The Fox House Public House

Why would anyone want to eat at Fox House when The Grouse is just a mile and a half away offering home cooked food that isn't straight out of the freezer.

Probably because there isn't a bus stop at The Grouse.

Probably because there isn't a bus stop at The Grouse.

I've never been to The Grouse or even heard of it other than on this forum. The website is rather dated and it doesn't look like it has the same stylish image that The Fox House perceives.

I've never been to The Grouse or even heard of it other than on this forum. The website is rather dated and it doesn't look like it has the same stylish image that The Fox House perceives.

But it does offer proper chef prepared food. I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone from Sheffield would travel by bus out into Derbyshire to Fox House in order to buy the same mass produced rubbish and drink the same bland mass produced ale that you can get in any fast food outlet in Sheffield.

I can however see how someone working for the company might want to make out that it was something other than a standard chain pub in order to drum up a bit of trade in the off season. I'm sure a chain will come up with a flashy website, to gloss over the mediocrity.

Edited by foxy lady

But it does offer proper chef prepared food. I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone from Sheffield would travel out into Derbyshire to buy the same mass produced rubbish and drink the same bland mass produced ale that you can get in any fast food outlet in Sheffield.

I can however see how someone working for the company might want to make out that it was something other than a standard chain pub in order to drum up a bit of trade in the off season.

I love Derbyshire. I go there all the time exploring and walking and such. People don't just stay in one place. Derbyshire has many natural beauty spots and this area in question is part of The Peak District National Park, which attracts thousands of visitors each year.

Sorry mate, but you can't have done much exploring if you have never heard of The Grouse, or you drive down the road with your eyes closed!!

I usually walk in to Hathersage after leaving The Fox House. I don't DRIVE anywhere, as I like to enjoy the scenery not kill it with fumes.

I love Derbyshire. I go there all the time exploring and walking and such. People don't just stay in one place. Derbyshire has many natural beauty spots and this area in question is part of The Peak District National Park, which attracts thousands of visitors each year.

All the more reason for visiting the proper family run businesses and pubs that use local products and serve home cooked food, rather than visiting the chain pubs that produce food in a centralised factory and ship it into the Peak District by the truck load.

---------- Post added 18-02-2016 at 19:03 ----------

I usually walk in to Hathersage after leaving The Fox House. I don't DRIVE anywhere, as I like to enjoy the scenery not kill it with fumes.

Do you live at Fox House then?

Golly, I have eaten at the Broadfield as well. I must have a thing for Brakes food without even knowing it! I don't think all the food at the Broadfield is Brakes, their giant custard tart is not the sort of thing Brakes do and it tasted very much home made. Out of interest, does anyone know where Christians @ The Beauchief source their food from please?

most of the restaurants in sheffield will use Brakes to a lessor or greater extent for basics as well as ready made or bake off items such as Pastries and artisan breads. a lot of the food at the Broadfield is home made and very good it is too but there will be some elements mass produced>

Brakes do a very good range of artiasn type sweets but not sure about the custard Tart but a company called Petes Pattiserie do! which is factory produced and its excellent so you dont necessarily know what is and isnt home made.

i will say one thing Christian Kent would not use mass produced items but he may use ingredients from a mass produced company like Brakes, by the way Christians is no longer and hasnt been for a while but i can tesify that Christian Kents excellent offerings can be obtained at "EAST LODGE HOTEL" one the way to Matlock, it is fantastic you should try it.

In response to Foxy Lady:

No, I do not.

In response to Foxy Lady:

No, I do not.

So how do you arrive there without killing the countryside with fumes?

All the more reason for visiting the proper family run businesses and pubs that use local products and serve home cooked food, rather than visiting the chain pubs that produce food in a centralised factory and ship it into the Peak District by the truck load.

---------- Post added 18-02-2016 at 19:03 ----------

Do you live at Fox House then?

i guarantee not "all" that you think that says home made IS "home made" the Grouse included:| there are a great many centralised kitchens producing very high quality stuff.