Attractions in Peak district

Hi

It's my first time to visit the Peak District National Park and I would like to know best places to visit there. I actually like hearing from people rather than visiting their website and read what is in there.

Can you please tell me, based on what you like there, where to go and visit?

Thanks

What are you actually looking to do?

Are you looking for a walk in the countryside, explore a town/village, or visit an attraction such as Chatsworth House or Castleton's caves?

Stanedge Pole is always a nice place to visit. :suspect:

I guess the obvious ones are Castleton, Bakewell, Hathersage, Buxton, Tideswell, Eyam, Matlock or Matlock Bath.

If you are looking at options using public transport from Sheffield you may find this PDF timetable/guide useful http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179873335

I guess the obvious ones are Castleton, Bakewell, Hathersage, Buxton, Tideswell, Eyam, Matlock or Matlock Bath.

If you are looking at options using public transport from Sheffield you may find this PDF timetable/guide useful http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=17179873335

That's a good list to start with Andy C.

Personally I think Castleton is one of the most beautiful places around here. The downside of course is that it is touristy! (myself being one of them, so can't really complain! :hihi:)

For a walk, I think Monsal Head is also well worth a trip. The views are spectacular as is the bridge.

In addition I would add all the old railway lines, which are nice [easy] walks, or for relaxed/family cycling.

I'm not a massive fan of Bakewell, but lots of surrounding places and walks are also nice. Matlock Bath is a great 'local trip to the seaside' which it strangely seems like :)

Edited by *_ash_*

Castleton, I would avoid...

Monsal Head is a nice place to visit, very nice walk along the Monsal Trail, about 8.3 miles from Bakewell to the end of the trail (nr Buxton).

Also, would highly recommend a walk around the reservoirs from Fairholmes, off the A57. Breathtakingly beautiful scenery, on a crisp winters morning, with fog over the water reflecting the gorgeous hillsides in it's still mirror like surface. Just the ticket!

Castleton … lots of shops that sell tat made from rocks. Caves that're dark and boring (and cold).

Buxton … once grand, not now. Tat shops.

Bakewell … cake shop and shops that sell tat.

Hathersage … erm, a cutlery shop and three (yes, three) outdoor shops. An outdoor swimming pool that's never open.

Matlock … yawn.

Matlock Bath … great if you like motorbikes, or if you want to pay £17.50 to go in a cable car to a shop on top of a hill that sells tat.

Eyam … interesting, yet touristy.

Tideswell … very lovely, with a great phone box. Don't think the locals're that bothered about tourists though. Leave them be.

Chestnut centre

Blue John Caves

New Mills

Lady Bower reservoir

Explore the Dark Peak walks

Explore the White Peak walks

Castleton … lots of shops that sell tat made from rocks. Caves that're dark and boring (and cold).

Buxton … once grand, not now. Tat shops.

Bakewell … cake shop and shops that sell tat.

Hathersage … erm, a cutlery shop and three (yes, three) outdoor shops. An outdoor swimming pool that's never open.

Matlock … yawn.

Matlock Bath … great if you like motorbikes, or if you want to pay £17.50 to go in a cable car to a shop on top of a hill that sells tat.

Eyam … interesting, yet touristy.

Tideswell … very lovely, with a great phone box. Don't think the locals're that bothered about tourists though. Leave them be.

I only said it was a good list 'to start with' :D Seeing the tat first is better I think. At least this way, everything gets better, rather than seeing the best places then discovering that everywhere is being replaced by tat!

I'm hoping for lots more responses that I might take up some day. I've done the places so far...

but just in defence of Castleton, I WOULD avoid going on a weekend/bank hol/school hols/ and other significant events... I once dropped an elderly customer off there some years back, I took her case to the door and couldn't help notice how good the view was. It was just a quiet day. No driving around like a mad man and fighting for an expensive car parking space. So I just locked the taxi and had a wander around and it was empty, quiet and seemingly closed. You don't see that at tourist times, and it really is nice. The buildings, brickwork, the layout, and the view (and not thinking about parking tickets :hihi: )

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 23:28 ----------

... like I said, the seaside!

I only said it was a good list 'to start with' :D Seeing the tat first is better I think. At least this way, everything gets better, rather than seeing the best places then discovering that everywhere is being replaced by tat!

I'm hoping for lots more responses that I might take up some day. I've done the places so far...

but just in defence of Castleton, I WOULD avoid going on a weekend/bank hol/school hols/ and other significant events... I once dropped an elderly customer off there some years back, I took her case to the door and couldn't help notice how good the view was. It was just a quiet day. No driving around like a mad man and fighting for an expensive car parking space. So I just locked the taxi and had a wander around and it was empty, quiet and seemingly closed. You don't see that at tourist times, and it really is nice. The buildings, brickwork, the layout, and the view (and not thinking about parking tickets :hihi: )

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 23:28 ----------

... like I said, the seaside!

To be honest, I'd prefer to keep quiet about all the nice places (and there are a lot), 'cos then you don't get all the tourists.

So, here's my list of places to visit:

Castleton, Bakewell, Grindleford (:P), Matlock, Padley Gorge, Bradwell (including the cement works), Hope, Baslow, Bamford.

Excitingly, people with pickaxes have recently chavelled their way to a new (previously undamaged) seam of 'blue' coloured rock in Castleton, so 'blue' tat will now be in production for another hundred years. I don't know why they call it 'Blue John' when it's obviously purple. :D

To be honest, I'd prefer to keep quiet about all the nice places (and there are a lot), 'cos then you don't get all the tourists.

So, here's my list of places to visit:

Castleton, Bakewell, Grindleford (:P), Matlock, Padley Gorge, Bradwell (including the cement works), Hope, Baslow, Bamford.

Excitingly, people with pickaxes have recently chavelled their way to a new (previously undamaged) seam of 'blue' coloured rock in Castleton, so 'blue' tat will now be in production for another hundred years. I don't know why they call it 'Blue John' when it's obviously purple. :D

:thumbsup:

:hihi: