Hair singeing at the barbers

When i was at my local traditional barbers the other day, i noticed on his price list he had "Hair Singeing"....not having a clue what it was all about i enquired and was told it was having the cut ends burnt with a lit taper :huh:

http://thegroomingguide.com/hair/traditional-hair-singeing/

not something i would imagine i would want doing, but he said it was quite popular in the old days. and one or two old customers still ask for the service, anyone had it done?

I've had some stray whiskers on my cheeks and hairs on my ears singed before - it's not particularly dangerous, as long as your barber knows what he / she is doing!

I've had some stray whiskers on my cheeks and hairs on my ears singed before - it's not particularly dangerous, as long as your barber knows what he / she is doing!

it seems a little pointless to me, but hey....if people want it, then why not

:o

... and I suppose the time you realise that your barber doesn't know what they're doing is when the smell of burning hair turns into the smell of burning flesh?

Not for me thanks! :shakes:

it seems a little pointless to me, but hey....if people want it, then why not

I had it done at a Turkish barbers when I went for my haircut....I think it would be pointless if you just had stray whiskers and ear fluff singed on its own with no hair cut!

I had it done at a Turkish barbers when I went for my haircut....I think it would be pointless if you just had stray whiskers and ear fluff singed on its own with no hair cut!

My barber told me he does it when people have a hair cut, he says they feel cold after a hair cut, and the singeing seals the ends and keeps them warmer......very strange

My barber told me he does it when people have a hair cut, he says they feel cold after a hair cut, and the singeing seals the ends and keeps them warmer......very strange

:huh:

Now I realise I may be being a bit of a wuss here...

... but I think wearing a woolly hat is far more preferable than letting a stranger set fire to your head! :partyhat:

In the late 60's / early 70's when I had very long hair I used to have it singed to get rid of split ends. The hairdresser would take a section of hair, twist it tightly then run a lighted taper down it. It worked really well. I mentioned this to some friends recently and they had never heard of it. Suggested I'd dreamt it. I know it wasn't a dream, I had it done at Roger Sherwood in Sheffield which was quite an expensive salon. Has anyone else heard of this or had it done?

The smell is horrendous

Not had the fire jobby, but for the first time ever had my lugs and snout waxed tother day. Makes your eyes water.

Angel1.

Tried the Turkish barber in Dronfield Woodhouse for the first time recently and he used the lighted taper business.   I didn't really understand why he did it until I read up about it online.   However, if I go there again, I shall specifically ask him not to do it, as it made my tinnitus worse.

I remember going with my grandfather in the 50,s and I attacked the harder for trying to set my grandfather on fire