Matlock Bath protest ride

I'm sure car drivers do too. No one has yet explained why bikers should get preferential treatment.

It's an environmental thing, for example Sheffield city council allow bikes to park for free.

Crackers. The bikers bring some much needed revenue to the area all year round. They are a great thing to see, and really part of the fixtures of Matlock. I'm sure there will be a few locals who don't like them, and its all well and good for me to say how great they are, because I don't live there, but the pubs and shops rely on visitors to the area, and if groups are pushed out due to the councils greed or the residents complaints, then the locals will have something real to moan about if businesses can't afford to survive.

So, just to clarify, bikers who might use their machines a dozen times a year and spend a fortune on insurance and equipment won't pay a few quid to park (and continue to dominate Matlock bath on a sunny weekend).

Hmmmmm.

I always thought it was the bikes that created the attraction … certainly the only reason I go there.

Whilst Matlock Bath could be mistaken for having a sleepy seaside town appearance during the week (boring), you could also be mistaken for thinking you were in Sturgis come the weekends (not boring whatsoever).

The bikers must bring in more trade than anyone else by miles. Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. Has Julie Dore moved there? :huh:

If the "free" parking were to end, I would take my brass elsewhere to spend.

Angel1.

If the "free" parking were to end, I would take my brass elsewhere to spend.

Angel1.

And do what? Stop at home or drive further afield?

If I really wanted to go to Matlock bath I'd go - I used to go a lot. Price of parking wouldn't worry me, it parking availability that got on my nerves.

So, just to clarify, bikers who might use their machines a dozen times a year and spend a fortune on insurance and equipment won't pay a few quid to park (and continue to dominate Matlock bath on a sunny weekend).

Hmmmmm.

Ha, that is amusing. A few times a year????? Mmmmmmmm, don't think so!!!

A bike is for life, not just for summer!!!!

Ha, that is amusing. A few times a year????? Mmmmmmmm, don't think so!!!

A bike is for life, not just for summer!!!!

I know in my heart your statement is a load of old rhubarb. I can find literally thousands of adverts of bikes only used in the summer, summer only insurance policies, accident spikes in the summer months, anecdotal evidence from bikers I know, but no concrete figure on motorbike use over a year.

Hi Solution, I'm a biker, sports bike and tourers.

This issue goes back a few years and centres around the fact that bikes are there in the summer but not in the winter. This means that November to March there is next to no income for the shops in that period. Hence they have to maximize the income from March to November and also try to attract other clientele. Matlock Bath has become very run down to lack of investment. The changes taking place should be supported by Sheffield bikers with a view to the long term.

Let me get this straight. 2000 bikers are going to spend fifty quid apiece to protest at a 50p parking charge.

There's nowt as strange as people.

Hi Solution, I'm a biker, sports bike and tourers.

This issue goes back a few years and centres around the fact that bikes are there in the summer but not in the winter. This means that November to March there is next to no income for the shops in that period. Hence they have to maximize the income from March to November and also try to attract other clientele. Matlock Bath has become very run down to lack of investment. The changes taking place should be supported by Sheffield bikers with a view to the long term.

Hi treeman. I too am the Proud owner of a Bonneville, which I haven't rode since my hip operation last year. My sons and grandson are all bikers, and as you will know the meets happen ad hoc throughout the year, ice permitting. Much to their mams disapproval, they wander off whenever they get a decent weekend.

The way they are trying to implement the charges is by the hour, and not a fixed fee. That is what has ruffled the feathers, not the charge itself.

Stay safe. Bill.

Let me get this straight. 2000 bikers are going to spend fifty quid apiece to protest at a 50p parking charge.

There's nowt as strange as people.

where do you get the fifty quid bit from? there will be substantially more than 2000 bikes there by the way