Anyone from Stannington?

Hi - it's very interesting what you found out about Rudolph Krzok. I wondered if he was still alive - the 2014 electoral roll shows him at Ecclesfield.

It was the 'Pump Tavern' I believe at Rivelin on the Stannington side of the road, there was a large field in front of the pub, many many years ago I met a Polish guy who had that field full of Roses, as I talked with him it was obvious that he was growing these commercially for resale. I don't know if he owned that land or whether he was renting it for his business, I didn't get his name (which I would have forgotten by now anyway,) am wondering if that land is vacant now or have houses been built or some other agricultural enterprise on it.

It was the 'Pump Tavern' I believe at Rivelin on the Stannington side of the road, there was a large field in front of the pub, many many years ago I met a Polish guy who had that field full of Roses, as I talked with him it was obvious that he was growing these commercially for resale. I don't know if he owned that land or whether he was renting it for his business, I didn't get his name (which I would have forgotten by now anyway,) am wondering if that land is vacant now or have houses been built or some other agricultural enterprise on it.

There are only 2 Pump Taverns in a list of Sheffield Pubs

Pump Tavern 79 South Street, Moor

Pump Tavern Cumberland Way

There used to be a field full of roses that a bloke used as a nursery, opposite the Holly Bush Pub on Hollins Lane. Which runs from Rivelin Valley Rd upto Stannington Rd. Could this be the one you are thinking about.

The field still exists but is now overgrown. A row of houses has been built on what was the topside off the field. Now called Rivelin Park Rd The link below shows the pub

and the overgrown field

http://www.instantstreetview.com/@53.392979,-1.517384,-99.32h,-17.58p,1z

Edited by bazjea

Hi bazjea and hillsbro - You are absolutely correct bazjea it was the Hollybush (I should know better), everything else was as I remember it, it was so unusual to see a field full of Roses at the time. fleetwood

Yes, I remember the field of roses near the Holly Bush. We had an allotment in Rivelin (just upstream of the playground) and long before we kids were old enough to go in a pub we'd sit on the wall outside while dad brought us lime & lemon etc. Here is a Google Earth view of the area.

On 12/02/2016 at 08:02, Agnieszka777 said:

Hi

My family and I have recently moved to a house by the Anvil pub. We are very interested in the history of the place. We tried checking both 1901 and 1911 census but found nothing (the house was build around 1900).

We were now told that the house used to be a butcher's shop (which explains no data in the census). Does anyone know anything more or perhaps have any old photographs?

It seems I’m a few years late to this party.. but so lovely to see this thread. 

This was my Grandparents home for years.  Rudolph Krzok.. known as “Ralph” was my grandfather. He owned Matlock motors off Loxley Road.

As mentioned, my aunt was the Dentist at Forge farm dental practice for many years but is retired now. 

I was very sad to see my grandparents sell that beautiful house, but I have many, many amazing memories of it. 

On 12/02/2016 at 22:47, hillsbro said:

Hi - it's very interesting what you found out about Rudolph Krzok. I wondered if he was still alive - the 2014 electoral roll shows him at Ecclesfield.

Yes, my Grandparents moved in with my aunt for the last year or two of their lives.  When they left Stannington Rd, they retired and moved to Sutton on sea, Lincolnshire. Then lived in Brittany for a number of years before coming back to Sheffield. 

hello  zippyzag, i reckon it was your dad in the same class as me in malin bridge early sixties............paul ?

Hello, Just coming into this group and conversation as I was reading Joe‘s War by Annette Kobak about her (Polish) father. 
I went to school with Helen Krzok and was a good friend of hers. Regretfully, I lost touch with her when I left Sheffield in 1969 to study in London. My fault for losing contact.

To zippyzag1, I would love to hear how your auntie is.

On another note, Interesting is the mention of a field of roses opposite the Holly Bush Inn.

That was my dad who had that nursery! 
We lived in Hollins Lane until about 1965 before moving up to Crosspool, where he also grew roses in the allotments on Stephen Hill.