Gluten free products are about to be terminated on NHS

Guest sibon
I eat 4 slices of gluten free bread a day , 6 days a week for my sandwiches for my lunch at work, these are very small slices from the 400g loafs. That roughly equates to around 2 and a half 400g loafs, so really it is very close to eating a normal size loaf. What the companies say they sell and what they have in stock is another thing, the only loafs that i see that are left on the shelf's are the more expensive ones at around £3.00. That would equate to around £7.50 per week for gluten free bread compared to normal loafs you can get for under £1.00.

Myself and many other have a potential life threatening condition which we cannot help , i wonder if CCG's will be stopping Methadone for people who have chosen through their own choice to bugger up their bodies.

Hi Master Jedi

There is an excellent gluten free baker who sells at Dronfield and Bradfield markets. His bread is £2.20 a loaf and is lovely. You could buy a month's supply from him and freeze it.

That's what I do anyway.

Please also remember, bread is food, methadone is medicine.

My local health trust are proposing to change -

• To not routinely fund gluten-free foods on a prescription basis.

• We will routinely commission the prescribing of non-branded (generic) products unless there is a medical reason.

• To not routinely fund a range of “over the counter” medicines on prescription.

Again, this should be a nationwide policy, or not, which ever side you are on.

I dont think a prescription should fund something costing less than £1/2

Edited by nikki-red

Healthy living is not a place to discuss medical issues

Edited by Obelix

My local health trust are proposing to change -

• To not routinely fund gluten-free foods on a prescription basis.

• We will routinely commission the prescribing of non-branded (generic) products unless there is a medical reason.

• To not routinely fund a range of “over the counter” medicines on prescription.

Again, this should be a nationwide policy, or not, which ever side you are on.

I dont think a prescription should fund something costing less than £1/2

I fully support this stance. I think we discussed gluten free foods or in fact any specific dietary needs foods on another thread and my view has stayed the same, no food should be given on prescription, but the costs of special foods for genuine and doctor approved dietary needs should be subsidised to bring them inline with equivalent non-special foods, but only to those who have their needs confirmed by a doctor. I don't think we should start allowing anyone who thinks they have a gluten allergy to receive a subsidy for their food choices.

Gluten free foods are not less than that price though.

the gluten free bread and stuff they sell in Asda is not expensive.

The price difference between these and standard equivalents are small, they are available in many places nowadays.

By the sounds of it the "Gluten free on prescription" policy harks back to an earlier era when the stuff was double the price and difficult to get hold of and you had to get it from a pharmacy.

Healthy living is not a place to discuss medical issues

Edited by Obelix