Desktop problem

Problem with desktop - started with keyboard not working, tried another still not working - looked in Device manager and keyboard wasn't there. Tried System Restore with the on screen keyboard. That went through and then 38 updates came up. Then shock horror - black screen with just the mouse pointer. Nothing else. There was a box came up with something about Realtek Audio click OK which we did but still nothing.

Do you need the data on the hard drive? Which operating system?

Yes we do its windows 8.1. She says she has a recovery on a memory stick. I think its a bit above my capabilities any advice would be appreciated.

Someone should be able to advise on here about where you can take it for someone to have a look. I have to pop out but will check the thread later.

I had the black screen with just a pointer issue when trying to upgrade to windows 10. The solution was to do the install without being connected to the internet, then when it was all up and running reconnect the internet and let it do the updates. You could try a similar approach. Do the system restore without an internet connection. Turn off your router if necessary. When it's done, turn the internet back on and then let it apply the updates.

I think thats a bit too complicated for me MoZaLaN. With a black screen and no keyboard I dont know where to start.

Thank you also to the person offering to take a look but we are in Cornwall.

Mozalan had a good solution prior to the system restore, however if it fails to boot properly during Windows update it's kind of borked. Need to try the system restore again I think.

No way of getting in to do a system restore - black screen - no keyboard

Its a black screen with the mouse pointer - can't press F8 as the keyboard is not working - have tried two keyboards neither of them worked.

Its a black screen with the mouse pointer - can't press F8 as the keyboard is not working - have tried two keyboards neither of them worked.

When you turn the computer on,from completely off?

when we switch on there is a Dell sign comes up but then it goes black - at one point there was a box came up with error message something about Realtek Audio - we clicked OK then screen went black. Its not at my house so can't try it again - advised my friend to get someone in!!!!

we did do a system restore before it all went black and are hoping that didn't make things worse!!!When it came back on there were 38 updates. Its strange because another friend had a similar problem with her laptop after updates but it was back to normal after leaving it for a week!! All very strange - we are awaiting the local IT man.

I am a bit upset because I usually solve all my friends problems but feel this is beyond me. thanks again Smary