Sheffield council - overcharging leaseholders?

thats the price you pay for having bought your flat at a vastly reduced rate, you are paying towards work to keep the block in good condition as the rent payers have been doing every week, its pretty clear when you buy the flat.

Listen you,I was a rent payer for years and the price I paid for my flat was the equivalent of years and years,of rent.l also pay my Council tax in full on time,so don't come the holier-than-thou attitude with me.!

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 09:58 ----------

thats the price you pay for having bought your flat at a vastly reduced rate, you are paying towards work to keep the block in good condition as the rent payers have been doing every week, its pretty clear when you buy the flat.

You are obviously not a placeholder,so why don't you keep your observations to yourself.

What if they didn't buy it off the council and have bought it privately off someone who bought it at the vastly reduced rate? :rolleyes:

thats the risk of buying a leashold property but any large investment projects would have been higlighted by the solicitor prior to purchase

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 11:32 ----------

Listen you,I was a rent payer for years and the price I paid for my flat was the equivalent of years and years,of rent.l also pay my Council tax in full on time,so don't come the holier-than-thou attitude with me.!

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 09:58 ----------

You are obviously not a placeholder,so why don't you keep your observations to yourself.

well because its a public forum i can observe and give an opinion on anything just because i disagree with you doesnt make my point less valid...however i am a leaseholder its just that i went into it with my eyes open knowing that in the future i would be required to pay towards the upkeep of the block with that in my mind when i bought my property i allowed for this.

the fact you were a rent payer for years only means you benefitted from a vast discount on purchasing the property not that you were paying upfront for future repairs, also the fact you pay full council tax is irrelavent.

all the work required was given to leaseholders through the leaseholder forums and also via letter so to imply this has been forced on you is wrong.

Edited by Narden Dee

thats the risk of buying a leashold property but any large investment projects would have been higlighted by the solicitor prior to purchase

---------- Post added 26-03-2016 at 11:32 ----------

well because its a public forum i can observe and give an opinion on anything just because i disagree with you doesnt make my point less valid...however i am a leaseholder its just that i went into it with my eyes open knowing that in the future i would be required to pay towards the upkeep of the block with that in my mind when i bought my property i allowed for this.

the fact you were a rent payer for years only means you benefitted from a vast discount on purchasing the property not that you were paying upfront for future repairs, also the fact you pay full council tax is irrelavent.

all the work required was given to leaseholders through the leaseholder forums and also via letter so to imply this has been forced on you is wrong.

The fact that I got a letter from the LMT stating that they were going to be doing major works,has got nothing to do with the fact that leaseholders are paying through the nose.Plus we have no input into the decisions that are made about work that is done to the property,we are dictated too.Did you purchase your place at a "vastly reduced rate"?Last but not least,it is being forced on me,I didn't ask for it,and I'm sure thousands of other leaseholders share my point of view!Your views are in a minority!

I'll be very surprised if it's cheaper to bring repairs and maintenance back in house. There will be all the overheads of employing individuals, and managing them. A whole new department perhaps. And let's not forget the cost of rebranding. All those costs currently sit with Kier, and were one of the main reasons why local authorities outsourced R&M departments in the first place. Swings and roundabouts.

so how can these people get anything done ?

They could negotiate a non-statutory management scheme similar to RTM; or even RTE.

They could negotiate a non-statutory management scheme similar to RTM; or even RTE.

so whats the difference and will they be able negotiate different companies to do the work ?

i didnt think LA flats could RTM, and RTE would in all probability be a non starter due to the 2/3rds rule, but as its your job youd probably know

---------- Post added 28-03-2016 at 20:09 ----------

The fact that I got a letter from the LMT stating that they were going to be doing major works,has got nothing to do with the fact that leaseholders are paying through the nose.Plus we have no input into the decisions that are made about work that is done to the property,we are dictated too.Did you purchase your place at a "vastly reduced rate"?Last but not least,it is being forced on me,I didn't ask for it,and I'm sure thousands of other leaseholders share my point of view!Your views are in a minority!

what input do you want to have?

did you attend any of the leaseholder forums to ask about this when you were invited?

and to answer the question yes i did purchase my flat at a reduced rate.

Edited by Narden Dee

i didnt think LA flats could RTM, and RTE would in all probability be a non starter due to the 2/3rds rule, but as its your job youd probably know

---------- Post added 28-03-2016 at 20:09 ----------

what input do you want to have?

did you attend any of the leaseholder forums to ask about this when you were invited?

and to answer the question yes i did purchase my flat at a reduced rate.

I want to have input in the decisions,that affect me.I wasn't invited to any leasehold forums,and first you big-up rent payers,like it's wrong to buy your flat,then you admit you got your place cheap.The statement you made about making allowance for future expenditure on your block shows me how smug you are.Maybe you've not been billed £2,500 for guttering,or did you buy to let?You mentioned about"investment projects".

I want to have input in the decisions,that affect me.I wasn't invited to any leasehold forums,and first you big-up rent payers,like it's wrong to buy your flat,then you admit you got your place cheap.The statement you made about making allowance for future expenditure on your block shows me how smug you are.Maybe you've not been billed £2,500 for guttering,or did you buy to let?You mentioned about"investment projects".

all leaseholders are invited to the forums, letters were sent to all leaseholders you obviously didnt read the correspondance.

can you point to where i said it was wrong to buy a flat ? or where i bigged up rent payers ? if by making allowances for future works makes me smug then so be it but by your rationale what does your inability to plan for the future make you? naive? foolish?.

i think you mean i mentioned the councils investment projects inso much as to keep the building in a good state of repair if you dont understand that then i give up

so whats the difference and will they be able negotiate different companies to do the work ?

Statutory RTM does not apply against Local Authority freehold reversioners.

But the Council and leaseholders could negotiate a non-statutory equivalent.

all leaseholders are invited to the forums, letters were sent to all leaseholders you obviously didnt read the correspondance.

can you point to where i said it was wrong to buy a flat ? or where i bigged up rent payers ? if by making allowances for future works makes me smug then so be it but by your rationale what does your inability to plan for the future make you? naive? foolish?.

i think you mean i mentioned the councils investment projects inso much as to keep the building in a good state of repair if you dont understand that then i give up

You didn't mention any investment projects by the council,you mentioned "advice by a solicitor for investment projects,we didn't buy our flat as an investment project,we bought it as a home.I always plan for the future,it's called a healthy current account.It's obvious you haven't been billed for £2,500 for guttering,have you?I read all correspondence from Sheffield City Council and LMT,after all it affects me and,I did not get invited to any Leaseholder's Forum.You are unreal!Go and air your views on Twitter,it's more your style!

Edited by Mark Mitchel
Spelling mistake

You didn't mention any investment projects by the council,you mentioned "advice by a solicitor for investment projects,we didn't buy our flat as an investment project,we bought it as a home.I always plan for the future,it's called a healthy current account.It's obvious you haven't been billed for £2,500 for guttering,have you?I read all correspondence from Sheffield City Council and LMT,after all it affects me and,I did not get invited to any Leaseholder's Forum.You are unreal!Go and air your views on Twitter,it's more your style!

no what i said was

any large investment projects would have been higlighted by the solicitor prior to purchase

in reply to another posters question yet again you seem to have grasped the wrong end of the stick, oh and ill say it again all leaseholders are invited to the forums.