Why isn't car sharing being encouraged in Sheffield?

Rubbish

to you

Presumably YOU don't drive to work. I doubt you'd be making this proposal if it were likely to impact you.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 15:21 ----------

Nobody would be forced? realllllllllllllllly? Why do you think people drive alone? some may not have an alternative. Is there an age limit so my father who is widowed but comes into town for shopping will have to pay a charge but of course that's his "choice" and "entirely voluntary", is it really? what s his alternative?

So when you picking me up for work? put your money where your mouth is and share your car with me.

He can go to Meadowhall, like so many other people.

And then the council can stand in the empty city centre, wringing their hands and wondering why nobody comes there and the shops have all closed.

Presumably YOU don't drive to work. I doubt you'd be making this proposal if it were likely to impact you.

Presumably he doesn't drive or work.

People who have time for such stupid ideas have to have a lot of spare time.

There's extra stress on the driver as he/she worries about overlaying or being ill with unknown amount of time off so you have to phone/text several people possibly just prior to their normal pick-up time. Also you can't deviate from your usual route, ie calling on a relative or shopping.

So tell me why are there so many single occupancy cars on our roads?

Especially in rush hour

Because people don't think/believe enough about global warming/the environment to make them want to share their cars with strangers.

The solution is properly implanted mass transit. Until the buses run on time or at least within 10 minutes of being on time (baby steps!) then people won't use buses.

Car insurance may be a problem, I cannot imagine your insurance been very happy when you have a bump and a couple of your work mates in the car claim compo from them. You are acting as a taxi of some description, but without taxi insurance. Even if the passengers do not pay for the ride, still seems a bit iffy to me.

Angel1.

Car insurance may be a problem, I cannot imagine your insurance been very happy when you have a bump and a couple of your work mates in the car claim compo from them. You are acting as a taxi of some description, but without taxi insurance. Even if the passengers do not pay for the ride, still seems a bit iffy to me.

Angel1.

Are you high?

Angel1.

In all honesty you are nit picking, So you never done the dry run on nights out or you never been nominated as the driver? to get ya pi%%ed up mates home.You in my eyes are a pleb.

Because people don't think/believe enough about global warming/the environment to make them want to share their cars with strangers.

The solution is properly implanted mass transit. Until the buses run on time or at least within 10 minutes of being on time (baby steps!) then people won't use buses.

I wouldn't care if buses run 99.9% on time with a frequency of every 2 minutes.

I paid a hell of a lot of money to learn to drive and pass my driving test. I pay even more to own my car and insure it. I pay annual vehicle tax.

I expect to be able to drive on the road I have contributed to when I want and with who I want. Why should I be enforced to pay congestion charges or be fined for not carrying others passengers.

If the council want me to be a substitute bus driver they can damn well pay me to be one.

SCC may want to be but we are not London. We don't have multi-hour long tailbacks and our city streets are not bumper to bumper with solid traffic. With exception of a handful of bad incidents, the majority of time traffic runs smoothly outside of rush hours. Even within peak rush hours, most queues are modest at worst and easily cleared within 15-20 minutes. I don't know many people at all who live within a radius of 10 miles who struggle to get in the city under an hour.

All this essential measures to cut traffic and congestion is a load of guff. As for the environmental impact nonsense. They want us to worry about our "emissions" and "damage" when the developing nations and even the USA are spewing out 100x the levels. Whatever!

Come back and hassle me when you get the rest of the world setting an example.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Nobody would be forced, but encouraged.

Those who shared cars would use the roads for free

Those choosing to drive alone would be agreeing to pay a congestion charge

So nobody would be forced and it would be entirely voluntary

Leeds tried (still do? Don't? It's been ages since I've been to Leeds) a car share lane.

No car share lanes on any roads or motorways in Leeds that I'm aware of.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 22:10 ----------

Angel1.

So you think that car insurance would be a problem whenever you carry passengers? :roll:

No car share lanes on any roads or motorways in Leeds that I'm aware of.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 22:10 ----------

So you think that car insurance would be a problem whenever you carry passengers? :roll:

There's a HOV lane on the Stanningley bypass in Leeds. That is a 2+ lane, which is aimed at car sharing.