Best song ever?

I could never get my head around the fact that it was not their first single as opposed to Love Me Do.[/QU

Yes Mr.T. I thought the 'B' side 'P.S.I Love You." was better but in October 1962 no one knew in what direction this band was going not even themselves, Brian Epstein or, George Martin (R.I.P.) but three months later in January 1963 with the release of "Please Please Me", the rock/pop world (including myself) soon found out !

---------- Post added 09-03-2016 at 19:42 ----------

For production values alone "Backstabbers" by the O'Jays takes some beating.

So does "I'm Not in Love" by 10cc (1975) but thank you.

---------- Post added 09-03-2016 at 19:58 ----------

Are you sure you're right about that, I could be wrong (I usually am, now the memory's going) but I seem to remember going to the City hall the first time they were on and am sure Tommy Roe was top of the bill, we went the second time when they headlined but by then you couldn't hear much because the screaming had started, so didn't bother the third time. Never the less, great times. Incidentally I remember reading years later the writer saying what incredible maturity Paul had shown in writing that first line in a conversational tone, just like a teenager talking to his mate, 'she was just seventeen, you know what I mean,' how it was written with a nudge and a wink.

And what a day to be talking about this, on the day that another musical genius has died.

I think Tommy Roe -hit at the time 'Sheila'- was part of that tour but don't recall him at the City Hall. those I do remember on that evening were the very excellent singer, South African Danny Williams and a an entertainer I always liked, Kenny Lynch, the compare that evening was the Irish comedian Dave Allen who had yet to become prominent to British audiences

I could never get my head around the fact that it was not their first single as opposed to Love Me Do.

According to wiki it wasn't written until 17 days after 'Love Me Do' was released. It could have been their second single but good as it is I don't think it would have had the same impact as 'Please Please Me' or 'She Loves You' for that matter. They were real ground breakers, very original both of them.

According to wiki it wasn't written until 17 days after 'Love Me Do' was released. It could have been their second single but good as it is I don't think it would have had the same impact as 'Please Please Me' or 'She Loves You' for that matter. They were real ground breakers, very original both of them.

Yes Jim, 'Please Please Me' was their second single and their first number one, whereas 'Love Me Do' only flittered around the lower 'charts' (remember them ?) in Oct-Nov 1962.

I could never get my head around the fact that it was not their first single as opposed to Love Me Do.[/QU

Yes Mr.T. I thought the 'B' side 'P.S.I Love You." was better but in October 1962 no one knew in what direction this band was going not even themselves, Brian Epstein or, George Martin (R.I.P.) but three months later in January 1963 with the release of "Please Please Me", the rock/pop world (including myself) soon found out !

---------- Post added 09-03-2016 at 19:42 ----------

So does "I'm Not in Love" by 10cc (1975) but thank you.

---------- Post added 09-03-2016 at 19:58 ----------

I think Tommy Roe -hit at the time 'Sheila'- was part of that tour but don't recall him at the City Hall. those I do remember on that evening were the very excellent singer, South African Danny Williams and a an entertainer I always liked, Kenny Lynch, the compare that evening was the Irish comedian Dave Allen who had yet to become prominent to British audiences

You're quite right, told you my memory was going I've just googled it.

First appearance in Sheffield on a break from Helen Shapiro tour at Azena on 13 Feb 63, then city hall with her on 2 March. Returned on 16 March backing Chris Montez, Tommy Roe etc. That's the first one I went to. Great days, I just wish I could remember them better.

Our own Joe Cockers

With A Little Help From My Friends makes my day every day.

That explains a lot Jim, thanks. I always assumed that their first album was completed before any singles were released, which has been the norm for decades since.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 23:09 ----------

Yes Jim, 'Please Please Me' was their second single and their first number one, whereas 'Love Me Do' only flittered around the lower 'charts' (remember them ?) in Oct-Nov 1962.

Charts? Isn't that a nickname for accountants these days?;)

My best two are jack to a King /ned Miller and think twice by Claude Powell

Its a hard decision to make having to select just one. Lots of songs where the name Bacharach appears as writer come to mind.

If I have to settle for just one it would be one of these two:

'Goodbye To Love' by Carpenter/Bettis the first pop ballad that used a prominent electric guitar solo or 'Superstar' by Russell/Bramlett and sung with exquisite emotion by Karen Carpenter, a true superstar.

Its a hard decision to make having to select just one. Lots of songs where the name Bacharach appears as writer come to mind.

If I have to settle for just one it would be one of these two:

'Goodbye To Love' by Carpenter/Bettis the first pop ballad that used a prominent electric guitar solo or 'Superstar' by Russell/Bramlett and sung with exquisite emotion by Karen Carpenter, a true superstar.

That reminds me of another one I love "Heartbreaker" Dionne Warwick.

At the moment I'm listening to one of my favourite cds "Nine Tonight" Bob Segers live concert, rock'n'roll at its very best.

Edited by rainbow2411

That reminds me of another one I love "Heartbreaker" Dionne Warwick.

At the moment I'm listening to one of my favourite cds "Nine Tonight" Bob Segers live concert, rock'n'roll at its very best.

Heartbreaker, great song from Barry Gibb and one of 10 consecutive songs written by him that reached number one on the Billboard charts in the seventies. That will never happen again.

In my opinion it has to be Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen.