Should everyone have to wear an identification number?

Would you wear a government ID number  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wear a government ID number

• Yes
    • No

You agree? Why?

I agree with:

It has concluded that being forced to wear an ID number whilst you're out an about would be serious case of overkill when it comes to identifying people, and it would be a serious infringement of people's civil liberties.

Id cards have an ID number and in many countries citizens have to carry an ID card, therefore they are carrying an ID number. British police offices wear an ID number.

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 22:17 ----------

How is it different?

It's infringing on my civil liberties and dictating my wardrobe. You're talking utter rhubarb.

Wearing an ID number is no different to carrying an ID card, many countries have compulsory ID cards, none of this in any way compares to the Nazi's tattooing prisoners. I find it very bizarre that some of you can make the link.

But if it is wrong for our population to carry an ID number on the grounds that the Nazis did it first, then it must also be wrong to have a welfare state because the Nazis did it first.

That's seriously weird logic!

It's Smithy's special logic.

It's infringing on my civil liberties and dictating my wardrobe. You're talking utter rhubarb.

How does carrying an ID card infringe your civil liberties and dictate your wardrobe?

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 22:29 ----------

The seriously weird logic is comparing the Nazi policy of tattooing prisons with the carrying or wearing on an ID card or number by the entire population of a country.

How does carrying an ID card infringe your civil liberties and dictate your wardrobe?

In ID card doesn't infringe my wardrobe. Wearing an ID number does. Stop moving the goalposts.

I don't get why any citizen would, on the say so of Government, want to wear a number identifying them. Quite aside from the dreadful historical parallels it's an infringement of civil liberties, it assumes this or any future Government would be benign, not sell off or lose personal data, or that agents of the state, like the police, wouldn't abuse the system.

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 22:33 ----------

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 22:29 ----------

The seriously weird logic is comparing the Nazi policy of tattooing prisons with the carrying or wearing on an ID card or number by the entire population of a country.

I think the very fact that so many people on here automatically think the same thing, (which is rare of Sheffield Forum), should give you a clue as to how others in the country would feel if the Government sought to implement your idea.

Edited by Mister M

If everyone had a government issued ID number displayed on their person every time that they left the house, maybe on a tabard, or a patch, or a big badge would it eliminate wrongdoing?

Probably not. If they were responsible for injuring/killing someone or causing an accident, it would be easier to find them though.

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 22:35 ----------

To be fair to Eric he did start this thread as a consequence of someone suggesting something similar for cyclists and he was trying to show how stupid it was...

... Yet we do it with motorists

In ID card doesn't infringe my wardrobe. Wearing an ID number does. Stop moving the goalposts.

Carrying something would surely be as inconvenient as wearing something. A badge with a number on it would be easer to carry/wear than an ID card.

Carrying something would surely be as inconvenient as wearing something. A badge with a number on it would be easer to carry/wear than an ID card.

Like I said... We'll all be "chipped" soon, then it won't be a problem.

Do you seriously think that all the money invested in the tech for chipping animals was for their wellbeing?

Probably not eh?

Yes, and if you wore a badge, you'd be less likely to lose it??? Perhaps we could have coloured badges for different sorts of people....Come on, give it up. It's a horrible idea. No one would put up with it, and nor should they.

I don't get why any citizen would, on the say so of Government, want to wear a number identifying them. Quite aside from the dreadful historical parallels it's an infringement of civil liberties, it assumes this or any future Government would be benign, not sell off or lose personal data, or that agents of the state, like the police, wouldn't abuse the system.

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 22:33 ----------

I think the very fact that so many people on here automatically think the same thing, (which is rare of Sheffield Forum), should give you a clue as to how others in the country would feel if the Government sought to implement your idea.

Your idea of many is obviously different to my idea of many, it doesn't surprise me that an hand full of loonies on an internet forum would make such a stupid link, normal people in the real world wouldn't see a link between the population carrying or wearing an ID card/number and the Nazi policy of tattooing prisoners. Our police officer wearing an ID number, do you think about Nazis when you see one?