Rod Stewart - Maggie May

Abba - Dancing Queen

Eagles - New Kid In Town

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

Chuck Berry - Johnny Be Good

Barrett Strong - Money

Foreigner - I Want To ( wanna :) ) Know What Love Is

Rod Stewart - Maggie May

Good set of songs but prefer Beatles version of Money, mainly because of Lennon's vocals, also I must admit I didn't hear Strong's original version until a few years after, so maybe I was already biased.

Abba - Dancing Queen

Eagles - New Kid In Town

Jackson Browne - Running On Empty

Chuck Berry - Johnny Be Good

Barrett Strong - Money

Foreigner - I Want To ( wanna :) ) Know What Love Is

Rod Stewart - Maggie May

How could I have forgotten the Eagles! Another favourite of mine.

Very difficult to pick one song! Amongst my favourites is "Thinking of you" by the Colourfield. (One of Terry Hall's groups.) I think it was a hit in 1985 and I've been listening to it in the car lately.

Terry Hall, he as in 'Lenny the Lion' ?

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 19:37 ----------

Best pre-Beatles British pop/rock song (for me), Johnny Kidd and the Pirates "Shakin' All Over'. and if one can name a better song than the 'Fab Four's' "Your Gonna Lose That Girl', then I'm all ears !

Edited by stpetre
Spell

Everybody has a favourite song, for whatever reason. Mine has never changed in 60 plus years of listening to music, it is, I want you, I need you and I love you by Elvis Presley way back in 1956. I have loved all kinds of music since, but that was my all time favourite. Come on, you all have one song that moves and inspires you more than any other, let's hear all about it.

Close to the top :nod:

ENJOY! :D

:banana: :banana: :partyhat:

Terry Hall, he as in 'Lenny the Lion' ?

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 19:37 ----------

Best pre-Beatles British pop/rock song (for me), Johnny Kidd and the Pirates "Shakin' All Over'. and if one can name a better song than the 'Fab Four's' "Your Gonna Lose That Girl', then I'm all ears !

Pretty good B side from the lads, but my fave of their early days and written by them was, "I saw her standing there" and that wasn't even on a single in the UK. By the way 'Shaking All Over" was pure classic especially the guitar work.

Edited by TORONTONY

Pretty good B side from the lads, but my fave of their early days and written by them was, "I saw her standing there" and that wasn't even on a single in the UK. By the way 'Shaking All Over" was pure classic especially the guitar work.

Yes Mr.T. I think we have spoken about 'Shakin All Over' before (Joe Moretti studio lead guitar). However. in early March 1963 I was at the 'Helen Shapiro Tour' (she wasn't bad either) at Sheffield's City Hall. The Beatles, who closed the first half, I was about fifteen feet at shoe level from Paul McCartney as he stomped his 'Cuban Heeled' right foot four times and yelled into their opening number 'Wunn !, Wunn !!, Wunn, Too Three Farr !!, into that great song an evening I will never forget. (They wore the same suits that night as in the "Please Please Me " album cover.

Very difficult to pick one song! Amongst my favourites is "Thinking of you" by the Colourfield. (One of Terry Hall's groups.) I think it was a hit in 1985 and I've been listening to it in the car lately.

Thinking of you by Colourfield is a good choice. It's a fantastic tune from 1985. I would add Love Action ( I believe in love) by Human League and Calling all the heroes by It Bites from 1986 as two of my favourite pop songs.

Yes Mr.T. I think we have spoken about 'Shakin All Over' before (Joe Moretti studio lead guitar). However. in early March 1963 I was at the 'Helen Shapiro Tour' (she wasn't bad either) at Sheffield's City Hall. The Beatles, who closed the first half, I was about fifteen feet at shoe level from Paul McCartney as he stomped his 'Cuban Heeled' right foot four times and yelled into their opening number 'Wunn !, Wunn !!, Wunn, Too Three Farr !!, into that great song an evening I will never forget. (They wore the same suits that night as in the "Please Please Me " album cover.

I could never get my head around the fact that it was not their first single as opposed to Love Me Do.

Are you sure you're right about that, I could be wrong (I usually am, now the memory's going) but I seem to remember going to the City hall the first time they were on and am sure Tommy Roe was top of the bill, we went the second time when they headlined but by then you couldn't hear much because the screaming had started, so didn't bother the third time. Never the less, great times. Incidentally I remember reading years later the writer saying what incredible maturity Paul had shown in writing that first line in a conversational tone, just like a teenager talking to his mate, 'she was just seventeen, you know what I mean,' how it was written with a nudge and a wink.

And what a day to be talking about this, on the day that another musical genius has died.

For production values alone "Backstabbers" by the O'Jays takes some beating.

Are you sure you're right about that, I could be wrong (I usually am, now the memory's going) but I seem to remember going to the City hall the first time they were on and am sure Tommy Roe was top of the bill, we went the second time when they headlined but by then you couldn't hear much because the screaming had started, so didn't bother the third time. Never the less, great times. Incidentally I remember reading years later the writer saying what incredible maturity Paul had shown in writing that first line in a conversational tone, just like a teenager talking to his mate, 'she was just seventeen, you know what I mean,' how it was written with a nudge and a wink.

And what a day to be talking about this, on the day that another musical genius has died.

Can't take sides on that argument, all though I have performed at the City Hall, I never went to any concerts there as an audience member. Although I saw a lot of big names at the Gaumont, Rawmarsh baths, Rotherham baths in the sixties.