Why are Sheffield's greatest not commemorated?

Go to London and you'll see hundreds. Wolverhampton, would you believe it, has over 90. Even Gateshead has 29.

I am referring to blue plaques which adorn buildings where famous sons and daughters of the locality once lived. I'll stand corrected if wrong,but I am not aware of even one in Sheffield.

This came to mind after I drove past the house in Tasker Road, Crookes, where the late and very great Joe Cocker lived as a lad and indeed wrote some of his best-known songs.

Joe was a worldwide phenomenon and surely the greatest musical talent ever to come out of Sheffield. He was adored by millions. And yet this part of our heritage doesn't warrant anything to mark it.

I feel a campaign coming on. Anyone else in?

After all, it's amazing what you can do with a little help from your friends.

I think this is down to English Heritage, you might want to contact them about it.

Go to London and you'll see hundreds. Wolverhampton, would you believe it, has over 90. Even Gateshead has 29.

I am referring to blue plaques which adorn buildings where famous sons and daughters of the locality once lived. I'll stand corrected if wrong,but I am not aware of even one in Sheffield.

This came to mind after I drove past the house in Tasker Road, Crookes, where the late and very great Joe Cocker lived as a lad and indeed wrote some of his best-known songs.

Joe was a worldwide phenomenon and surely the greatest musical talent ever to come out of Sheffield. He was adored by millions. And yet this part of our heritage doesn't warrant anything to mark it.

Good idea - although I'd be pushed to think of a well known song he wrote.

:huh:

There are these everywhere if you know where to look (assuming we are talking about the same things).

Most of them are long since dead people though and EH had probably gone through potentially lengthy processes to get them there in the first place.

If I found out someone famous now was born in my house (and I had no knowledge of it when I bought it) I wouldn't particularly/necessarily want a blue plaque on my outside wall!

Many times I have been stuck in a traffic jam outside Motram and seen a blue plaque. One time the jam was so bad I was able to get out of the car read it, it was for Bill Sowerbutts. If it had not been for the traffic jam I would be none the wiser.

Edited by Blackbeard

Good idea - although I'd be pushed to think of a well known song he wrote.

He wrote a few lyrics but hardly even an LP's worth. And he certainly wasn't living in Crookes at the time.

Its annoying I agree. They tried to get John the Pram Man a star outside the town hall.

One of the criteria is he has to be internationally popular.

There's one on an ordinary house in a small village called Butt Lane just over the Cheshire border in Staffs. Reginald Mitchell, who designed the Spitfire was born there. We were driving past and stopped to take a look.

I like to see them, and wouldn't mind one on my house if it was someone genuinely interesting. I'd hate it though if it was for someone who attracted hordes of fans.

There are lots of them, aren't there? Maybe not listed online, but in the city there are numerous as far as I am aware. Then we have the 'stars' or Sheffield Legends in the pavement at the Town Hall as well.

Wasn't there one for Charles Peace?

I think you mean the Blue Plaque Scheme don't you? I agree they're very eye-catching and usually higher up on a building. Sheffield's plaques are much more modest and usually at eye-level (but they are there if you know where to look). There's a map of them here:

http://openplaques.org/places/gb/areas/sheffield/plaques