Apple rejects order to unlock gunman's phone

Absolute right to keep mobile phone encrypted? Apple v Govt  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Absolute right to keep mobile phone encrypted? Apple v Govt

• Apple are right and the mans phone should remain encrypted
    • Govt are right and in this case Apple should give them access.

From what I've understood it will require a new version of ios. Which they push onto the phone, after which they brute force the password.

They can then reset the pin to 0000, put the secure version of ios back, hand the phone to the FBI agent and delete the broken version of ios that they created.

Created might even be as simple as take ios3.0, increment the version number to 10.0 (so the phone is told it's newer than the current one) and job done. (Although I doubt it would be that easy).

From what I've understood it will require a new version of ios. Which they push onto the phone, after which they brute force the password.

They can then reset the pin to 0000, put the secure version of ios back, hand the phone to the FBI agent and delete the broken version of ios that they created.

Created might even be as simple as take ios3.0, increment the version number to 10.0 (so the phone is told it's newer than the current one) and job done. (Although I doubt it would be that easy).

But 'updating' the phone (unless it's OTA or an incremental none major version) will erase everything on the phone.... iOS3 (as you used it in your example) is so different behind the scenes that it isn't compatible with 5C hardware, and won't work....

Hence why I said I doubt it will be quite that easy.

If the FBI can convince a court to issue a warrant. Just like they have to do for any other search...

If the FBI can convince a court to issue a warrant. Just like they have to do for any other search...

It's well beyond the thin end of the wedge, we're only seeing what they request in public courts, not the secret FISA courts which are to all day to day intents and purposes answerable to nobody.

This is a very, very bad thing.

The government already has "the right", what it doesn't have is "the means".

Had a little chuckle this morning when I saw this on bookface

It's well beyond the thin end of the wedge, we're only seeing what they request in public courts, not the secret FISA courts which are to all day to day intents and purposes answerable to nobody.

This is a very, very bad thing.

Secret courts are indeed a bad thing, I totally agree.

They don't need to develop the technology for brute force attacks because there really are 14 year old school boys with the technology. Beside, with a 4 digit pin, you could crack it manually within a couple of days.

I concur :thumbsup:

I concur :thumbsup:

He's still wrong, even if you concur...

Secret courts are indeed a bad thing, I totally agree.

Then there are the very very very bad things that they do without even referring to a FISA court, and we only know because Snowden for lifted the lid by stealing the secrets that they had been stealing from us.

They don't need to develop the technology for brute force attacks because there really are 14 year old school boys with the technology. Beside, with a 4 digit pin, you could crack it manually within a couple of days.

Don't you only get a few attempts with an i-telephone before it locks out?