Sliding door, stuck locked.

I am trying to unlock a sliding door for a friend/landlord, we have keys which we think are the right ones.

From the inside the key does not go all the way in, but from the outside, it seem to fit perfectly. But it will not unlock.

Would something stuck in the barrel lock, stop it opening from the other side?

There are 2 screws on the inside, but I fear that taking them out will not help, if it cannot be unlocked.

The landlord is a Scot, and lock smiths are expensive ;)

My guess is they are the wrong keys . Ask your friend/landlord if he has any other keys .

My guess is they are the wrong keys . Ask your friend/landlord if he has any other keys .

He gave me a bag of about 15 keys, for the whole house, only 1 unlocks a door, these two fit the sliding door.

He gave me a bag of about 15 keys, for the whole house, only 1 unlocks a door, these two fit the sliding door.

It's more likely to be the wrong keys rather than an object stuck in the barrel . He may have another property with similar sliding doors fitted and got the keys mixed up .

He will just have to pay for a locksmith to sort out the problem if he can't find the correct keys .

ah yes we had this issue with a gate ... it worked perfectly and then someone got a key cut that was too short - from them on the lock was a nightmare - would work from one side, not the other, keys that worked would then stop working.

Have you tried taping it as you slide the key into the barrel to reset it ?

Have you tried taping it as you slide the key into the barrel to reset it ?

I hope to have another look at it tomorrow.

How would a burglar open a sliding door, without breaking the glass, hopefully ;)

How would a burglar open a sliding door, without breaking the glass, hopefully ;)

Any news El Cid ? :roll:

Any news El Cid ? :roll:

I gave it a squirt of WD40, and tried lifting the door, but no joy. I may try more force tomorrow. The name on the lock is John Carr, not sure if its just one lock, those UPVC doors have multiple locks.

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 18:17 ----------

He has a tenant lined up for some time in March, so no rush.

I gave it a squirt of WD40, and tried lifting the door, but no joy. I may try more force tomorrow. The name on the lock is John Carr, not sure if its just one lock, those UPVC doors have multiple locks.

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 18:17 ----------

He has a tenant lined up for some time in March, so no rush.

I have had problems with John Carr window locks in the past . John Carr have been taken over by Jeld Wen . See link below , it may be worth giving them a ring and explaining the problem .

http://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/contact/contact-us/

Most probley just prise it open or snap lock

A friend said burglars can can into all houses real easy, just snap the euro lock. I tried that, and it doesnt seem so easy.

I managed to snap one half, then the other half was still in the door. I drilled it out, and got the other side of the lock out, but there seems to be a piece left in.

Not as easy as on youtube ;)

I will try to wiggle an allen key now, see if I can progress, I wouldn't make a good burglar ;)

This is why I have a set of lockpicks... :-)

It's probably one of the tamperproof cylinders and it will have left a piece behind that drops down and wedges the lock into the mortice. IS the door drillable or is that going to be more damage than is wanted?