Sheffield council - overcharging leaseholders?

no what i said was in reply to another posters question yet again you seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick, oh and ill say it again all leaseholders are invited to the forums.

I wasn't invited,end of story!You didn't answer my question,have you received a forecast bill for £2,485 for guttering?The bottom line is this thread is for people who are going to be charged an exorbitant amount of money for guttering,and are not too happy about it.What's your excuse?

mark you might be missing the obvious here and that's phoning up Jeffery at his place of work (thou for some reason he seems not to be very forthcoming on here unless he gets a fee:hihi:) but as I say im keeping a watch here because I don't want my relative making the same mistake when they buy

mark you might be missing the obvious here and that's phoning up Jeffery at his place of work (thou for some reason he seems not to be very forthcoming on here unless he gets a fee:hihi:) but as I say im keeping a watch here because I don't want my relative making the same mistake when they buy

Hi,I did e-mail and phone Jeffrey and,after careful consideration have decided not to proceed down the legal route as the prices quoted could quickly spiral out of control and,if you lost you'd be up the proverbial creek without the paddle.I would tell your relative to think long and hard about buying from the council,we never expected bills like that.I'm retired now,and my wife is a post cancer patient,so she can only work part-time,but when I was working I paid my Father's bills too,another leasehold,as he was up the creek when my Mother died.So believe me I know how the Sheffield City Council can shaft you!

i did post a reply with some information on why its not a bad thing to buy a leasehold property and that if youre relative was to buy then they would be made aware of what they would be getting into but it seems to have been deleted which is a pity./

i will say yet again SCC do not 'shaft you' they make it very clear what being a leaseholder entails

Hi,I did e-mail and phone Jeffrey and,after careful consideration have decided not to proceed down the legal route as the prices quoted could quickly spiral out of control and,if you lost you'd be up the proverbial creek without the paddle.I would tell your relative to think long and hard about buying from the council,we never expected bills like that.I'm retired now,and my wife is a post cancer patient,so she can only work part-time,but when I was working I paid my Father's bills too,another leasehold,as he was up the creek when my Mother died.So believe me I know how the Sheffield City Council can shaft you!

Sheffield City Council don't give you 5yrs notice,that is nonsense.The thing is about this roofline work we were given notice in 2013 and the quote for our block was £5,560.04,which divided by 6 comes to roughly £926,which 2yrs later becomes £2,485 pr flat.I'll give you another example of LMT at work,a few years ago the Council fitted secure door systems,the original quote for that was around £500,we ended up paying £800+.They came to paint the communal hallway,at short notice,myself and my neighbour paid £300+ for that which multiplied by 6 makes £1800+,I don't think so.Once a year they send cleaners to clean the communal hallway,they charge myself and my neighbour,£25 each for that.The cleaners are barely here for an hour,so the two leaseholders pay,their wages,cleaning materials and then some.Plus the cleaning is shoddy,my wife does it more often and better than them.Overcharging is the norm with LMT,after all the leaseholders pay for their department

Statutory RTM does not apply against Local Authority freehold reversioners.

But the Council and leaseholders could negotiate a non-statutory equivalent.

how do they go about this/and what does it mean being non-statutory?

how do they go about this/and what does it mean being non-statutory?

Non-statutory means it's not the law,or not laid down in law.

---------- Post added 07-04-2016 at 11:46 ----------

Non-statutory means it's not the law,or not laid down in law.

I've just received our annual service charges bill,ok they are part and parcel of the leasehold,but get this £25 again for cleaning,two guys came to do the cleaning,they'd got a radio on,irrespective of the fact that we had seriously ill people in the block and one of them was on a mobile phone for 25 minutes,no exaggeration.Last but not least,out of a service charge bill of £141.14,£60.50 Management Fee,what do they manage?£12.83 Administration Fee,so more than half the costs are for LMT and £25 for some shoddy cleaning.

i did post a reply with some information on why its not a bad thing to buy a leasehold property and that if youre relative was to buy then they would be made aware of what they would be getting into but it seems to have been deleted which is a pity./

i will say yet again SCC do not 'shaft you' they make it very clear what being a leaseholder entails

And, I hope, OP's solicitor also explained the scope of the lease covenants undertaken by OP.

Sheffield City Council don't give you 5yrs notice,that is nonsense.The thing is about this roofline work we were given notice in 2013 and the quote for our block was £5,560.04,which divided by 6 comes to roughly £926,which 2yrs later becomes £2,485 pr flat.I'll give you another example of LMT at work,a few years ago the Council fitted secure door systems,the original quote for that was around £500,we ended up paying £800+.They came to paint the communal hallway,at short notice,myself and my neighbour paid £300+ for that which multiplied by 6 makes £1800+,I don't think so.Once a year they send cleaners to clean the communal hallway,they charge myself and my neighbour,£25 each for that.The cleaners are barely here for an hour,so the two leaseholders pay,their wages,cleaning materials and then some.Plus the cleaning is shoddy,my wife does it more often and better than them.Overcharging is the norm with LMT,after all the leaseholders pay for their department

yet again youve failed to fully understand what was written ( before it mysteriously disappeared) i said that the solicitor & Buyer would be informed of any major improvment works to be done within the forthcoming years (5 years was a figure i was told but this may not be correct) so the buyer is aware what may come but the buyer should always be aware that any works after that date could occur.

Hi all,   i have just received my " service charge " for major work carried out my block of maisonettes ,     we have had a new roof skin covering , soffits   etc,     £5300.   regardless of if i wanted a new roof, or could afford it

The thing is, i am just unlucky that i live on the wrong block,  as this type of work suddenly stopped,   so half of estate  got a new roof and bill, whilst the other half do not get a new roof or huge bill.

My neighbour has just reported a leak on the new roof, less than 2 years old,  plus no one ever turned up to fasten up hanging aerial leads or cables moved by roofers.

I am sure this work does not add a penny to my flats valuation,  but gives me a feeling that i can be used as a cash cow, along with other leaseholders ,   forced to spend money on work without an option .

Andrew.

Not impressed

Maybe you and other affected leaseholders need to team-up and engage a Chartered Surveyor to negotiate with SCC.

Nowt to say

Edited by Minimo