Best song ever?

On 06/02/2019 at 06:49, pattricia said:

I do have to pick THE song as well by Frank Sinatra : My Way. 

Which has now become the the most popular funeral song. I admit I preferred it when Dorothy  Squires sang it.

I known John Lennon's Imagine  has been mentioned  but I'll  say it again along with

No Regrets .--Edith Piaf the French singer and

Bridge Over Troubled Waters.  -- Simon and Garfunkel.

1 hour ago, jaffa1 said:

I known John Lennon's Imagine  has been mentioned  but I'll  say it again along with

No Regrets .--Edith Piaf the French singer and

Bridge Over Troubled Waters.  -- Simon and Garfunkel.

Two good songs there Jaffa.

On 06/02/2019 at 14:38, St Petre said:

If we're going down the anti-war song road, then Barry McGuire's 'Eve of Destruction' (1965) takes some beating for me. Some prophetic lyrics in there too.

Another great song decrying war, but that one was more of a protest song about American involvement in Vietnam and the cold war situation, much like the early Dylan stuff, all in the 60s era. The song Seeger wrote was aimed at the futility of all military conflicts per se.

Can't  live if living is without you.  --Harry Nilson

There's  no pleasing you...-- Chas and Dave

22 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Can't  live if living is without you.  --Harry Nilson

There's  no pleasing you...-- Chas and Dave

There is a sad irony about that line on the first song you mention. The writers of the song, Pete Ham and Tommy Evans of Badfinger both committed suicide within a year of each other after their American music manager stole all the money they made from all their hits. 

1 hour ago, Ontarian1981 said:

There is a sad irony about that line on the first song you mention. The writers of the song, Pete Ham and Tommy Evans of Badfinger both committed suicide within a year of each other after their American music manager stole all the money they made from all their hits. 

Ham committed suicide in 1975 - Evans in 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badfinger

23 hours ago, Longcol said:

Ham committed suicide in 1975 - Evans in 1983.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badfinger

I guess I should have said a few years after.  lol. I watched a doc. onYou Tube, a few weeks back about the whole sorry business and just got my wires crossed. So sad anyway, that jerk who ripped them off should rot in hell (if there is such a place). That guy was another Allen Klein who ripped off the Stones and broke up the Beatles. I was surprised to hear that they wrote Without You which itself must have generated millions apart from all their other hits.

I'd offer Roxy Music's 'All I Want Is You' as the template for the perfect pop/rock single. Great lyrics, driving, infectiously catchy, memorable, timeless..... what more do you need? 

12 hours ago, wearysmith said:

I'd offer Roxy Music's 'All I Want Is You' as the template for the perfect pop/rock single. Great lyrics, driving, infectiously catchy, memorable, timeless..... what more do you need? 

Not even in their top half dozen songs - certainly not a patch on "Love Is The Drug", "Virginia Plain", "The Strand" and more.