Sheffield city council playing unfair with disabled people

Having tried to renew my mobility bus pass, I have been refused. I have done everything by the book, told them my illnesses, and disabilities. I have an option to appeal, but only if my psychiatrist fills the appeal form in. They have took no notice of my physical ailments, and told me a gp is not allowed to fill the appeal form in.

In Rotherham, Barnsley, and Doncaster GP's are allowed to fill bus pass forms in. In Sheffield only CPN's, Psychartrists and physiotherapists are allowed to fill them in.

So how does a person without any of the above go on? I have no psychiatrist, no physio, and no cpn, just a gp who understands my conditions, and is quite prepared to sign my appeal, but is not allowed. I'm sure many people have been treated unfairly like this.

I am more concerned that Sheffield city council is setting their own parameters and making it impossible for disabled people to get a bus pass to save money.

Whilst it is quite correct for any council benefit to be periodically reviewed it is not correct that an application has to be signed by anybody.

In another thread I explained that an autistic person might not have any ongoing medical intervention and therefore can only rely on their original diagnosis and Rygate assessments up to school leaving age.

The lack of an expert signature and level of "intelligence" were grounds for rejection.

Because this appeared to be based on the 2006 Act, I asked (Dec 2014) that another worker had another look before appeal using the very different Equality Act of 2010 which says

" You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."

Re submitting the application to a person more familiar with the 2010 Act and highlighting the sections that apply to you avoided the need for appeal. Indeed the second person was not at all sympathetic or 'maternal' but new her stuff and was sorted in a phone call that lasted less than two minutes.

I did ring and told them they had taken no account of my physical problems, and only assessed on my mental health issues, and very loosely. The bloke said I could appeal and someone would ring me. I was rang but didn't hear the phone, and was told on answerphone, that only a psychiatrist is allowed to fill my form in. Considering I had told them I wasn't on the CPA, this new person knew I had no psychiatrist, and is making it impossible for me to appeal, I have a good GP, who is willing to help. I may try the equality act, you mentioned. Thanks

I would send in the GP letter regardless and request a senior team member assess your request

Further update, doctor sent form in. She wasn't impressed by council's stance, and is stating I should be in receipt of a pass with a carer. That'll teach them.