Why are Sheffield's greatest not commemorated?

Good info. I lived in Sheffield for 25 years and was unaware of any of those plaques even though I must have walked close by many of them. Am spending a few days in Sheffield in August so I'll go find a few.

I agree with you 430Spider, Joe Cocker was one of the greats and known around the world as a Sheffield lad. I have much of his music, and he was one of the few people who could record a Beatles song (thru bathroom window) that equaled the original !

Agree that Sheffield "Greats" should be noted somewhere where the public & tourists can see them. Music & Sports ? Agree it would be a challenge trying to get plaques on private property. What do other English cities do ? I would like to see them all in one place if practical. City Hall, Town Hall, Peace Gardens ? Info. might be name, early address, photo and some background as to why they are there. Is this something the Sheffield City Council should take up ?

The cost should be small and, who knows, the city might get deluged with American "Joe Cocker fans" !

I agree with you 430Spider, Joe Cocker was one of the greats and known around the world as a Sheffield lad. I have much of his music, and he was one of the few people who could record a Beatles song (thru bathroom window) that equaled the original !

Don't forget With A Little Help From My Friends, which he totally made is own and many regard as the definitive version.

---------- Post added 20-02-2016 at 21:32 ----------

Harry Brearly is commemorated on the wall of the building he worked in on Princess street, and there is a pub/club somewhere in Walkley with a plaque for Def Leppard.

Aren't noteworthy Sheffielder's also commemorated in the pavement outside the town hall?

Edited by Hots on

Good info. I lived in Sheffield for 25 years and was unaware of any of those plaques even though I must have walked close by many of them. Am spending a few days in Sheffield in August so I'll go find a few.

I thought we had something like this outside the town hall somewhere?

Isn't there some stars or markings in the ground or something?

Interesting list of legends, some obvious there and a few I'd not heard of. I suppose it's just a matter of time before Joe Root is added to the list, and maybe even Jamie Vardy. Roger Taylor (twice US Open Doubles tennis winner) must be a possibility too?

Edited by sheff71

Can anyone suggest any?

I would put a plaque on John Lewis in Barkers Pool to commemorate Sir William Crookes delivering his lecture 'On Radiant Matter' in the Albert Hall that used to stand on the site. The lecture was given on 29th August 1879 and was seminal in the development of particle physics leading to the discovery of the X-ray. The 'Crookes Tubes' that he had invented and studied are more familiar as Cathode Ray Tubes without which we would have had no computer monitors or X-ray tubes.

He had also invented plasma technology and revealed it at this lecture.

More here on the significance of this forgotten event here:

https://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2009/arch09/090817radiant.htm

I would put a plaque on John Lewis in Barkers Pool to commemorate Sir William Crookes delivering his lecture 'On Radiant Matter' in the Albert Hall that used to stand on the site.

Well I didn't know that! (and I was a physicist). That seems a good subject for one of those information-packed bronze plaques that are dotted around sheffield.

But on the subject of where the plaques come from, there's a blue plaque for Sir Edward Appleton on the wall of Bradford College and IIRC that was put up by the Institute of Physics - so it's not just councils that are doing this.

Good idea - although I'd be pushed to think of a well known song he wrote.

Marjorine hit the charts in America.

Edited by samssong

Many times I have been stuck in a traffic jam outside Motram and seen a blue plaque. One time the jam was so bad I was able to get out of the car read it, it was for Bill Sowerbutts. If it had not been for the traffic jam I would be none the wiser.

I am still "none the wiser", without consulting GOOGLE or Wikipedia this individual's claim to fame has escaped me.

Angel1.

Can anyone suggest any?

I would put a plaque on John Lewis in Barkers Pool to commemorate Sir William Crookes delivering his lecture 'On Radiant Matter' in the Albert Hall that used to stand on the site. The lecture was given on 29th August 1879 and was seminal in the development of particle physics leading to the discovery of the X-ray. The 'Crookes Tubes' that he had invented and studied are more familiar as Cathode Ray Tubes without which we would have had no computer monitors or X-ray tubes.

He had also invented plasma technology and revealed it at this lecture.

More here on the significance of this forgotten event here:

https://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2009/arch09/090817radiant.htm

Excellent example there Nagel which illustrates my wider point - unless we commemorate our heritage, it will be lost forever. And no, I never knew about Crookes either.

Pulp first performed here 16 August 1980 at The Leadmill. And that has a plaque, hard to understand why?.

Angel1.