Windows 10 on laptop?

Thanks for the information all of you and the next time I am on the laptop I will have a look at those options.

There is no hassle. it takes about 30 minutes. and is about as simple as possible

The hassle come if the install has problems and as others have said you may end up with stuff not working. If it ain't broke then don't try and fix it comes to mind as the normal user will not notice any difference by upgrading on a laptop.

If it ain't broke don't fix it does not apply to anything that goes online though. Because by the time you find out its broken its usually too late.

Plus as I already said, there are improvements such as the Netflix app, lower memory requirements, better high dpi support, etc.

If you are a consumer of content such as video streaming then there are very real improvements in DRM support, codec support, etc.

Alex.

Is windows 7 broken in any way? especially as security update will still continue till 2020. How many people have had their computers compromised running Win 7?

That's a pretty difficult thing to judge, but I believe security was supposed to be one of the things they were focusing on with Windows 10, not just bug-fixes but actual OS level changes to decrease the attack vectors.

There are also a ton of improvements to things like task manager and file management in general.

Bottom line, sooner or later an upgrade is going to be needed. You do it now its free, you do it later you have to pay.

I agree that people will have to upgrade eventually but think its better to do so after the normal service pack update comes out as it could be that its less secure now that win 7 is.

I imaged my drive, then upgraded and imaged the drive and then downgraded again because I didn't get on with it. Now if I want to have 10 again I will just re-install the image I made.

Edit'

Instead of downgraded I should have put I re-installed the win 7 image I had made earlier.

Edited by apelike

I just use the laptop as a standby and it has not got Netflix and I never watch videos on it.

you need to upgrade first. once its registered you can use disc to do fresh install as the pc/ laptop will be on the system not the original coa.

it wont work if you try to instal fresh

dont like downgrade back to original os

I agree that people will have to upgrade eventually but think its better to do so after the normal service pack update comes out as it could be that its less secure now that win 7 is.

I imaged my drive, then upgraded and imaged the drive and then downgraded again because I didn't get on with it. Now if I want to have 10 again I will just re-install the image I made.

Edit'

Instead of downgraded I should have put I re-installed the win 7 image I had made earlier.

Arguably Windows 10 is pretty much Windows 8 SP2 anyway.

Also, the November update effectively was was service pack 1 and the majority of the earlier issues were resolved with it.

Even if Windows 10 was less secure its also less of an attack vector because hackers will always target the largest chunk of the market for the most damage. They will also have had a lot longer to find holes in Windows 7 than 10.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I took the free win 10 upgrade and iam glad i did, my laptop boots up really fast now and the whole thin runs much quicker than on win 7

My problem is I have not got the option on my laptop,only the P.C.

My problem is I have not got the option on my laptop,only the P.C.
what machine do you need windows 10 on ? what os does it have at the moment ? i do clean genuine os installs and data recovery so can probably help,you can install it yourself if you have time,or you can pop it round,iam in hackenthorpe Edited by Jerky