Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone

Absolute right to keep mobile phone encrypted? Apple v Govt  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Absolute right to keep mobile phone encrypted? Apple v Govt

• Apple are right and the mans phone should remain encrypted
    • Govt are right and in this case Apple should give them access.

Yeah... there was no disresepct there. Just because they lost someone to people who were of the same fanaticism as the phone owners doesnt make them automatically any more entitled than the average person to have an opinion

You are not going to win friends by that attitude. Dont like someone so you insult them? Sounds like some knight of the road feels entitled because he's found out how to drive a big truck and twiddle a steering wheel back and forth.

The people he was 'insulting' were the degenerate islamist rats who murdered Lee Rigby. Insulting them won't win him as a friend per se but any dog who defends the terrorist islamist scum can cross themselves off my chummy list.

Well done Apple. Lets hope they win the case.
The govt is playing dumb!!!!

THEY HAVE FULL ACCESS TO THESE SPY BOXS WHENEVER THEY WANT IT!!

I'm saying that I think it's unwise to side with dead terrorists against the TLAs investigating them. How the results of that decision manifest themselves are speculation.

That's not what you said at all.

You quite clearly said that the US agencies would blackmail or coerce apple employees into doing what they want anyway.

And now you're trying to recast the entire debate into one where Apple is apparently on the side of terrorists. :suspect:

Im truly staggered that over 45% of voters on this pole feel Apple are in the wrong.

I don't see why it can't be cracked without apple's help. In which case it's not clear why the US government are harassing apple unless they have another motive.

Open the phone, remove the storage chip, clone the contents into an image file, brute force the image file. Without the phone to enforce the 10 tries limit, all it takes is time.

I don't see why it can't be cracked without apple's help. In which case it's not clear why the US government are harassing apple unless they have another motive.

Open the phone, remove the storage chip, clone the contents into an image file, brute force the image file. Without the phone to enforce the 10 tries limit, all it takes is time.

The data on the chip is encrypted so copying it is of no help whatsoever and it's not possible to brute force that encryption

The data on the chip is encrypted so copying it is of no help whatsoever and it's not possible to brute force that encryption

It's possible to brute force any encryption. Are you saying that the encryption is so good that it would be impractical to crack?

It's possible to brute force any encryption. Are you saying that the encryption is so good that it would be impractical to crack?

ISTR that a brute force attack would take up to 5.5 years as the system slows down the time allowed between attempts with each attempt.

ISTR that a brute force attack would take up to 5.5 years as the system slows down the time allowed between attempts with each attempt.

How can it slow anything after you've made an image of the storage device onto your own system?

Any encrypted storage device can be cloned. Only thing is that your clone is still encrypted. But the clone is on your own hardware so you can throw as much cpu at the decryption as you can lay your hands on.

How can it slow anything after you've made an image of the storage device onto your own system?

Any encrypted storage device can be cloned. Only thing is that your clone is still encrypted. But the clone is on your own hardware so you can throw as much cpu at the decryption as you can lay your hands on.

I don't know, it is just what I read somewhere recently, but it will also depend where the data is that you're trying to look at. Some or all could be on Apple's servers.

Good luck to the NSA, so long as Apple don't assist them I think that's fine.

Assuming that the clone doesn't detect the change in hardware and just immediately self wipe...

Part of the request to apple is to create an electronic means of trying pins, such that a brute force attack could be run in seconds.

Assuming that the clone doesn't detect the change in hardware and just immediately self wipe...

Part of the request to apple is to create an electronic means of trying pins, such that a brute force attack could be run in seconds.

The clone never runs. It can't detect anything. It just sits there as a file on a hard drive helplessly whilst you crack it.