New Head of Steam for Sheffield (The Old Monk)

Brewdog only do Keg. I love ❤ The Old Monk, but it should be interesting as a Head of Steam.

Why do you love the Old Monk?

For the size of the place it's a total waste of space. I've only occasionally set foot it in it to try to watch the odd football match. The beer has been dreadful, expensive and only available from a small area of the bar about a metre long with just one or two bar staff serving. It's like a Wetherspoon without any of the plus points of a 'spoon pub.

Bring on the new place. The Leeds one is OK. The Hudds one seemed a bit CAMRA-beardy last time I went a few years ago.

Why do you love the Old Monk?

For the size of the place it's a total waste of space. I've only occasionally set foot it in it to try to watch the odd football match. The beer has been dreadful, expensive and only available from a small area of the bar about a metre long with just one or two bar staff serving. It's like a Wetherspoon without any of the plus points of a 'spoon pub.

Bring on the new place. The Leeds one is OK. The Hudds one seemed a bit CAMRA-beardy last time I went a few years ago.

Spot on about the Old Monk. My sentiments exactly.

I think you'll find that CAMRA has now moved on from that stereotype, however beards are back in fashion.

I think this is what Sheffield needs and will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people. It will serve a good range or cask, keg and bottles so will keep the craft beer crew happy as well as the CAMRA crew at the same time. The prices are better than Brewdog and it is in a good location with a decent amount of space as well as doing food. It hopefully will take elements from other good venues and roll it into one. Brewdog has a good range but is expensive and doesn't do keg, the Shakey offers good beer at a good price but doesn't do food and isn't central.

Does The Beer Engine fit your requirements? (Yes, my mate runs it before anyone mentions I plug it a lot).

Does The Beer Engine fit your requirements? (Yes, my mate runs it before anyone mentions I plug it a lot).

I absolutely love The Beer Engine the food is amazing and great value the menu changing each week is genius. The beer selection is good as well and it has a great atmosphere. I just think that HOS will be more central and may have a slightly bigger beer selection but The Beer Engine is still outstanding

I absolutely love The Beer Engine the food is amazing and great value the menu changing each week is genius. The beer selection is good as well and it has a great atmosphere. I just think that HOS will be more central and may have a slightly bigger beer selection but The Beer Engine is still outstanding

The Beer Engine is a great addition to Sheffield imo, clever location too. Seems to be doing well thankfully. Very attentive to customers, nice inside and a decent mix of folk too.

Keep walking past this place on my way to work in a morning. Been totally gutted. And let's face it, it needed to be. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

And in other news, is Sheffield's beer scene finally moving again. Anyone heard much about this place...?

https://www.facebook.com/Studio54Sheffield

Keep walking past this place on my way to work in a morning. Been totally gutted. And let's face it, it needed to be. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

And in other news, is Sheffield's beer scene finally moving again. Anyone heard much about this place...?

https://www.facebook.com/Studio54Sheffield

Its the white box building opposite Reflex that has been through about a million incarnations over the last few years, reasonable size bar on two floors.

Hopefully the latest venture, West Street Alehouse, will be more successful.

Its the white box building opposite Reflex that has been through about a million incarnations over the last few years, reasonable size bar on two floors.

Hopefully the latest venture, West Street Alehouse, will be more successful.

I've heard quotes of 6 cask and 6 keg, so not the biggest range for an Ale House, but as long as it's not the same ol stuff that is peddled through just about every local Greene King Partners pub then it will be a welcome addition I'm sure.

Back to Head of Steam- a good location? Fits for anyone walking up from Station / Tap & Ruttie towards good pubs in Div street vicinity - ?

Back to Head of Steam- a good location? Fits for anyone walking up from Station / Tap & Ruttie towards good pubs in Div street vicinity - ?

Works for me. If it's anything like the Leeds branch it should be good. And if the rumoured keg line increase at the Dev Cat is anything to go by this will make the two pretty much compete head to head with each other, which can only be a good thing.

Head of Steam opens 14th April

Head of Steam opens 14th April

Wow. They better get a crack on then!