New Head of Steam for Sheffield (The Old Monk)

http://www.cameronsbrewery.com/new-head-of-steam-for-sheffield/

We are delighted to announce our 8th branded Head of Steam venue will be coming to Sheffield. We will be converting the Old Monk venue, located in the city centre on Norfolk Street close to the Crucible & Lyceum Theatres, in early April.

The Old Monk was added to our growing retail estate in early December and we have been running the venue in its current guise since then.

The venue will include a new island bar in the centre of the main trading area and will have 16 keg lines and 8 cask ale hand pulls. A selection of rotating craft beers from UK and world brewers will feature along with a range of Camerons and local breweries cask ales. In addition a selection of premium wines, spirits and cocktails will also feature.

Work begins at the site from the 17th February 2016.

Can only be an improvement The old monk was like a poor attempt at a weatherspoons.

This should be good Head of Steam run a number of quality venues in the North East including live music, decent ale and so on.

Edited by smiggs

Can only be an improvement The old monk was like a poor attempt at a weatherspoons.

I've been in the Leeds Head of Steam. It's a decent pub. Fairly typical of the pubs you get near to Leeds train station. The main downside the Leeds one has is that it's across the road from Bundobust, which is the best venue in Leeds that I've been to. If the Sheffield one is on Norfolk Street then it won't have the same sort of competition that the Leeds one does.

The press release announcing it:

New Head of Steam for Sheffield!

Camerons Brewery are delighted to announce their 8th branded Head of Steam venue will be coming to Sheffield in spring 2016. The brewery will be converting the Old Monk venue (located in the city centre on Norfolk Street close to the Crucible & Lyceum theatres), in early April. The brewery acquired the Old Monk earlier in December and has been running the venue it its current guise since then.

Chris Soley, Director & General Manager at Camerons said “When we saw the opportunity of adding the Old Monk to our estate it was always our intention to turn this venue into one of premium Head of Steam cask and craft outlets”.

“The prime city centre location - so close to the Crucible Theatre - was a key reason why we took over the Old Monk, and we believe that it will develop into one of our flagship pubs”, Chris added.

The venue will include a new island bar in the centre of the main trading area, with 16 keg lines and 8 cask hand pulls. A selection of craft beers from UK and world brewers will feature, along with a rotating selection of cask ales from Camerons and local breweries. A great range of premium wines, spirits and cocktails will also feature.

The brewery has continued its relationship with Longhorns BBQ Smokehouse and they will be running the kitchen, as part of the ‘Kitchen by Longhorns’ partnership.

Work begins at the site from the 17th February 2016.

The news follows the recent acquisition of a new site in Headingley which will also be opening in early April as a Head of Steam venue.

The brewery has continued its relationship with Longhorns BBQ Smokehouse and they will be running the kitchen, as part of the ‘Kitchen by Longhorns’ partnership.

Question is will there be any restaurants left in Sheffield that aren't themed as American BBQ?

Got to be an improvement!

Never knew the Huddersfield HOS was part of a chain which is a compliment. Was in there last Friday and impressed by their selection of local ales which were not the usual suspects.

Got to be an improvement!

Never knew the Huddersfield HOS was part of a chain which is a compliment. Was in there last Friday and impressed by their selection of local ales which were not the usual suspects.

I went in the Hudds one last year and it hadn`t changed since I used to live there 10+ years ago. It`ll be interesting and gotta be better then Monk.

I went in the Hudds one last year and it hadn`t changed since I used to live there 10+ years ago. It`ll be interesting and gotta be better then Monk.

This will be a definite improvement. Having lived in the North East for several years I am very familiar with this 'chain' and Camerons do give the landlord / manager a lot of freedom when it comes to beer offerings (which is why the Leeds branch is so different to Huddersfield, for example, in that it has some Belgian classics on tap and an entire bank of US kegs. Will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Has to be better than the Old Monk. Hope they sort the toilets out as well.

I think this is what Sheffield needs and will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people. It will serve a good range or cask, keg and bottles so will keep the craft beer crew happy as well as the CAMRA crew at the same time. The prices are better than Brewdog and it is in a good location with a decent amount of space as well as doing food. It hopefully will take elements from other good venues and roll it into one. Brewdog has a good range but is expensive and doesn't do keg, the Shakey offers good beer at a good price but doesn't do food and isn't central.

I think this is what Sheffield needs and will tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people. It will serve a good range or cask, keg and bottles so will keep the craft beer crew happy as well as the CAMRA crew at the same time. The prices are better than Brewdog and it is in a good location with a decent amount of space as well as doing food. It hopefully will take elements from other good venues and roll it into one. Brewdog has a good range but is expensive and doesn't do keg, the Shakey offers good beer at a good price but doesn't do food and isn't central.

Brewdog only do Keg. I love ❤ The Old Monk, but it should be interesting as a Head of Steam.