Why isn't car sharing being encouraged in Sheffield?

There's a HOV lane on the Stanningley bypass in Leeds. That is a 2+ lane, which is aimed at car sharing.

Fair enough, I've never been to the outskirts in that direction.

That + one lane coming out of Bradford has gone they have painted the signs out..bit of a failure there.

Shogun , I live in Bradford & yes for some reason they have painted out the sign but the + 1 lane still exists , people use it all the time . Saw loads the other day while driving to Sheffield

I recently visited Germany where my friend informed me that the numerous "laybys" full of cars were car share areas. People arrange to meet their friends or strangers and share, free of charge. Not sure we have anything similar in this country and their roads seemed much quieter than ours, even in rush hour in a major city.

This is the kind of thing a smartphone social media app could handle.

You install the app on your phone. It tracks your commutes. After time, it will suggest other users who have a similar route and time of travel to you. You can then see their profile, and if you both select, you can get in touch with the other person and coordinate lifts.

The only issues I can see, are privacy and how to monetise such an app.

In app advertising. Or better matches if you pay.

But... Smartphone tracking your commute only works with reasonable accuracy if you turn on GPS. Otherwise it's a broad start/finish area... Might still be accurate enough for the free version though, paid for version could let you enter a postcode.

Yep. I'm thinking the main advantage would be ease of use. Just install the app, and it does all the work for you; working out your route, matching you with other users, viewing their profiles, messaging them, etc. Probably much easier than using a website, and a lot of people have smartphones these days...

The inaccuracy of location services without GPS turned on can be up to a km though... Maybe more in rural areas.

Can't see how "Sheffield" can encourage car-sharing, this needs to be employer (or individual) -led surely?

Anyway.

You can always sign up to this if you feel the need.

https://liftshare.com/uk

Dual occupancy lanes on roads is a trivial example of how a city can encourage it.

Dual occupancy lanes on roads is a trivial example of how a city can encourage it.

OK.

That's a fair cop, I'll hold my hand up to that one.

(But difficult to see where they could be appropriate for Sheffield, unless 'bus lanes are extended to include "multiple occupancy vehicles")

That's a good idea actually. Very cheap to implement, difficult to enforce though.

That's a good idea actually. Very cheap to implement, difficult to enforce though.

:shakes:

No it's not a good idea...

... unless you want to cause even more chaos at every bus stop with multi-occupancy vehicles trying to cut back into the single occupancy lane! :roll: