Sheffielders unromantic ?

Valentine's Day is daft, people feel like they must buy their partner a gift to show them that they love them, because society says so.

Other than that, everything OK?

lol - generally yeah...unbelieveably I've not COMPLETELY been put off :-D

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 12:57 ----------

Valentine's Day is daft, people feel like they must buy their partner a gift to show them that they love them, because society says so.

...and this thread is supposed to be arguing the case that Sheffielders know what romance is...;-)

lol - generally yeah...unbelieveably I've not COMPLETELY been put off :-D

---------- Post added 14-02-2016 at 12:57 ----------

...and this thread is supposed to be arguing the case that Sheffielders know what romance is...;-)

I'm not averse to romance, just not enforced romance, it doesn't seem quite as thoughtful when you do things out of duty, rather than spontaneously.

As a general rule of thumb, anyone who partakes in Valentines Day nonsense is either having an affair, gay but pretending to be straight, hiding a very dark secret or all 3

Damn. I'm not sure which category to put myself into.

I'll create a 4th one if thats OK.

I love my GF and i'm not afraid to conform to stereotype but buying her flowers and a card.

If shes lucky, i'll buy her a birthday present aswell.

Nowt wrong with showing your better half you love them. Shes currently cooking tea so well worth the few quid spent.

When I were a lad valentines were sent to some one you fancied but you never put your name on it.The card had something like be "my valentine ?" on it.The idea was to keep then guessing.

The fewer people take part in these overly commercial nonsense initiatives the better. So big well done Sheffield!

Rock on easter and Christmas then, oh and Mothers Day and Fathers Day.

Just heard on radio 2 Steve Wright program sheffielders are the most unromantic when it comes to valentines day or have we got better things to spend our hard earned on?

Ah Steve Wright. The man who's been regurgitating the same show weekly since 1987.

Where's Yewtree when you need it the most?

Ah Steve Wright. The man who's been regurgitating the same show weekly since 1987.

Where's Yewtree when you need it the most?

What on earth are you suggesting? Oh,and unfortunately it's daily,not weekly!:gag:

Rock on easter and Christmas then, oh and Mothers Day and Fathers Day.

I take part in Christmas celebrations by eating a nice meal with those I love, no presents, no cards, no nonsense. I am not Christian, so why should I? Romance and love shouldn't be expressed once a month on a specially selected marketing day but continuously. My wife has already had 4 bunches of flowers this year alone, but none on Valentine's.

I take part in Christmas celebrations by eating a nice meal with those I love, no presents, no cards, no nonsense. I am not Christian, so why should I? Romance and love shouldn't be expressed once a month on a specially selected marketing day but continuously. My wife has already had 4 bunches of flowers this year alone, but none on Valentine's.

Odds on they were either daffies or tulips. :P

I guess you've had a few bad experiences then

Now you asked for it lol

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 20:19 ----------

I'm not averse to romance, just not enforced romance, it doesn't seem quite as thoughtful when you do things out of duty, rather than spontaneously.

Correct, my dad paid for my mums dentures, one Valentine's day many years ago, and on a later one he got her a walker. He says he is getting her a motorized wheelchair next year, but I have to be quiet about it lol;)

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 20:21 ----------

Odds on they were either daffies or tulips. :P[/Q

---------- Post added 15-02-2016 at 20:24 ----------

Have you found out who sent them yet?:D

Edited by TORONTONY

Driving through Stocksbridge yesterday I had to smile at the sight of a big, hairy, tough looking bloke carrying the biggest, most beautiful bouquet of red roses I've ever seen!!

I'm not really into Valentine's or flowers but it was lovely to see him proudly carrying his gift for his other half!

Perhaps he is still living at home with mum and bought her some flowers.