edited by Kidorry

If this is the update you install while still running Windows 7, you shouldn't need a code.

Unless of course the person who "put you Windows 7 on" actually used a pirated version. ;)

If this is the update you install while still running Windows 7, you shouldn't need a code.

Unless of course the person who "put you Windows 7 on" actually used a pirated version. ;)

I trust the person who put it me on because it is his business.

I trust the person who put it me on because it is his business.

Its most often small-businesses that do put pirated or invalid versions on.

If it was a legitimate retail/upgrade copy then he should have given you the box, DVD and sticker for your laptop. At the very least I would expect him to give you a printout of the registration code if he had used an online purchased download copy.

Not true, as while Windows 10 will install it will refuse to keep up-to-date with security patches if its a pirated version.

There does seem to be a lot of contradicting information online. Even Microsoft themselves have both said they will not support pirated copies with future updates, yet currently it seems you are correct and they are doing.

Bottom line though, they could pull support at any time so its rather risky to use a pirated upgrade.

Hopefully this is all a misunderstanding and it turns out to be a legitimate copy anyway.

To clear things up...your windows 7 key is linked to windows 10 key.you need a legal copy of windows 7 to upgrade with the same key, even if the windows 10 update notification is not in your windows 7 updates, you can still go on microsofts site and download and install windows 10 for free. Once installed, windows 10 will link your win 7 key.However, if you did not have a legal copy of windows 7, you could still upgrade to windows 10 for free but you would not have a valid windows 10 key so you may run into support and update problems, you would have to purchase a windows 10 key or go back to windows 7 and purchase a valid windows 7 key, then upgrade to windows 10. That was straight forward wasnt it !