Should everyone have to wear an identification number?

Would you wear a government ID number  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wear a government ID number

• Yes
    • No

As Loob as pointed out, the majority of us have a NI (Known in some circles as a, "Personal Account Number") by which we can be identified.

The usual political argument put up against such measures, is that personal privacy and personal details have to be protected from an intrusive -and authoritarian- State. That kind of argument is maintained by some; even in spite of the fact that today's society is replete with people's personals details ,that are harvested by all kinds of government and non government agencies.

I'm personally against having to display in public, my NI number -or any other badge showing personal details.

Edited by petemcewan

If everyone had a government issued ID number displayed on their person every time that they left the house, maybe on a tabard, or a patch, or a big badge would it eliminate wrongdoing?

No, but I do belive ID cards are a useful tool. Just Labour screwed up their introduction and made them a political football. iD cards are used across the EU without problem. In fact you can use them to cross borders also.

No, but I do belive ID cards are a useful tool. Just Labour screwed up their introduction and made them a political football. iD cards are used across the EU without problem. In fact you can use them to cross borders also.

Civil disobedience by millions would render such a scheme useless and as such any attempt to impose it would be a catastrophic waste of time and money.

Civil disobedience by millions would render such a scheme useless and as such any attempt to impose it would be a catastrophic waste of time and money.

It works elsewhere without issue. The problem we had was Labour tried to impose biometric information that was a step too far. The cost was also a huge factor and if they were given away free, like your NI card, I think we would have them in our wallets today.

One of the traits of fascism is authoritarian government where the people are accountable to the ruling regime instead of the ruling regime being accountable to the people. I don't agree with Halibut on much but on this I do... any government forcing people to 'wear' an ID number would be behaving in a fascist way.

I am still curious... what problem(s) do people think the wearing of ID numbers would solve?

I disagree as it is not nationalistic, which is a key requirement of fascism. It is authoritarian, but not fascist.

I don't think the wearing of id numbers would solve anything.

I disagree as it is not nationalistic, which is a key requirement of fascism. It is authoritarian, but not fascist.

I don't think the wearing of id numbers would solve anything.

It doesn't have to tick every box under the definition on fascism for it to be a fascist trait.

Anyway, it is all semantics. The main thing is that we agree that wearing ID numbers would not solve anything.

It works elsewhere without issue. The problem we had was Labour tried to impose biometric information that was a step too far. The cost was also a huge factor and if they were given away free, like your NI card, I think we would have them in our wallets today.

So what? It wouldn't work here, there'd be massive civil disobedience.

No, but I do belive ID cards are a useful tool.

What useful task would you put your useful tool to work on? If there's a need for identification the wearing of a fully visible ID number would be even more effective at achieving those tasks.

One of the traits of fascism is authoritarian government where the people are accountable to the ruling regime instead of the ruling regime being accountable to the people. I don't agree with Halibut on much but on this I do... any government forcing people to 'wear' an ID number would be behaving in a fascist way.

I am still curious... what problem(s) do people think the wearing of ID numbers would solve?

It would make it much easier to figure out the identity of criminals.

CCTV would most likely catch the criminal behaviour and looking up the ID number would then be easy.

It would make it much easier to figure out the identity of criminals.

CCTV would most likely catch the criminal behaviour and looking up the ID number would then be easy.

I think criminals would just hide the number.

I think criminals would just hide the number.

And just like hiding a number plate they would be breaking the law so could face arrest even before they break another law.

And just like hiding a number plate they would be breaking the law so could face arrest even before they break another law.

How sweet. :) it would encourage them to obey the law even more if Stone Island made kop chic ID tabards.