Best song ever?

Everybody has a favourite song, for whatever reason. Mine has never changed in 60 plus years of listening to music, it is, I want you, I need you and I love you by Elvis Presley way back in 1956. I have loved all kinds of music since, but that was my all time favourite. Come on, you all have one song that moves and inspires you more than any other, let's hear all about it.

Everybody has a favourite song, for whatever reason. Mine has never changed in 60 plus years of listening to music, it is, I want you, I need you and I love you by Elvis Presley way back in 1956. I have loved all kinds of music since, but that was my all time favourite. Come on, you all have one song that moves and inspires you more than any other, let's hear all about it.

Great song by a great singer. When I think about this, the song that changed everything for me is not my favourite but a seminal point in UK music was 'Love Me Do' it brought the Beatles to public attention and ultimately made British music universally popular, even right up to today.

But my favourite song has got to be 'Highway Star' by Deep Purple. Four virtuoso musicians backing the best ever rock singer of this type of music.

It's got great lyrics that just go with the backing, super keyboard and guitar solo and drums and bass that complement the rest.

What makes it even more remarkable is that it's done by five people who were seemingly always falling out.

Best pop song or favourite pop song two very different questions,best on sales would be candle in the wind redone by Elton John, favourite would be solo by Sandy Deny the Tony Wilson recreation as played on the Alan Freeman Saturday rock show or hey joe by the Jimi Hendrix experience.

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 11:33 ----------

Great song by a great singer. When I think about this, the song that changed everything for me is not my favourite but a seminal point in UK music was 'Love Me Do' it brought the Beatles to public attention and ultimately made British music universally popular, even right up to today.

But my favourite song has got to be 'Highway Star' by Deep Purple. Four virtuoso musicians backing the best ever rock singer of this type of music.

It's got great lyrics that just go with the backing, super keyboard and guitar solo and drums and bass that complement the rest.

What makes it even more remarkable is that it's done by five people who were seemingly always falling out.

or space trucking, one complete album side.

Best pop song or favourite pop song two very different questions,best on sales would be candle in the wind redone by Elton John, favourite would be solo by Sandy Deny the Tony Wilson recreation as played on the Alan Freeman Saturday rock show or hey joe by the Jimi Hendrix experience.

Too right. Also Hey Joe, brilliant intro. But then again anything by Jimi Hendrix I couldn't argue against.

Too right. Also Hey Joe, brilliant intro. But then again anything by Jimi Hendrix I couldn't argue against.

Who was the guy trying to steal Jimi's beer during his rendition of "all along the watchtower" . He keeps shouting "hey" to the man. LOL:cool:

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 11:11 ----------

Yes the thread title should have read favourite not best, because that is what I was looking for.

Who was the guy trying to steal Jimi's beer during his rendition of "all along the watchtower" . He keeps shouting "hey" to the man. LOL:cool:

I apologise for going off thread, but I remember seeing Pete Townshend talking about the first time he went with some other musicians to see Jimi Hendrix When he started playing they looked at each other as if to say "we can't compete with that".

As for Hey Joe, the intro used to be my party piece. A mate of mine did me the notation, for a relatively short intro it had everything, slides, pull offs, hammer ons etc, with my limited skills it took me ages to learn something he did effortlessly. As Gillan sang about Ted the mechanic "what a guy".

I apologise for going off thread, but I remember seeing Pete Townshend talking about the first time he went with some other musicians to see Jimi Hendrix When he started playing they looked at each other as if to say "we can't compete with that".

As for Hey Joe, the intro used to be my party piece. A mate of mine did me the notation, for a relatively short intro it had everything, slides, pull offs, hammer ons etc, with my limited skills it took me ages to learn something he did effortlessly. As Gillan sang about Ted the mechanic "what a guy".

I read where Clapton turned to Townshend, and said 'I think we should start to practice a little more" while they watched Hendrix in his first gig at the Marquee club .

I'm not really a "pop" song buff but one song that does press the right buttons and stands the test of time for me is 'Do I Love You' by the Ronettes. Simple, positive lyrics; danceable tune; great production (even if by a weird guy); three talented singers; and it still gives me goose bumps when I hear it.

I'm not really a "pop" song buff but one song that does press the right buttons and stands the test of time for me is 'Do I Love You' by the Ronettes. Simple, positive lyrics; danceable tune; great production (even if by a weird guy); three talented singers; and it still gives me goose bumps when I hear it.

Yeah, that weird guy married one of the gals. Don't know the song you mentioned, but I always liked Baby I Love You by them

Can't pick one so I picked ten....:D

Cry-Johnny Ray

You're Breaking My Heart-Vic Damone

Summer Wind-Frank Sinatra

The Good Life-Tony Bennett

Son This Is She-John Leyton

Unchained Melody-Righteous Bros

Put Your Head On My Shoulder-Paul Anka

Ramblin' Rose-Nat King Cole

I'll Be Seeing You-Billie Halliday

When You Were Sweet Sixteen-The Fureys.

the word pop loosely fits...

This is an impossible task, there have been so many favourites over my long life but The Everly Brothers "Let It Be Me" will always be high on my play list.

This is an impossible task, there have been so many favourites over my long life but The Everly Brothers "Let It Be Me" will always be high on my play list.

Wow, what a fantastic song. Willie Nelson and Elvis among others have also done great versions. Absolute classic, and I think the Everly's version was a 'b' side, not 100% sure on that though. Great choice.

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 00:06 ----------

Can't pick one so I picked ten....:D

Cry-Johnny Ray

You're Breaking My Heart-Vic Damone

Summer Wind-Frank Sinatra

The Good Life-Tony Bennett

Son This Is She-John Leyton

Unchained Melody-Righteous Bros

Put Your Head On My Shoulder-Paul Anka

Ramblin' Rose-Nat King Cole

I'll Be Seeing You-Billie Halliday

When You Were Sweet Sixteen-The Fureys.

the word pop loosely fits...

A lady's prerogative, of course, I will however select the one song to qualify for my question....drum roll....I'll be seeing you- Billie Holliday, there you go ma-am:cool:

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 00:09 ----------

Lol all the top groups were falling out in those days

Edited by TORONTONY